Animating your molds?

I was just sitting here looking at all the beautiful blow mold display pictures and I was wondering, how many of you use LOR, AL, D-Lite, the Gemmy box or another form of control to animate your blow molds? How do you use them? What are your future goals in terms of using computerization and blow molds? I'm just being curious on a quiet Monday night.:)

I'll start us off. I used 72 channels of LOR this year (of 88 available) and I do animate the molds to music. My display has major portions that are always static as I personally don't like darkness or blinky blink. I don't do a "show" per se but I try to find songs that "fit" the molds I'm using; my choir particularly so that my soloists (a Poloron boy and a Beco boy) can sing. My trumpet angels are arranged in tiers so that as the crescendo builds, they come up one tier at a time and their intensity is increased. This year we had a circle of 12 gingerbread men, each on its own channel, so that they could dance, chase, and play ring around the rosy. Others channels controlled Santa and his deer, groups of other molds, the lights, bushes, etc. My future goals would be to ultimately expand to 250+ channels to give me the flexibility to control many more molds individually.

What do you do?

with only 16 channels this year i didnt do any animation of my molds. next year i plan to dedicate 8 channels if i get another 16 channel box. if i get two then ill throw 16 channels at the molds : ) i watched a video on the LOR video pages of a huge display that had singing molds and i loved it! thats my goal!! after the blinky blinky lol and or fadie fadie lol

Jim : )

This year was the first time I tried to do any sort of "blinky-blink". I got a Mr. Christmas Lights and Sound thing for christmas last year and I hooked it up to all my snowmen this year. It turned out pretty well. I liked the effect, and no one complained about the blasting of christmas Music.

Carrie,

I don't have many molds and I don't animate them. However I do my pumpkins at Halloween. You can go from 50% or 75% up to 100% when "singing".

This way nothing goes black and actually looks very nice. I was thinking if I had your choir I'd make a simple motorized stand to slightly tilt them as if they are swaying to the music.:D

I animated my molds and turn lights on and off on some of them. I do have plans to create something along the lines of the toy soldiers from "Deck the Halls" if you watch they are on drums and rotate together on the top. I'd love to do the up and down igloo from the movie but the weather being what it is I'm sure it would end up a mess with the snow getting in.

I've always wanted to take all the tiny Santa molds I have and put them together like a choir with 3 different colored bulbs inside of them and animated them like a color organ with the music. No idea how to start but thought it was a cool idea.

Gary, what I meant by "dark" are displays that do not leave static lights on, everything goes "dark" and the only thing going on are the lights (or other display pieces) that animate a song. Not that this is a bad thing, but personally I prefer to always have a majority of my lights on at all times. I agree with you on changing the intensity, I've been doing the same thing with my pumpkin choir at Halloween but I did leave some of them off at certain points.:)

I'm running 160 LOR channels and I animate almost all of my blow molds. Lead singers and a choir. I had the do you hear what I hear song with the lamb singing to the shepard boy the shepard boy singing to the king etc. Also had the santa in the train singing with the tractors song santa's coming in a boogy woogy choo choo train. My choir peeps have lead singers bass singers etc was pretty neat and a big hit with the visiters. Biggest hit was the flying reindeer team with the rudolph song every reindeer lighting up on cue was a HUGE hit with all the kids.

Next years plans so far (yes working next year all ready) Adding 32 more LOR channels would like to add toy soldiers and make the march. (have to start collecting blow mold toysoldiers)Thats one idea I have right now and I'm sure there will be more to come.

I used 16 blowmolds, and each were on a LOR channel of their own. I lined them all up like a chorus line. I would fade up and down back and forth, put them on and off at different times, thing like that. I also used them to go on and off with vocals, they were real popular with the kids, especially during Alvin and the Chipmunks

My whole display is animated to 20 different songs. I pause after every 3 songs to let people see the lights all on at once. I have not taken a video of this years display, but here is a link to last years display with over 200 blowmolds in it.

http://members.verizon.net/mritter5/Videos.htm

Happy New Year,

Mark

Gary, what I meant by "dark" are displays that do not leave static lights on, everything goes "dark" and the only thing going on are the lights (or other display pieces) that animate a song. Not that this is a bad thing, but personally I prefer to always have a majority of my lights on at all times. I agree with you on changing the intensity, I've been doing the same thing with my pumpkin choir at Halloween but I did leave some of them off at certain points.:)

This was our first year and I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to set it up. I went with a static display on the left and right and the show was in the middle. I had a 36 inch Santa face on the roof sing, 3 snowmen, snoopy and a couple of choir peeps also doing vocals. We are using 48 channels of LOR and in the animator it all looked good, but when it was all set up she felt like when the show was running and the animated stuff ended it looked like we blew a breaker. Much like you she prefers everything all lit up so I'm thinking, as a compromise, I'm going to go static in the yard and have the show on the roof. Maybe a few things down below. Still playing around with drawings. She loves the shows that others do, but she doesn't like it when everything goes dark. I'm hoping to go to 80 or 96 channels next year which will give me more options.

Daren