Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
chowell

I lost a piece of me this weekend....

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My wife and I have always had lots of pets ever since we've been married (35 yrs), and have had to go through the same thing several times. It's not easy and it doesn't get any easier. Right now we have five dogs of various ages, so I know we will have to go through it again; but I wouldn't give up the joy they bring to us now for anything. Hang in there and try to remember the good times.

I thought I would bring this thread back to life since it has been awhile since I have visited it. It was nice to see some posts back in March. All is well now. We still miss Abby terribly but have come to grips with her passing. She sits on my mantle above our television in our living room, ashes and urn, watching over us constantly. It was tough to pick up her ashes that day as the only other visit to the shelter was dropping off her body. Chloe, our other golden is doing great. I have found more time to give her on an individual basis. She was actually the better behaved of the two and loves to be outside with us as the weather gets nicer. Abby loved to roam the fields around our house and Chloe would always follow along. Now she just stays in the yard with us.....well, most of the time. I have no thoughts at this time of getting another puppy. I don't know that I ever will. Chloe seems to be doing fine and we include her in our daily travels when we can. Maybe one day I will feel the urge to train and love another but for now, Chloe is enough. I hope everyone is doing well and reading back through the posts, am thankful again for all the support I received. Now get back to work on your displays.....I am way behind already!!!

Corey

Corey:

I just saw this post. My condolences. A few years ago I had to have my cat to sleep. I had him 23 years. A few days later I got a card from our vet with this poem in it called, The Rainbow Bridge. I pass it on to you and your family.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

God Bless

I, like so many others, can so relate to how you feel. I'm so glad so many have shown their support for you here, because there are lots of people who just don't understand how devastating it is to lose a pet. As an adult, I have even shed tears over the loss of a beloved hamster who was my only companion when I was going through tough times. I hope Abby is in that special place over the Rainbow Bridge, playing with our first little doggie Duchess and our cat Dinah (14 when she died two years ago) and even Twinky the hamster.

My prayers go out for you that you are somehow comforted in this time of loss.

Wow! I just came across this thread today and it really hits home! I have twin boys and a Golden Retreiver. She is 13 almost 14 and slowing down tremendously. My thoughts are with you and your family. As you know, as time goes the pain lessons, but we never forget a family member!