Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
HiramDawg

So what did you buy today???

I'll start.

1-Gingerbread house/family (HD $50)

10-50' cords (HD $10 each) not on sale :(

4-42" snowflakes for the roof (Big Lots $10 each)

1-box of prism presents for mega tree (Walmart $30)

33-boxes red mini's (Walmart $1.25 each) for trees,bushes & mega tree

8-boxes green min's (Walmart $1.25 each) for mega tree

8-boxes clear mini's (Walmart $1.25 each) for mega tree

12-boxes LED C9's (Walmart $5.00 each) for roof

2-45 gallon totes (Walmart 15 each) light storage

25-boxes green mini's (Lowes $1.20 each) bought 2 weeks ago for trees & bushes

post-3885-12957109996_thumb.jpg

2500 green minis (WalMart) 1.25 each

2500 red minis (WalMart) 1.25 each

2500 blue minis (WalMart) 1.25 each

18 boxes LED C9 25 lights/string (WalMart) 3.45 each

8 boxes LED C6 60 lights/string (Big Lots) 4.25 each

6 boxes 100 ct Omni light clips (Hobby Lobby) 1.50 each

Light Keeper Pro (Hobby Lobby) 10.00

Christmas Light Planner software (Hobby Lobby) 5.00

Snowman LED countdown to Christmas clock/sign (Hobby Lobby) 30.00

I'll probably check Wally World again next week to see if anything is left for 75% off.

Big Lots also had about 15 18' amber colored rope lights. I'll check back on those next week as well. That amber is pretty close to Longhorn colors!

The Walmart in my area had lights at $2.44 before Christmas but they rang up $2.38 at the register.

The $2.44 was a sticker price error.

Today they were $1.25 each at 50% off. Well, that's not 50% off even at $2.44 a box. That would be $1.22 a box. I argued and got mine for $1.19 a box based on the $2.38 price. :P

1-box of large prism presents (Walmart $30)

25-boxes red mini's (Walmart $1.19 each)

25-boxes green mini's (Walmart $1.19 each)

25-boxes blue mini's (Walmart $1.19 each)

5-boxes purple mini's (Walmart $1.19 each)

1-box 70ct LED green

1-box 70ct LED blue

3-wire trees (Walmart $20 ea), White, 350 lights each

24-lighted candy canes (Walmart $1.25 each)

[ holding off on white mini's -- to get at bigger discount ]

I'm frustrated with a total lack of LED(s) in the Denver Metro this year.

Nothing left for the sales.

Edited by taybrynn

I got 8 boxes of white leds for $15 and a box of black out caps for 29 cents

Right now 100 boxesof red minis. Going back to Wally World tomorrow for the prism presents, need 3 boxes.

Want more LED C9's for the house and other LED's but even at 3.45 they are a bit steep for me to buy in mass quantity. Plus the LED colors have not really been out there to get this year.

I am cheap so I am waiting for 75% off to cleanup.

BTW the Walmart manager believes by Sunday they may drop to 75% off. If so I will buy more clear, blue and whatever LED's I cna get my grubby little hands on.

We went to Lowes, Home Depot and Wal-Mart today.. Lowes was at 75% off and the other 2 were at 50% off..

We bought

8 - Boxes Red C7's @ Lowes for $1.63 a box

9 - Boxes Clear C7's @ Lowes for $1.63 box

36 - Boxes of Clear Minis @ Home Depot for $1.24 a box

12 - Boxes of Clear minis @ Lowes for $1.20 a box

28 - Boxes of Clear Minis @ Walmart for $1.22 a box

36 - Boxes of Red minis @ Walmart for $1.22 a box

5 - Timers (2 pack) @ Lowes for $3.00 each

5 - 25ft 3 outlet holiday ext. cords @ Lowes for $2.50 each

5 - Spot Light holders @ Lowes for $0.99 Each

2 - Spot Light Holders @ Walmart for $2.50 Each

1 - New Soldering Iron @ Walmart for $9.99

3 - Storage Totes @ Lowes for $3.44 each

1 - Box of light Clips @ Walmart for $2.25

Still looking for a Light Keeper Pro.. Lowes and HD were out. Im gonna try Hobby Lobby and Linens & Things, and Target Tomorrow..

We added I think about 11,500 Lights today..

S5030943.jpg

S5030944.jpg

200 boxes of Walmart 100ct Minis. (Blue,purple,red,green,white)

40 Boxes of LED Minis from walmart(red, blue, green, multi)

1 LED Lighted penguin

1 LED Lighted polar Bear

2 Lighted Reindeer

10 Boxes 16 Function Mini Lights

10 Boxes of garland Lights

12 Boxes of GE C5 LEDs (multis)

8 Boxes Philips Blue Mini LEDs

Edited by hccguy18

100 boxes RED

75 boxes GREEN

50 boxes BLUE

25 boxes MULTI on White Wire

25 boxes MIXED COLORS on Whit wire

TOTAL LIGHTS 27,500!!!

2 48' wire frame BUCKS

10 extension cord adapters to allow 3 cords to plug into it ($1 ea)

10 packs wall anchors for attaching lights to siding ($1 ea)

6 18gal storage bins ($3.98 ea)

TOTAL DAMAGE TO MY CHECKING ACCOUNT...

:D $396.18 :D

I had to work today and only made it to 2 Walmarts. I'm doing my big shopping trip tomorrow hahaa :D I've go exactly what I need for next year and I'll only be buying the "bargans" from now till the the shelves are empty :)

Also, I ran into a few other "light enthusiasts" while picking up my 11 cases of lights. It's great to meet people who love doing this. helps keep you feeling normal knowing that your not the only one going overboard.

Good luck to all

After what I bought after Christmas, the LOR sale will not come soon enuff!!! Looks like I'm going up to no less than 88 channels for my first year...:eek: I hope I can handle it.....Be prepared Joey, I may need ALOT of your time come October.......:D:D:D

After what I bought after Christmas, the LOR sale will not come soon enuff!!! Looks like I'm going up to no less than 88 channels for my first year...:eek: I hope I can handle it.....Be prepared Joey, I may need ALOT of your time come October.......:D:D:D

Well I guess you better hope I do not make another championship run in football then. I'll tel you what, I'll help you if you help me grid the house, deal?

Well I guess you better hope I do not make another championship run in football then. I'll tel you what, I'll help you if you help me grid the house, deal?[/quote

Hope your going to rent a really big bucket truck for the both of us to get in....LOL! Your ladder reaches MUCH farther than my height limit!

I went to many Walmarts in north Atlanta and the best ones were the one in Duluth and the one in Buford. I cleaned the Duluth one out of clear minis. The only way I got them was they all had fallen back behind the shelf and I was on laying on the ground digging them ALL out. People were giving me some looks.....I love it. Then I finished up with my clear mini needs at the walmart in Buford off HWY 20.....They had ALOT of christmas stuff left. In total.....

2,500 red minis

2,500 blue minis

2,500 green minis

15,600 clear minis

only 23,100 lights and looking for 6,900 more to add to the display making a grand total for 2009......100,000 lights.

But I just don't know what I'm going to do with the last 7,000 lights....maybe more arches. Great now I need more channels.......I need more $$$$$$$$$

stack ... love your post ... something about seeing that chevy chase avatar and reading your post ... kind of makes me happy and smile ...

Just when I was starting to wonder if I'm really crazy .. I feel normal again, since your haul makes mine look small...

BTW, beautiful display ... I'm watching your videos in complete awe !!!

Edited by taybrynn

Bulb Color Wire Color Amount

Minis

White/Clear Green 13000

White/Clear White 4700

Blue Green 12600

Blue White 700

Red Green 12900

Red White 700

LED

Mini

White Green 700

Blue Green 100

C-5 White Green 400

Icicle White 800

C-6 White Green 2400

C-9 White 225

Total Amount 49225

Also

1 Holographic Train

1 Led Deer

1 Led Crystal Family

1 Led Sleigh

With more on the 1st

Edited by mystikal74

Well now that the shouting is all over I can take stock of what we got. I did find the mother load despite what Dennis thought he found.

Here is the list of Jan 2 purchases... It's insane

60 - C7 white LED (25t)

20 - C7 multi LED (25ct)

12 - 70 ct M5 net LED

120 - m5 LED (60ct)

30 - Home Depot Acrylic Icicles 25 ct. LED

6 - Home Depot C6 white LED

50 - white mini /ww

45 - red mini / ww

30 - blue mini / ww

75 - white mini / gw

50 - green mini / gw

50 - red mini / gw

12 - 300 ct. white mini /gw (for mini trees)

18 - 300 ct Icicles

12 lighted ball ornaments (about 8")

4 lighted finial ornaments (about 16")

6 150 ct multi function lights

30 9ft branch garland

10 pre-lit trees 7.5 ft to 6 ft size.

An unknown number of ornaments but somewhere over 800

Plus many many more indoor decorations...

I didn't add up all the lights but is must be near 50,000. Nearly everything from one Wal-Mart store. (Dahlonega, the true mother lode)

I think I'll need a couple more controllers this year too. :D

Larry

Well now that the shouting is all over I can take stock of what we got. I did find the mother load despite what Dennis thought he found.

I didn't add up all the lights but is must be near 50,000. Nearly everything from one Wal-Mart store. (Dahlonega, the true mother lode)

Larry

Larry were the aisles clean after you left with all of that?

Congratulations on your great haul.

Plus many many more indoor decorations...

Larry

My wife wasn't convinced you had 20+ trees set up in side.

I definitely believe it now!

You mean everyone doesn't?

Larry were the aisles clean after you left with all of that?

Congratulations on your great haul.

No, they had so much stock, We arrived at the store at 5:30 AM, filled 8 shopping carts with what we wanted/needed. There was no need to consider taking what they had and making do. We followed a shopping list.

We actually went back the next day and picked up more ornaments because Lorraine miss-calculated how many we would need for the new black and silver trees.

I estimate that they had over 3000 boxes of minis alone. :eek: On our second trip the store manager, Tom came up and thanked us for shopping at his store.

We did. Next Christmas I think we will have a lot more. Just have to figure out the layout.

We will also have at least 4 full open house days next year. So you can all come out and see the inside for yourself. We are going to partner with the American Heart Association for the open houses and see what we can do to help them out. I survived a heart attack 4 years ago so I thinks it time for a little payback.

Larry

lost count , about 250 boxes red, green, blue 25 boxes led red 60ct 30 boxes led blue 60ct (i said I was not going to get anymore lights this year) Joey (jflex)says I am a addic , I have close to 200,000 lights in barn now and have to take down this years display and store as well ugh!!

You are an addict Larry. I think that is why we get along so well. I think I am finally done. I purchased 100 boxes of red minis, 100 boxes of green minis, 75 boxes of clear minis, 25 boxes mixed of blue and purple, 18 boxes of LED C9, and 3 walmart prismatic presents. Almost forogt 46 boxes of Phillips minis (red and green).

I am still considering buying some clear and multi LED C4's as my wally world still has more.

This haul should get me close to 100,000 lights.