Shipping LEDs back to CDI.

Mine were shipped DHL ground, slowest is cheapest. 14 days to CDI, $225.00 CDN for 114 lbs/ 144 strings of lights.

This probably won't help you as I'm shipping from Canada, but it may help any other Canucks with shipping.

Cheers

Daryl B.

if you haven't yet, sign up for Fedex's online shipping service, for the first 3 months you get 15% off shipping. You sign up, create your own shipping labels, and then just drop it off at a fedex location or schedule a pickup. Its pretty easy. Shipping is just billed to your credit card.

Depending on your location....it still may be cheaper to take you wife on a long weekend and deliver them yourself.

Mine were shipped DHL ground, slowest is cheapest. 14 days to CDI, $225.00 CDN for 114 lbs/ 144 strings of lights.

This probably won't help you as I'm shipping from Canada, but it may help any other Canucks with shipping.

Cheers

Daryl B.

It costs almost $1 a string to ship back??

He's in Canada, so yeah, probably.

Just an idea, but how about the guy from Oregon loading his lights up and making a tour, picking up everybody's lights along the way. Say he can do it for..................$.50 a string. He could pay for his gas.

Actually Tim, it's almost $1.60 CDN or 1.92 USD a string. That is the primary reason I was so annoyed about this whole issue.

But it's all water under the bridge now, I hope!

Cheers

Daryl B.

Edited by grump010
Edited for silly math mistake

I just did a quick estimate based on shipping a 50-lb box measuring 24X12X10 from zip code 33166 to 66085. The estimated rates* are as follows:

FedEx: $39.61

UPS: $ 43.17

DHL: $34.65

USPS: $36.52

*Cheapest available rate shown. I don't think we're in a hurry. I don't think each box weighs 50 lbs. More like 20. Maybe.

Depending on your location....it still may be cheaper to take you wife on a long weekend and deliver them yourself.

For me it would be about 750 miles one way. I am sure the cost of gas would be less than the shipping costs but I don't have the time to make that long of a trip.

Chuck, I got fooled on weight so be careful. One of my boxes was 20 X 20 X 9 and I figured 30 lbs, it was 48!!!! I have a habit of underestimating weight since I quit smoking and gained a few :^)

Cheers

Daryl B.

Interesting DHL is cheapest, maybe thats why we use them at work.

The results were just meant for comparison of the various shippers' rates - not as an estimate of actual cost.

Chuck, I got fooled on weight so be careful. One of my boxes was 20 X 20 X 9 and I figured 30 lbs, it was 48!!!! I have a habit of underestimating weight since I quit smoking and gained a few :^)

Cheers

Daryl B.

what is DHL??

DHL may not be an option for domestic shipping. They have (or already in some parts of the country) shut down that part of their business...International shipping only. I went to one of the sites they listed on their web page after calculating they were the cheapest, but they said DHL was done in the Houston area.

I'll be shipping FedEx because I work for them.

DHL has shut down their US shipping, and is only an international option now (occasionally I would see times when they were cheaper than us, but the person who always delivered was as friendly as an angry blowfish).

No matter what, I'll stay away from UPS. The last package they were supposed to deliver to me never arrived. Thank goodness it wasn't a life or death item (it just happened to be a small replacement shipment from CDI). And the one before that they couldn't find my house, even though the package they were delivering said "Christmas" all over it, and they were staring (apparently for an extended period as they were looking for my house) at my house which was probably over 50% decorated, including at least the structure fo the mega tree if not more, at the time. You would think they would have gotten a clue.

For me it's pick a day of the week and load them in my pickup and drop off on my way to work! Sorry...had to comment! :-P

But really...if you have a huge amount, you could try a place called Freight Quote, they are a freight bidding company that finds the best rate for your shipment. Not sure what it takes to do, or their requirements, I just know of them because their headquarters were in a building I used to work in years ago. Being in KC, they may have somewhat of a "local deal"...who knows. Again, I think this would be for bigger shipments, not the standard UPS/FedEx sized 50lb boxes...more like a pallet or 100lbs+.

They ended up being 25 lbs each. (About 1 lb per string.) :)

Cheers

Daryl B.

I found the same thing. And yet, Dell ships almost exclusively via DHL. Unless this is a new thing. I haven't ordered anything from Dell in a month or two.

DHL may not be an option for domestic shipping. They have (or already in some parts of the country) shut down that part of their business...International shipping only. I went to one of the sites they listed on their web page after calculating they were the cheapest, but they said DHL was done in the Houston area.

I found the same thing. And yet, Dell ships almost exclusively via DHL. Unless this is a new thing. I haven't ordered anything from Dell in a month or two.

My wife ordered me a DEll Mini 9 for my birthday. and I got it in early November. I just looked and it had a DHL shipping label.

No matter what, I'll stay away from UPS. The last package they were supposed to deliver to me never arrived. Thank goodness it wasn't a life or death item (it just happened to be a small replacement shipment from CDI). And the one before that they couldn't find my house, even though the package they were delivering said "Christmas" all over it, and they were staring (apparently for an extended period as they were looking for my house) at my house which was probably over 50% decorated, including at least the structure fo the mega tree if not more, at the time. You would think they would have gotten a clue.

I seem to remember an issue with FedEx last year...now, what was it??? Oh, yes. They shipped a packed addressed to ME (in Miami) to CALIFORNIA! :P