Just curious if it is available to change how long you have been a member or if it is in the programming in order to even be able to change. Reason I wonder is because many have been here alot longer then 2005 like myself I have been here since 2000. Not exactly on this board, but with this community. If this is not possible I might just try to do something for a avatar to show the anniversary. I just celebrated my 9th anniversary with pc a few days ago.

I'm not a vBulletin expert but that's usually just built into the software. I'm sure you could probably go in and hack the database with a custom date, but I doubt Chuck wants to mess with it.

I agree it would be nice to see "real" member-since dates though...

-Tim

Yeah I know there are alot of members who have been around for a LONG time but to be honest there are alot of missing in action people as well:( Tim you were one of the first that I asked by stupid questions to and you helped me as much as you could. Course at that time we were talking dasher, but still you helped to start my obsession. lol I know Jeff Womack was around as well, and then there was Mark Obermiller. Mark O was the FIRST over the top display that I had ever seen in person and I just knew that was something I was interested in doing. He was so kind in showing me how everything worked, and how he had everything set up. Maybe someone with alot better photoshop skills that I have can make us all like maybe a badge with official pc member since....... or maybe just official pc member for so and so years...........

Mark O's still around -- I hear from him occasionally. He just doesn't post much anymore. Most of the "old guard" from back in that era have moved on as well -- either no longer decorating, or just not posting...

About 6 months ago I chatted online with Doug Lawrence. He's the guy who essentially 'invented' coro displays with the "poke a hole and insert a mini" method... He was in the process of selling his display since he's moving and getting married... Hopes to rebuild again someday...

PLUS 2003 (the first one) was really cool. We were still a pretty small community back then and it was sort of like going to a family reunion. In addition, it was where LOR was launched! Back then a 200-channel display would have been shocking... I think Mark had about 175 or something and it was mind-boggling. Now I have that many, and it's small beans :)

-Tim

Yeah the family feel was alot easier back then. I remember Plus 2003 vividly I was at home seeing the birth of my twin daughters, Plus 2005 I was at home getting ready for the birth of my son. lol No kids on the way this year but the funny part is after I move Plus is now for 2009 going to be in the very place that I was born and lived my entire life up until about a year ago Louisville, Ky. Yeah I see mark on every so often I actually still have a precious gift that he gave me. He gave me the very set of blinking icicle lights that inspired him to start it all. Not saying the old pc was better, but it was different. I kinda split pc up in the bc and ac. Before Caron and After Carson. No one really paid much attention to all of us and our displays until his video on youtube went viral.

I guess I am part of the old guard. I was around since atleast Dec 02. Man time flies when having fun. I remember the first PLUS vividly and I am sure Tim remembers the cold showers since we only had hot water in our room so we got all the hot water. And then the 6 channels and 3 were the same station.

LOL, that was not nice of you to have all the hot water. Yeah alot of people have come and gone and many just are around during Christmas but there are a few of us who have nothing else to do so we stay around here making sure all the new people get the same questions answered over and over. Just wondering brad but when are you going to update your webpage??

After the talk of all the old guards I thought I would post these. May bring back some memory's for you old guys.

These are posted on the showing off page in 2000.

This is what he had posted when he uploaded the pics to PC:

Here are 2 photo's of our house. The second one was taken from an airplane at 500 feet above the ground. My display consists of 110,000 lights, 31 strobe lights, and 4.5 miles of extension cords. It is a computer controlled display using Dasher as the programming software. My light show is 26 minutes long. For more info, my web page address is www.computerchristmaslights.com Mark Obermiller

If you have not every had the chance to read his website it is a great read. I sat down about a year ago and read the whole thing and all i got to say is one day I hope to have the chance to meet him in person. He seems like a real good guy. Very sincere as to why he does what he does.

The other one of you old guards I would like to meet would be Tim Fischer. He is the reason that I came here in the first place. After we moved into our current house in 05 I put up all my decoration, and the neighbors came over and said that's it. Well I went searching for Christmas lights and I came to Tim's website(which is a very good read as well) and the rest is history.

I think it's guys and girls like all of you "the old guard" that make this place like what it is today.

It needs to be recognized how long you all have been members here.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Roman

post-902-129571106384_thumb.jpg

post-902-129571106389_thumb.jpg

Guest Jeff_Womack

Member since 1999ish.

Now Tim to be fair, PLUS 2003 was also the debut of Animated Lighting.

Roman, thanks for those pics of Mark's display. PLUS 2003 also marked the delivery of much of Mark's original display to people like Tim and I who keep much of it running. When Mark and Renee did their PLUT in 2004(?), Mark was able to reclaim his hand bent PVC Candy Canes at my house and take them "home". And Mark is a salt of the earth person, very few people I respect as much as I do Mark.

Now Tim to be fair, PLUS 2003 was also the debut of Animated Lighting.

If I recall correctly, all the AL products had been announced and even sold before then. LOR actually announced their original product line at PLUS 2003 (and they weren't actually available until like November of that year...) I think Dan kept the veil of secrecy pretty thick up until PLUS 2003...

-Tim

Guest Jeff_Womack

ACtually you were just roasting Drew over an open fire prior to PLUS 03, but it was the first time any of us had actually seen the product. That and of course the fact that the LOR that was debuted at PLUS still hasn't (but soon may) come out!

Note for those confused. The original LOR idea was a self contained power strip looking box with 6 channels. You could network many of them toget but you had to do nothing other than program them. Prior to PLUS any of the old dogs can quote Tim on something like this "I would never pay for something that I can easily make myself!" that in reference to LOR! How things changed with the first PLUS! We finally met face-to-face as a community, the first time most of us ever met each other or the vendors who mean so much to our displays, and the last time Chuck will ever be allowed by Marla to open the doors to her house to 100+ crazy Christmas Light people for a tour of his work shop! Good times!

LOL, that was not nice of you to have all the hot water. Yeah alot of people have come and gone and many just are around during Christmas but there are a few of us who have nothing else to do so we stay around here making sure all the new people get the same questions answered over and over. Just wondering brad but when are you going to update your webpage??

I know I need to really bad. Sad thing is the old computer crashed and no pictures were saved. Luckily I still have a few on my camera. I have some more free time on my hands now so I will have to get it updated soon.

That and of course the fact that the LOR that was debuted at PLUS still hasn't (but soon may) come out!

Dan debuted the power-strip thingy (which has never been released), as well as the CTB-08 (which is still in the product lineup but hardly anyone uses anymore) and the MP-C controller with its interchangable daughterboards (which was released but discontinued early on). In 2003 there was no such thing as a 16-channel board from LOR... Enough people were sticking to CTB-08's in a single enclosure that Dan decided there needed to be one... My first 10 LOR controllers were/are CTB-08's...

For the record I don't think I ever said I wouldn't pay for a completed product -- I was just leaning heavily toward DIY at the time. But there was no DIY community like there was today, and I would have had to do it all on my own. I had gone as far as to buy some Atmel AVR microcontrollers and a programmer but decided LOR was more cost & time effective, especially since the software was so powerful.

Somewhere I have a bunch of 2003 PLUS pics -- I should try to dig them up and post a few... Best part of PLUS back then was that the earlybird rate was under $100!

-Tim

• 1 month later...

ya I sure wish I would have been around then, in the computerized light business, I was really looking forward to getting to one of the plus meetings to try and gain some valuable info and meet PC friends but there's no way I can afford it, with transportation and event cost. its really to bad it has to cost so much, travailing wouldn't be to bad we could car pool but the event cost are unreasonable, just my two cents

been a member almost sence it started i had to redo my membership a few times do to some computer problems but i been here oh i say 1999ish or 2000ish

thanks Chuck for a great website and keeping it great keep up the great work Chuck!!!!!!!!!

We finally met face-to-face as a community, the first time most of us ever met each other or the vendors who mean so much to our displays, and the last time Chuck will ever be allowed by Marla to open the doors to her house to 100+ crazy Christmas Light people for a tour of his work shop! Good times!

Funny thing about Marla Smith... She was my assistant principal in elementary school and I'm now a freshman in college. How time flies.

Chad

I've been around since late 98 early 99. When I first joined, if I remember right Kathy Byrd was the only other woman on the board. Boy how things have changed.

Mark O is great. It was his visit during his PLUT tour and watching Walter, Jackie and Chuck on HGTV, in addition to seeing LOR in action that finally convinced my husband to get on board with the display. Only took him 36 years before he showed any interest at all. NOW HE IS SO TOTALLY HOOKED!!

I guess us old dogs have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of PC over the years.

Marilyn

Yeah too much bad and ugly around here then there was in the old days..... There have been alot of us around a longtime and I always wonder what the so called "shelf life" is for people who do large display like ours. I am young compared to many but not sure how long the display will keep growing. After a while I would think that it actually gets to be too much actual work and you lose the fun

Yeah too much bad and ugly around here then there was in the old days..... There have been alot of us around a longtime and I always wonder what the so called "shelf life" is for people who do large display like ours. I am young compared to many but not sure how long the display will keep growing. After a while I would think that it actually gets to be too much actual work and you lose the fun

Thats a great question Steve. When I started I know my wife waited a couple of years to get into it with me. She said the other day she wanted to make sure it was not a passing fancy.

Roman