GA Mini 2009

blearning

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be presenting the Radio and Antenna forum at the mini. Seeing that it scored high in the polls, I hope to cover all info that folks want to know. Having not been to any PLUS, not sure what I'm getting into. I had to pass a test to become a HAM, I should know something about radios and antennas. :giggle:

I plan to go over Part 15 rules to cover use of low power FM broadcast.

I'll also show the Ramsey FM25B, the Belkin Tunecast, and another cheapo transmitter I picked up from Target. If anyone has a different transmitter they could bring to show, that would be great.

On the antenna side, I'll show options to getting your signal where it's needed while trying to maintain compliance with the rules. We'll even build one or two and test them. I'll have a few different types to show. Would also like to compare range with various antennas.

Anyone is welcome to bring their antenna and I can test it with an analyzer that I have.

Is there anything else you would like to see or learn from this forum? In addition to antenna build, Ramsey Kit build (bring your kit if you need help with it) If we have time, we can throw in a soldering tutorial.

Anything else?

Tom

BTW, the Kennehoochee Amateur Radio Club is having their Hamfest this Saturday 3/21 at Jim Miller Park, from around 8 til 3. http://www.w4bti.org

I'll be at the Cherokee County Club table.

I'll be presenting the Radio and Antenna forum at the mini. <snip>

I plan to go over Part 15 rules ... If anyone has a different transmitter they could bring to show, that would be great.

On the antenna side, I'll show options to getting your signal where it's needed while trying to maintain compliance with the rules. We'll even build one or two and test them. I'll have a few different types to show. Would also like to compare range with various antennas.

Anything else?

Tom

Sweet... I'll bring my EDM LCD. I need to learn how to build a di-pole for it that I can hang outside.

Larry

Sweet... I'll bring my EDM LCD. I need to learn how to build a di-pole for it that I can hang outside.

Larry

I'd like to test the naked dipole I built last year. Perfect excuse to take it down from the bedroom wall and give it a proper home in PVC. Outside. :rolleyes:

Look at the GA Mini presentation links at the bottom of Kevin's site:

http://www.c3inet.com/

Hey thanks,

Great info, I wish I had been there last year. Now seeing his presentation, I have to have the RDS encoder. I plan to concentrate more on antennas, and an alternative to extending the audio to get the transmitter a little closer to the street. I had pretty much the same info to cover on FCC rules, don't want anyone getting in trouble on my account.;)

I mentioned the upcoming hamfest this weekend; if you look on slide 111 of his presentation, those poles are usually available at the hamfest, including fiberglass poles. They'd be great and portable for megatrees. The bag with 8 poles, stakes and a couple guy rings go for about $40. Those two wheel looking things, also seen in slide 112 go for about $10 at the hamfest if he has them.

Now on to research the RDS encoder. 'cept I don't have a receiver to display the text.

Tom

Looks like turkey is winning out ... so we are going forward with a Turkey dinner.

We have 27 folks so far RSVP If you haven't sent me an email address please do so, So I can send out the plans for input.

I hope to get that out this week for us, but work (thank goodness) is cutting into the planning time.

I have a brand new PC controller (PC CTB16-card assembled complete package) coming in next week and can bring that along if anyone has never seen a package that needs to be assembled. I also have a new case coming to replace one of my home made cases that got broke last year when my mega tree pole fell on it and I need to move the board and cables to the new LOR case. I can also bring a plain vanilla Mr Christmas that we can play with.

I have bought the parts and lights to make a mini-mega tree (6ft tall with 32 short strings of light). My plan is to make a miniature mega tree that I can use indoors to learn and test sequences with. Now if I can just get started on the construction, I can bring it along too.

I will bring a case of water and a 12 pack of Coke Zero. And put it in a cooler with ice if that is needed.

That will be very cool, I would like to see a Mr. Christmas in action and Larry has a bunch of wire frames that he said he could bring. We could hook up a bunch to it and have it do its thing. Sorry to volunteer your Larry. And Jim B has a bunch of cool Wire frames as well. I have a Cat wire frame that needs the lights put on and some fairies that need to be reworked.

I am not sure what style of Mega Tree Redneck is bringing to put up, but there is lots of room for another one.

now we only need a Light link.

if you have a welders helmet bring it along as well.

I should have my web cam figured out by that time to show off.

We need a Volunteer to do the DMX, Welding and wireframe Bending.

Anybody talk to Robin?

I have a brand new PC controller (PC CTB16-card assembled complete package) coming in next week and can bring that along if anyone has never seen a package that needs to be assembled. I also have a new case coming to replace one of my home made cases that got broke last year when my mega tree pole fell on it and I need to move the board and cables to the new LOR case. I can also bring a plain vanilla Mr Christmas that we can play with.

I have bought the parts and lights to make a mini-mega tree (6ft tall with 32 short strings of light). My plan is to make a miniature mega tree that I can use indoors to learn and test sequences with. Now if I can just get started on the construction, I can bring it along too.

I will bring a case of water and a 12 pack of Coke Zero. And put it in a cooler with ice if that is needed.

That will be very cool, I would like to see a Mr. Christmas in action and Larry has a bunch of wire frames that he said he could bring. We could hook up a bunch to it and have it do its thing. Sorry to volunteer your Larry. And Jim B has a bunch of cool Wire frames as well. I have a Cat wire frame that needs the lights put on and some fairies that need to be reworked.

I am not sure what style of Mega Tree Redneck is bringing to put up, but there is lots of room for another one.

Anybody talk to Robin?

I am assuming your speaking of my wire frames?, The arch twister did fine today made 2 arches was able to weld to socket and extentions seems to be holding well. so we are good to go on arches

Larrytcupp

Anybody talk to Robin?

I know you have me down for a presentation but I can also do DMX for you if you need me to. I think I might know just enough about it to make it appear I know something! LOL

RJ

I know you have me down for a presentation but I can also do DMX for you if you need me to. I think I might know just enough about it to make it appear I know something! LOL

RJ

Jeez, you really know how to rub it in to those of us who'd love to be there but can't.;)

Jeez, you really know how to rub it in to those of us who'd love to be there but can't.;)

Man now I am really let down! and I was going to use your LED's demo the Wireless DMX expresses!

BTW don't tell becky she won't have anyone to go hide on the porch and talk to while all the LOR guys are doing their thing or I will never get here to come! LOL

RJ

RJ,

I can bring the Lynx MR16 controllers and some MR16 light cannons if that would help cut down on what you are carrying.

Are you going to bring your wireless? That would be a real interesting demo for people.

Tom

Sure that will help if I get crowded. Since it will be a mini vacation for the wife and I we will have luggage also. You don't have a Ledtriks do you ? LOL I was ask to bring one and I can but it will be a tough fit.

Why of course I am bring wireless equipment! What half respecting Lynx designer that knows how to spell DLA would ever leave home with out it? LOL

When everyone gets bored of me I will bring it out to make things more interesting.

RJ

Sorry, since I don't use Vixen I do not have a Trix. If Aurora develops support for 3rd party drivers then I will probably go back and look at building one.

I do have both Lynx MR16s, Freestyles and Express (Not ver 2).

Looking forward to meeting you.

Tom

Wait for the Ledtrik II you will be happy you did. It is color and much easier to build. And really not much more costly. Plus it will work with more software.

RJ