Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
kedogn

Returning 2008 Pre-order sale CDI LEd's

WOW, could you post up the photos? I'm curious.

It appears to be a poorly rated electrolytic capacitor, and I thought I heard someone say once that the diodes were only rated at 50V. Cuold either be a design issue, or a manufacturing issue where the wrong part was placed. Supposedly the capacitor also interfered with the ability to make the strings fade gracefully.

I'm going to slice up one of my flamed out cords, to show the burn damage tomorrow and photo it, and post back here.

The lights bought at a later date are not eligible for the exchange (I got mine at the sale he had when the lights arrived). However after contacting Paul he did offer me a different solution so contact him directly. Since I rebuilt my rectifiers I will probably keep mine because at the c7 size the major competing brand had to narrow of a viewing angle. And I think upgrading to the retro fits will be too expensive for me at this time (gotta get my tape measure to be sure).

I don't have the mailing that Paul sent out concerning the returns. I know that my yellow 35 count M5's are on the list to return... I'm REALLY hoping that the red and green 35 count M5's are on the list as well.

Could one of you that have the list please check to see if the red and green 35 count M5's are on the return list. Or, if there is a PDF of the return list somewhere that you could provide a link to... I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I don't have the mailing that Paul sent out concerning the returns. I know that my yellow 35 count M5's are on the list to return... I'm REALLY hoping that the red and green 35 count M5's are on the list as well.

Could one of you that have the list please check to see if the red and green 35 count M5's are on the return list. Or, if there is a PDF of the return list somewhere that you could provide a link to... I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

You might want to contact Paul and request a replacement of YOUR list. Each return list was personalized for your elgible returns. Sending you a copy of mine wouldn't help you any.

You might want to contact Paul and request a replacement of YOUR list. Each return list was personalized for your elgible returns. Sending you a copy of mine wouldn't help you any.

Thank you!

I think one of the problems you're going to run into is that the replacement lights are already ordered (per the sum of the individual lists) and are due to arrive in about 75 days (according to Paul in a note to me about 3 days ago).

So unless he has some spares built into his counts, it didn't sound like he could "add" to the list. I was trying to convert some of my 100s to 50s and he couldn't accomodate (even if I paid extra) so that leads me to believe that there's not many extras.....

But like others have suggested, the first step is to contact Paul and see what he can do for you....

Randy

Edited by Randy

Yes only the pre-order is creditable. You should have gotten a letter and a attached spredsheet showing the qty's and type's that you purchased, which can be returned.

If not, I would contact Paul directly.

As far as the shipping is concerned.....CDi is paying for the replacements back to the customer. So in the end, it's a wash on shipping.

As far as the shipping is concerned.....CDi is paying for the replacements back to the customer. So in the end, it's a wash on shipping.

A wash? We paid shipping twice, CDI once. A wash would imply an equal offset.

Yeah, that's some of that "man who loses his job on the 20th of January", fuzzy Texan math right there, ain't it?

Edited by kedogn

Yeah, that's some of that President Bush, fuzzy Texan math right there, ain't it?

POST HIJACK!!!!!

fuzzy math is adding 1.2 TRILLION dollars to our national debt in 2009.. no names mentioned because as we ALL know politics is not to be discussed here!!

I personally have never dealt with a company that made me pay for return shipping, most I have dealt with send me a prepaid UPS or FEDEX sticker and away it goes. However, with that said, there is still no way to say its "a wash" honestly, but I am ok (somewhat) with it cause of the customer service that Paul provided at the start of the year and into it when I needed it.

I personally have never dealt with a company that made me pay for return shipping.

You are very lucky then. I work for a multi-billion dollar contstruction equipment company and even we don't pay shipping on warranty items. CDI is a TINY company compared to us, I wouldn't expect him to pay for everyones shipping.

I personally have never dealt with a company that made me pay for return shipping

It's about 50/50 for me. Amazon will pay for the return shipping if the produce was defective. Newegg will not. In my experience, most internet companies only allow 30 days then you must seek redress from the manu. Kinda hard to do in this circumstance.

Most companies eat the shipping on defective products. And why shouldn't they, it's their product that is defective.

It's one thing for the customer to be expected to pay return shipping for a wrong ordered product, a product that the customer simply isn't happy with, wrong color, not as bright as they thought, etc.

But a product that catches on fire??? I think not. Does anyone think that when all of those tires were recalled due to blowouts, that the people returning them had to pay for replacements to be mounted and balanced? Do you think Ford payed the towing on the vehicles that caught on fire due to gas tank issues. I would bet that they did.

Most companies eat the shipping on defective products. And why shouldn't they, it's their product that is defective.

It's one thing for the customer to be expected to pay return shipping for a wrong ordered product, a product that the customer simply isn't happy with, wrong color, not as bright as they thought, etc.

But a product that catches on fire??? I think not. Does anyone think that when all of those tires were recalled due to blowouts, that the people returning them had to pay for replacements to be mounted and balanced? Do you think Ford payed the towing on the vehicles that caught on fire due to gas tank issues. I would bet that they did.

You need to do a little research on this topic. I've got LED lights from at least 4 vendors and their return policies are all the same. You are responsible for shipping them back and they will replace them and ship back to you.

You are very lucky then. I work for a multi-billion dollar contstruction equipment company and even we don't pay shipping on warranty items.....

You mean even like when your clients order "item a" and you guys just decide to ship a look-alike "item x" instead, and when they discover that fact while the "item x" almost cause fire in their homes and your clients still have to pay for that responsibility of your decision? Really?

I think your situation is a bit different. Your LEDs from the 4 vendors aren't majorly defective as the ones that could cause a fire, harm someone or even cause death (as he was trying to point out that the firestone tires could've caused injury or death).

You need to do a little research on this topic. I've got LED lights from at least 4 vendors and their return policies are all the same. You are responsible for shipping them back and they will replace them and ship back to you.

Whats the legal definition of a defective product? Whats the difference between sending out one bad string of lights and sending out 5000 bad strings.

I'd love to see the Liability figures on knowingly leaving a dangerous product on the market.

I've really been trying to stay out of this, since I'm not involved...

But as I keep seeing these sorts of threads, I wonder what good it does to keep hashing and rehashing the details? It seems that any complaints (valid or not) should be directed to the vendor, who can then pass the buck up to the manufacturer if necessary (which seems appropriate in this case).

If people feel there's a bona-fide safety issue here, then they should take that up with the consumer product safety people, who can rule on it. If you feel the product was misrepresented, again your complaint is with the vendor first, then your state's attorney general.

I know venting is therapeutic, but if you're looking for an actual solution beyond what Paul has already offered, I think you'll need to do more than post here...

-Tim (crawling back into my cave to not discuss this topic anymore...)

Excellent post. Also, there is the Better Business Bureau if anyone has to use such a service. They have helped me out incredibly in the past.

But yes, as others have stated earlier, consumers most likely have to pay for the shipping of a recalled product back to the distributor/manufacturer, as in all electronic type products.

Stan

I've really been trying to stay out of this, since I'm not involved...

But as I keep seeing these sorts of threads, I wonder what good it does to keep hashing and rehashing the details? It seems that any complaints (valid or not) should be directed to the vendor, who can then pass the buck up to the manufacturer if necessary (which seems appropriate in this case).

If people feel there's a bona-fide safety issue here, then they should take that up with the consumer product safety people, who can rule on it. If you feel the product was misrepresented, again your complaint is with the vendor first, then your state's attorney general.

I know venting is therapeutic, but if you're looking for an actual solution beyond what Paul has already offered, I think you'll need to do more than post here...

-Tim (crawling back into my cave to not discuss this topic anymore...)

Edited by stanward

You mean even like when your clients order "item a" and you guys just decide to ship a look-alike "item x" instead, and when they discover that fact while the "item x" almost cause fire in their homes and your clients still have to pay for that responsibility of your decision? Really?

I am not involved in this and I have never ordered from Paul. Get that out of the way first.

I think this kind of post is exactly what is wrong with most of y'all that are arguing for more than a simple replacement. Paul is a distributor. He distributes lights. He doesn't manufacture them, he distributes them. You would have to have proof that Paul KNEW that they were going to ship "item x" instead of "item a". And actually, let's say you ordered 50 count red mini LEDs.... you received 50 count red mini LEDs, its not like he shipped you 49 count chartruse C6 incandescents. Yes, the 50 count red mini LEDs you hypothetically received are faulty, but how is that his fault?

You received a faulty product and the definition of that is, one that is not manufactured to some specification. I have read through the threads, it sounds like someone went and put a different part in, one that was not rated for the voltage. That in itself does not make what you ordered "item x". It is "item a" that was not manufactured to spec.

I just shipped 372 strings back and it cost me just over 60 cents per string. In the big scheme of things an addtional 60 cents per string is worth it to get a better product. If you consider what Paul charged for a full wave string of LEDs in the first place - it is still a bargain at 60 cents more.

(my 60 cents worth)