Best anti virus software program?

Norton is the best by far, but yes it is truly a memory hog. The basic version isn't a bad as the internet security version. I switched to AVG which I highly recommend. You can find it on (www.download.com). There are two versions, the free, and the standard edition. I have used the free for some time now without any complaints. Don't forget to look into anti-spyware programs also.

Adaware and Spybot Search & Destory are among the best, they also happen to be free also.

Kent

(part time computer geek)

Thank you Kent and Brian. I do run Spybot.

I have McAfee trial version on this new laptop my wife purchased for me for Christmas 2008. The McAfee has a built-in anti-spyware feature.

But I was wondering what others have used, and if their experiences are the same as mine.

I have an old desktop computer that runs very slow, so I was planning on formatting the drive and reinstalling. It's a P4 2GHz with 768MB of RAM and was hoping to find a used PC to replace this dinosaur! But funds aren't flowing my way, so I will stick with it for now.

Stan

You could also look into dropping in a new RAM chip. Ram is pretty cheap for the most part.

Hi Kent,

Yes, I looked at increasing the RAM. Max on that Dell 4400 mobo is only 1GB. I will probably spend around $25 for the 512MB stick. I was in the process of looing for a used PC on craigslist, as one of my requirements for a new PC is it being able to do dual-head. I have an old ATI Radeon AGP video card in there (I do not do any gaming at all, just love the dual monitor feature). Shipping from Honolulu to Hilo would be my next biggest pain (not much ppl here selling used PCs).

Stan

I agree with AVAST.

AVG is good, but it's starting to become a resource hog with the latest version.

McAfee home versions (what you get in the store), ****...period. I use the Enterprise version at work (I'm the desktop AV admin at work), and it's pretty good, but you can't get it without buying several thousand licenses and signing a big contract.

It's a P4 2GHz with 768MB of RAM and was hoping to find a used PC to replace this dinosaur!

Wow if thats a dinosaur! :shock: !

I'm using a P3 450mhz right now & am plenty satisfied with it LOL then there's the

P1 90mhz i still use ..... that i admit is a dinosaur (or maybe pre dino?? LOL)

Sorry, I used to be so into computers and used to build my own; which I used to upgrade components every 4 years. My computer was built sometime in 2002, and have an urge to upgrade, but funds are tight, everyone knows how that goes..........

I was hoping to get a P4 3GHz with 2GB RAM, but I still can't find someone local that has a used computer for sale.

I plan on doing a fresh install, and hope to install the right AV software instead of this Norton I purchased a while ago. Then installing a total of 1GB of RAM. I'm hoping that will give me a performance boost.

Stan

Sorry, I used to be so into computers and used to build my own;

Thats the only way to do it right :) i've done the same thing in the past... now its

a matter of whatever i can get cheap/free LOL (and then use it til it dies LOL)

LOL no need to be sorry ... my reply was meant as sortof a joke LOL (since i'm using

really old stuff...but it does what i need)

----------------------

anyway back on the original subject (forgot to include this in my orig reply)..

For AV i use: AVG Free, and anti-spyware: Adaware... even with my outdated

equipment AVG doesn't slow it down too much (unless its doing a hard-drive

scan - then forget using the computer)

Edited by XmasLightGuy

Thank you everyone! :)

So many choices, don't know which one to use! I will format and reinstall the OS on my PC in a few weeks, after I make my determination of which AV software to use.

I also have to figure out if LOR S2 software is the way to go or not (am afraid of bugs). I do not like uninstalling software, as I still think there may be remnants of it running somewhere. I perhaps need to prepare myself with the XP System Restore. :confused:

I am still not 100% comfortable with XP (and I see Vista is not anything great). I love Win2k.

I have been in IS/IT since the late 70's and I can tell you there is no ultimate system/hardware/software. You pick the tools that work best for you. I have chosen Kaspersky for reasons of my own. I also use Registry First Aid Platinum and SpywareBlaster to help keep my system safe. I buy Toshiba notebooks because they work. I buy Intel CPUs because I trust them and I can depend on how they work. My desk top computers are all server based systems board and run Server 2003.

So, which is best? Well, some are better than others, but best is what makes you happy and works for you. Go with any of the top 10 on the above list and you will do okay. Just be careful and keep an eye on what you do and where you go.

Wow, since the late 70s????!!!!!

I don't go to weird websites. I think if a virus may come in, it may come in thru the email. I just need a good program that does not bog down my old computer. Unless I can purchase or obtain a better PC.

Stan

Sorry, I used to be so into computers and used to build my own; which I used to upgrade components every 4 years. My computer was built sometime in 2002, and have an urge to upgrade, but funds are tight, everyone knows how that goes..........

I was hoping to get a P4 3GHz with 2GB RAM, but I still can't find someone local that has a used computer for sale.

I plan on doing a fresh install, and hope to install the right AV software instead of this Norton I purchased a while ago. Then installing a total of 1GB of RAM. I'm hoping that will give me a performance boost.

Stan

Try Geeks.com. 3 Ghz, 1GB RAM plus XP Pro, HD & DVD for $140. They sell refurbs and de-branded computers. I just bought a Debranded HP 2.8Mhz Core 2 Duo with 1GB for $240. Be advised that you MUST know what you are doing for some of the products especially the 'puters sold without OS. Mine was designed for Vista but I wanted to put XP on it so it required a lot of searching for drivers and a few tweaks to the BIOS to make it work.

As for the OP question, I don't know if this is anti-virus or more like anti-spyware but I'll vouch for Malwarebyte's Antimalware. Twice in 6 months it has rescued me from nasty infections that literally took over my computer. The other anti-spyware apps couldn't help me but Antimalware was aces.