Free LED Message Sign: Newbies Only

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. My name is Robert, my wife, 8 year old and I, have decided to do some exterior decorating for 2009. (I have never placed lights on any of our houses in the past), So far we have purchase over 50k of lights. Two LOR controllers are budgeted for later (we have discussed the need for a lot more). We have decided on our theme and some of the displays we will have to make, so we have some family projects ahead.

I think that you are doing something wonderful, and anyone who receives this will Blessed.

We are in Central Virginia. Dillwyn (between Charlottesville and Farmville). We have plenty of room for our display.

Thank-you for your consideration.

Robert

Here is the list of Bingo Numbers for the entrants in the Free LED Message Sign contest....Chuck will help us pick a winner tomorrow.....So what surprises do you have in mind, Chuck? A live webcast? You Tube video? Whatever it is, I know it'll be fun....

Here are the numbers so far and best of luck to everyone....

Bumpus Hounds - B1

mkess - B2

iresq - B3

tommanh - B4

wichard623 - B5

gamer - B6

B Regal78 - B7

garyB - B8

installer1000 - B9

FireDog83 - B10

Bumble Yeti - B11

mmstidham - B12

travis - B13

Crazy4Christmas - B14

Christmas OCD - B15

Darlene Pino - I16

fremontlights - I17

rjnitto - I18

txgstraitbullrider4 - I19

streetrodder - I20

respond2life - I21

rob352 - I22

Leona - I23

santajr - i24

rfait - I25

Well I guess about the only thing I would qualify as a "newbie" in would be attending PLUS this year... :D

None the less, Randy does show us what PC is all about...beyond sharing information and learning and teaching techniques, showing off your ideas and accomplishments, there is a core feeling of "family" here.

There are many members here that exemplify those ideals...

I tip my hat to Randy for "paying it forward" with this give away, and to Chuck for stepping up to not only to do the drawing, but also add an element of suspense. ;)

It is an honor to make my "1000th" post in your thread Randy! :cool:

I23 here, ....lol

Just wanted to tell everyone "Good Luck" and "God Bless"

Randy,

I got to thinking should I be the one honored to win; your sign will not be standing alone. Of course there will be Christmas lights but there will be something else an Owl. I would have to do it. The funny thing is I recently received some things that came from My Uncle's estate in San Diego who passed away this June (2008). One of the items I received was an "Owl" that proudly stood in his backyard garden. Keeping watch over San Diego, my Uncle and his love for gardening. (see pic) I'd been wondering what proud place I would perch this Owl in my yard; to now watch over me and my family. It would be one of those "Why does this person have an Owl in their Christmas display?" People would say "I don't get it" But we here at PC would know there is a story to why that Owl is in the Christmas display and it would be a great story to tell all who ask; about the memory of my dear Uncle and about your kindness and the connection between the two. I believe my Uncle would be proud. If I don't win, of course the Owl will still find a place of honor in my yard.

You have some huge spiders in San Diego - The Owl did not come alone!!!!

Huge spider was living inside Owl and while I was examining the Owl out comes this huge dark spider, drops to the floor and runs under my china cabinet!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now I'm spraying poison under my china cabinet and going nuts. I can't have this thing in my house!! Thank goodness the poison brought it out. For all spider lovers, I'm sorry to say a large shoe fell on top of it. Hope your sign comes without spiders.

LOL

Went to you web site and loved "The Word Tree" When I get enough LED's I would love doing something based on this concept. A play on words to honor what is important to you.

Again thank you for your kindness and God Bless you, your wife and children.

Leona

After spending the day working to organize my garage after teardown, I got an idea to make someones day brighter by giving away a scrolling LED message sign for free to a Newbie on the Planet Christmas board....Kind of a Pay It Forward gesture...Who knows, maybe this will start something...If you have a Christmas display-related item you aren't using, how about giving it to a new PC member?

I originally purchased this sign a couple of years ago from Geeks.com. It is made by GM Light and is Model #952. It has 26 message locations (A-Z), can hold up to 250 characters per location, can display 11 colors, has letters, numbers, and symbols, scrolls, etc. Comes with the remote control as pictured and that is what is used to program the messages. The LED area is about 2 feet long and 2 inches high. I ended up purchasing another unit that hooks up to my computer serial port, so this one didn't get used.

If you're a Newbie to the PC boards, and would like to own this LED Message Sign, please post a reply below and include any relevant information about why you'd like to have the LED sign...Introduce yourself, your display, tell us what you'll use this sign for in your display, anything you think would be relevant. On Sunday 1/11/09, at Noon PST, I'll choose the most interesting / entertaining post (in my opinion) and send that person the LED sign, remote control, and DC power pack...

May the most creative person win!!!!!

Randy,

Newbie here, Just wanted to know where you purchased the one thet hooks up to the serial port of your pc?

Ed

Hi Ed,

I bought my current sign from a vendor on eBay and it is a Pro-Lite model....The software is a little shaky, but it does send data from my desktop's serial port to the sign for easier programming...

In a few short hours, the LED Message sign Bingo game will be in progress....I can't wait to see what Chuck has up his sleeve.....Probably something to do with kids or dogs.....(!)

Here are the numbers so far and best of luck to everyone....

Bumpus Hounds - B1

mkess - B2

iresq - B3

tommanh - B4

wichard623 - B5

gamer - B6

B Regal78 - B7

garyB - B8

installer1000 - B9

FireDog83 - B10

Bumble Yeti - B11

mmstidham - B12

travis - B13

Crazy4Christmas - B14

Christmas OCD - B15

Darlene Pino - I16

fremontlights - I17

rjnitto - I18

streetrodder - I20

respond2life - I21

rob352 - I22

Leona - I23

santajr - i24

rfait - I25

ecbrum - I26

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your nice comments above. I meant to write back night and got caught up in a bunch of other stuff....Sure, no problem, I'd be delighted to have you join the elite group of entrants....

Oh, and for Leona, I'll make sure there won't be any spiders included in the sign, not to worry...

The current list...

Bumpus Hounds - B1

mkess - B2

iresq - B3

tommanh - B4

wichard623 - B5

gamer - B6

B Regal78 - B7

garyB - B8

installer1000 - B9

FireDog83 - B10

Bumble Yeti - B11

mmstidham - B12

travis - B13

Crazy4Christmas - B14

Christmas OCD - B15

Darlene Pino - I16

fremontlights - I17

rjnitto - I18

streetrodder - I20

respond2life - I21

rob352 - I22

Leona - I23

santajr - i24

rfait - I25

ecbrum - I26

terrypowerz - I27

As a first year PC member and LOR user, I probably qualify as a newbie here. However, certain technical skills that I possess far surpass the newbie classification for me. Despite that though, I still have learned so much from everyone here.

The fact that everyone that hangs out here spends so much time and money to present a display for others to enjoy, then also spends the time to share their work and passion here in the forums, is an obvious indication of their strong desire to give.

I can see why Randy decided to do this. I hope that I can enlighten someone's efforts this same way in the future.

With that, I just wanted to wish everyone who's entered, best of luck in the drawing.

Tom

Welcome new entrants, and best of luck....We've got about an hour and 40 minutes left before the fun begins!!! Of course, I'll be rooting for our San Diego Chargers today, but that doesn't start until later this afternoon....

The current list...

Bumpus Hounds - B1

mkess - B2

iresq - B3

tommanh - B4

wichard623 - B5

gamer - B6

B Regal78 - B7

garyB - B8

installer1000 - B9

FireDog83 - B10

Bumble Yeti - B11

mmstidham - B12

travis - B13

Crazy4Christmas - B14

Christmas OCD - B15

Darlene Pino - I16

fremontlights - I17

rjnitto - I18

streetrodder - I20

respond2life - I21

rob352 - I22

Leona - I23

santajr - i24

rfait - I25

ecbrum - I26

terrypowerz - I27

reitan family - I28

tamale - I29

Just to whet your appetite a little bit, here's a photo of the LED sign all wrapped up in it's box ready to be shipped, with Brandon and Stephen looking on from their photos (couldn't really get them together in a good photo!).....

Coming soon.....

Edited by Randy

I've been floowing this great post with intrest. I joined here in Sept 08, and have loved every minute / post / thread. first year in light animation, still too new for music. Since becoming a member, I have learned much and attempted to imput some ideas as well. find all here very freindly and creative. It's alway nice when you need just that little 'bump' to get you over the hurdle of something so easy, but elusive, you know you have a place to go and people to help.

Applauding this idea hole hartedly! Thanks!

Dan

All right everyone....Just talked to Chuck, and he is in the middle of dealing with his leaking pool pump at the moment....He also has some family members visiting....

So, he said he'll be able to do the drawing and some You Tube video later this afternoon/evening. We'll post it as soon as it is available....

In the meantime, go Chargers!!!!!!

Here are all of the "Bingo balls". As you can see, all of them are accounted for.

Later on I'll put 1 through 29 into the cage (unless for some reason there are some last minute entries) and we'll have the drawing.

It might be a little anti-climactic to just have the first number drawn be the winner...what do you all think of making it exciting and having the person with the LAST ball in the cage be the winner?