Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
magii

Mini Arches

Has anyone ever thought of or made mini arches? I am thinking about going around the perimeter of the yard (next year) with a series of mini arches about 1' tall. I'm thinking only 4 channels per arch, possibly multiple colors in the future. Just wondered if anyone had ever made any or if a how to already existed. :confused:

Mine aren't that short. They're about 30". They are 8 channels a piece. I don't see any reason why you couldn't go smaller. Make sure your PVC is 1/2" or maybe 3/4 at the largest. Otherwise you'll be really stressing it to bend in a short length. Your length will need to be 4-5', I'm guessing, to get a height of 12". If you have trouble bending it you can use softer underground sprinkler tubing.

You'll probably have to experiment a bit with lengths, till you get it right.

Good luck!!!

I don't think I'm going to use pvc. I'm thinking about a wire wreath frame cut in half. If I go the pvc route I think I would permanently bend them into an arch. I made a set of snowshoes way back in boy scouts out of 3/4 inch pvc. We made a form out of plywood in the shape of a snow shoe then filled the PVC pipe with super hot sand we cooked on a BBQ grill. The PVC becomes like a garden hose. Then you drop it down into the form and let it cool. When it's cold you knock all the sand out of the inside and it's permanently in that shape. We'll see what's easier and cheaper!

My entire display is Sealed Enclosure LEDs so doubtful on the grounding but I'm starting to agree that PVC may be the way to go. Just have to figure out how to form them.

Here's mine:

http://www.plymouthlights.com/archfence.htm

2 colors/4 channels per arch, so the "leaping" happens mostly across the yard vs. in a single arch, but I really like the effect. Video coming next month probably -- I didn't do video last year, and just shot this year's tonight...

-Tim

here are a few pictures of our mini arches. We used a 100 count light string and used three colors on each. Next year we want to try 2 channels on each but we shall see since I don't want to add anymore channels (for me 88 is plenty).

We used pvc and I had some steel rods welded together that I put into the ground about 8 feet apart. THis year I had to add guide wires on them to keep them straight (we moved to a WINDY area!

Jim

http://picasaweb.google.com/jimboaverill/2008ChristmasHouseLights

I have 2 arches, 5 channels each, 200 lights per channel. I then made 2 more and plugged them together to total 4. They are set up every other one, so that you cannot really tell they are not all individually controlled. Each one is 1/2" 10' pvc, I had 10 channels to work with and wanted 2 arches so b/c I used 1/2" I had to use 200 lights per channel to cover the 10' pvc. If you use 3/4" you will only need 8 strings to cover 10'

I used a 10' 1x4 with a hole drilled about 3" inches from the end and bent the pvc to fit. Then I used guy wire (rope) to hold them up.

This is not the best video but you can see them and get the point. I will try and post some other video if I can find it as well.

Hi Tim,

Am looking to create mini-arches this year. My current ones are 5' tall. Yours look smaller. Do you know (approximately) how tall your arches are?

thanks,

Sally

I was close to what Tim did. I used Dave Horting's bracket's. They look great, but are about 2'x8'. However, Kyle Carlson (kylec) did just that. Small arches about 18" x 3'. 4 channels each I think. Had them going with DMX, but you could use regular LOR. It looked great - http://www.christmasinlakestevens.com/