Does anyone have a good Fattigman recipe? Maybe I am just doing it wrong, but the one I have is so sticky, that I have a hard time using the roller to cut it out. I have better luck using a pizza cutter, but I still have a hard time getting it off the table. I think I must be missing something simple.

Two years ago, my dad told me about a cookie his mom always made and he really missed it. I surprise him with making it. I got the recipe from my aunt, but I think there has to be an easier way to make it. I went to a Norweigin shop in Westby, WI and got the roller. No one there new how to make it or what it even looked like.

I would love to see a picture of one that is made correctly.

Here is the recipe I used:

3 eggs yolk

1 egg

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon water cold

1 teaspoon cardamon ground cardamom

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/8 cups flour

Vegetable oil

Powdered sugar

In a small mixer bowl at medium speed, beat egg yolks with whole egg until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar, water, cardamom and vanilla. At low speed,gradually beat in flour to make a soft dough, scraping beaters as needed. Let stand for 15 minutes.

In a heavy pan or deep-fat fryer over medium heat, heat at least 2 inches of oil to 375

I did an image search in Google for Fattigam and came up with this

http://images.google.com/images?q=Fattigman&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

seems to be like a cinnamon crisp in nature ....

in your recipe, it says 1 egg ... think that should be egg white ... you might have too much liquid which would make it very sticky ... just guessing...

here is another recipe ...

5 egg yolks

5 T. sugar

5 T. cream

1 T. cognac

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. cardamom

1 egg white

1 1/2 cups flour

Beat together egg yolks and sugar. Whisk in cream. Stir in cognac and spices. Beat egg white until it's stiff and carefully stir into other ingredients.

Mix in a little more than half of the flour. Let dough stand, covered and in a cool place, overnight. Use the remaining flour-as little as possible-for rolling out the dough; the less flour you use, the more tender the fattigman will be. Roll the dough out a little at a time and as thinly as possible. Use a fattigmann cutter to cut out diamond shapes. Make a small diagonal cut in the center of each diamond, and "thread" one point of the diamond through the cut. Heat lard to 350

OK tried a batch, as soon as I saw they were deep fried .. I was all over it with my Christmas present, a small Commercial grade deep fryer,

I got around the sticky part by very lightly flouring a wax paper for the bottom, press the dough on there and again flouring the top with a second piece of wax paper, Don't use too much flour at all just enough to keep it from sticking. Dusted may be a good word here.

roll out the dough this way .... then use your cutter .. reduces the stickyness ..

BTW your recipe is scrumptous, I ran out of cream for the second batch so made it with egg-nog .. WOW what a pleasant surprise ..

and the wife said I had to get rid of the rest of them.. she said they were so good that she would keep eating them if I didn't get rid of them .. *SMILE*

Thanks for bringing it up

Edited by blearning

3rd batch I added a 1/2 baking powder to make it even fluffier ...

But now my wife is really mad ... "QUIT COOKING THEM" "It's time for bed" "I will blow up if I eat anymore" ...

Next batch will be another day, but I will use a pastry flour (don't have any in the pantry) instead of all purpose ..