Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
tfischer

Teardown Progress

I'm on break from tearing down all day. There's only about an hour left of daylight and this is the absolute worst progress I've ever had. Nothing is stored, there are piles of cords, decorations, etc. everywhere... The mini-trees won't come up -- we spent about 1 1/2 hours pulling up 8 of the 24 of them before giving up... The mega-tree still stands...

This is horrid...

-Tim

I cannot say I miss the northern snow ad ice, especially when it comes to tearing down the display. We started tearing down today as well. Of course no snow and ice. It was a little colder than normal and windy but nothing compared t what you have to deal with.

I haven't even started. With the look of the weather I probably should. I don't have much to remove, but my problem now is where to store the existing along with all the stuff I picked up on clearance the last two days.

Yeah it would be rough going up there Tim, sorry to hear your progress is not so good. I got 85% of mine down today. Nice weather today and tomorrow so I'll take the rest down tomorrow afternoon and be done. Not all put away, but for the most part it will be. Leaving some stuff out that needs fixing or redoing, everything else will be away. But remember I don't have NEAR as much stuff as you do! :-O

Tim,

Sorry to hear about that lack of progress...We are still up Thru Saturday nite...But I spent the day today taking inventory and finding out what I had hidden up in the rafters of the garage. I'm taking the time to toss stuff we were saving for a garage sale also...I've got a

Trailblazer full of stuff for the Salvation Army and Goodwill on Saturday morning.

We also found a way to hang blowmolds for more storage with twine and nails...I need the space as I hit 19 molds earlier this week, with more on the way...

Hopefully the time I spent outdoors, pulling cords & wires during the thaw, will help me on Sunday...Time will tell...

Lee

The cords is only the tip of the iceberg -- most have come right up. It's just the fact that everything is frozen into the ground... Many years in the past, I could just pull the mini-trees right out of the ground (I use landscape staples to hold them down). This year we can barely pull out the staples with a vice-grips...

The mega-tree is about halfway down. I'm breaking for dinner, then going back out with the worklight.. Nothing is organized yet, and much of it is just piled in the driveway... I'm going to finish the mega-tree than start the horrible process of storing stuff/getting ready to go through mini-lights...

-Tim

Ours are still on through Saturday, but I've been seriously sick all week (and this was my vacation week!) and haven't gone out and cleared our drive way from the last batch of snow much less think about teardown. :(

I got all of the molds in today, but there's extension cords out there that won't be free from the ice until about April. There's still some trees out there I'll attempt to bring in this weekend. Our house faces north so we never get sun in the front yard, so it takes forever for our snow to melt. Luckily we have tolerant neighbors (at least I think so). Last year we weren't able to get a couple of the trees put away until after Easter because of the ice :( I'm hoping that won't happen again this year.

We got out display down on Dec 27, Everything in the garage except for a sign, the gingbread house and what was on the house, tree's and bushes. All cords and lights probably will stay out there until spring as well. No rush to get them in.

Chuck

We got out display down on Dec 27, Everything in the garage except for a sign, the gingbread house and what was on the house, tree's and bushes. All cords and lights probably will stay out there until spring as well. No rush to get them in.

Chuck

Chuck,

Since you're so close you can come take my stuff down as I lay on my deathbed ;)

Tim,

Do you have a lot of snow on the ground as well? I have roughly 2' with even higher drifts in spots. I'm not even sure how I am going to get the lights off my roof without slipping.

Shaun

THis may be a dumb question, but could you throw some salt down where the cords are frozen and give it time to melt the ice back, or is it mainly the staples that are frozen into the ground?

I am not sure if the salt would damage the insulation on the cords, but it was just a thought.

THis may be a dumb question, but could you throw some salt down where the cords are frozen and give it time to melt the ice back, or is it mainly the staples that are frozen into the ground?

I am not sure if the salt would damage the insulation on the cords, but it was just a thought.

Hey, I'm open to any suggestions! :)

In the case of the mega-trees, it's that the staples are frozen in the ground. There are some other cords actually frozen in ice (where snow melted, then re-froze) where that might work, but salt's bad for the grass...

-Tim