Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
SVO4Turbo

My Firework Shooting Stars - More info on them.

Hey everyone...

I'm getting a handful of e-mails every day now about the shooting stars/poles in my display. I thought it would be easier to create a thread versus answering the e-mails individually.

If you have not yet seen these, watch some of my videos here:

http://www.crookschristmas.com/Media.php

Now, before anything else, I'm going to give credit where credit is due. The resulting shooting stars came from merging a couple ideas that others had. I first saw similar stars here:

These were really cool, but I wanted to create the effect of an artillery shell firework shooting up and exploding in the air, so the shooting firework stars were born.

Now, because the fabrication place that made them for me did such a wonderful job in doing this, I would suggest that you save yourself all of the trouble, and just have these folks make them. I couldn't be more pleased. The quality of work was fabulous. Made completely out of stainless steel to last a lifetime. Contact Tim or Rachael at Dakota Fabrication. Their website is http://www.dakotafabrication.com so if you

There are 288 total in our show, but 64 of them belong to the neighbors house down the road, leaving 224 for my house.

WOW, these are great. You did a very Neat And Tidy job.

Just wondering, how many channels do you have total?

-Will

Joe,

Those look totally awesome. Very nice addition to your display.

Dude, was that sock at the top of the star? Any way to synchronize the sock? Now that would be cool!

Jeff...you need to get into your SC and go to a 12-step program for over syncronizers.;) You're always looking for SOMEthing new to syncronize aren't you?:)

Just kidding of course.

Wow! Great display!!!! Was wondering are using LED rope light and what size are the poles?

Thanks,

Harbs

I am curious as to what the black boxes are under each arch? I assume hiding the controller, but what are they?

Very nice job on the poles & Stars as well.

OK... I'll try to answer them all.

1. Yes, that is indeed a sock. A grey Hanes sock, size large. There's one on each pole to house the excess length of mini lights that couldn't be trimmed. I told my wife I don't like it when she buys me grey socks, and I finally found a use for them. We're all about high tech here at Crooks Christmas.

2. I think the poles are 3"

3. They are not LED rope lights, just standard.

4. I went with the mini lights because... A. I wanted Gold and already had it B. I didn't see gold rope light. C. Because I really wanted the sharp corners on the stars and couldn't bend the rope quite as sharply as I wanted. and D. I thought the oversized mini's were brighter when I could line them up end to end.

5. The black boxes are simply 30" garbage cans turned upside down, with a flap cut into one side, and then staked to the ground. Like I said, all about the high tech here. Keeps the snow out in case I need to open them up for some reason. Also, conceals the controllers and keeps everything relatively dry. Plus, the black basically disappears at night so they don't take away from the show. I do this with all of my outdoor controllers.

Edited by SVO4Turbo
Corrected a typo

Dude, was that sock at the top of the star? Any way to synchronize the sock? Now that would be cool!

HAHA, i missed that the first time i looked at the pictures, i was trying to figure out what you were talking about then i went back to look at the pictures, and there it was. HAHA.

-Will

Sock it to me! So it is a redneck Christmas after all! BTW, if the hood of your truck is taller than the roof of your house, you might be a red neck....

Sock it to me! So it is a redneck Christmas after all! BTW, if the hood of your truck is taller than the roof of your house, you might be a red neck....

LOL... You're calling me a redneck?? I've never sequenced a song to Star Trek!! I'd say we're even :)

(For the record, that song really cracked me up!!)

I have a question, pick me. Can I copy them? He He He. :D

I saw them in person and they are awesome.

Great job Joe.

Great guide!

But I would like to see a guide on how you got a house to sit on top of another, including the yard!

Im sure if I tried that, the house on top would have fallen down half way through the first song. I "think" I see guy-wires 20sec into the first video. Can you confirm this?

:):D

j/k

--Daniel L

Great guide!

But I would like to see a guide on how you got a house to sit on top of another, including the yard!

Im sure if I tried that, the house on top would have fallen down half way through the first song. I "think" I see guy-wires 20sec into the first video. Can you confirm this?

:):D

j/k

--Daniel L

Oh, but I can't let out ALL of my secrets....

Actually those giant block letters are cushioned and reinforced, thereby preventing top house from falling on the bottom house. Just talk to your engineering friends. I'm sure they can explain it.

I really like the fireworks/shooting stars designs. sasmuse made something similar to this with lights wrapped around poles like leaping arches, and the AL Light Storm.

How did your rope light fare wrapped that tightly around the pole. I had problems with the wire in rope light breaking when I wrapped it this way. Someone pointed out to me that I should turn them on for a while and let the rope get pliable, then make sure the two trace wires stayed close to the pole. It stopped the problem for all but a few sections.

Very nice work on the stars, and the great videos! Thank you.

Jeff

How did your rope light fare wrapped that tightly around the pole. I had problems with the wire in rope light breaking when I wrapped it this way. Someone pointed out to me that I should turn them on for a while and let the rope get pliable, then make sure the two trace wires stayed close to the pole. It stopped the problem for all but a few sections.

Very nice work on the stars, and the great videos! Thank you.

Jeff

I actually did exactly what you suggest. I plugged the whole spool in to get it fairly hot and pliable. Once heated, then did the wrapping. Didn't have any issues! But, with a 3" pole, it's not as tight of a bend as you might think.

Geez, my star info isn't enough for you people, now you want my sequences too? :)

I know it's been said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but I've never shared my sequences before (mostly because I've never been asked), and I've always created my own new ones over grueling hours and hours. On one hand, I can see where it might be helpful for people who don't have the time (or the will) to do it themselves, but doesn't it kind of kill innovative thinking by doing that? Suddenly, they all start to look the same....

I'm curious how others feel about this? Also, all of my audio is heavily edited, so I don't know that the sequence would do any good without the audio.

Geez, my star info isn't enough for you people, now you want my sequences too? :)

I know it's been said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but I've never shared my sequences before (mostly because I've never been asked), and I've always created my own new ones over grueling hours and hours. On one hand, I can see where it might be helpful for people who don't have the time (or the will) to do it themselves, but doesn't it kind of kill innovative thinking by doing that? Suddenly, they all start to look the same....

I'm curious how others feel about this? Also, all of my audio is heavily edited, so I don't know that the sequence would do any good without the audio.

You can say "NO, I dont wanna share" People wont think that much less of you. :)

I'm joking of course. I have used other people sequences before. I mostly do it for the timing marks and erase everything else. Saves time. Seeing how people do certain effects is kind of helpful. As far as them all looking the same....if you put the same sequence on 2 different displays, I doubt they would look the same.