Best anti virus software program?

I agree with AVAST.

AVG is good, but it's starting to become a resource hog with the latest version.

McAfee home versions (what you get in the store), ****...period. I use the Enterprise version at work (I'm the desktop AV admin at work), and it's pretty good, but you can't get it without buying several thousand licenses and signing a big contract.

Agree 100%, I use AVG on one machine, Avast on other two. Have two buddies who do IT security for a living, and both agree with use Avast or AVG.

I was hoping to get a P4 3GHz with 2GB RAM, but I still can't find someone local that has a used computer for sale.

Stan

Check with LU Computers. http://www.lucomputers.com/ Been building custom build machines for years, and use them a lot. Great prices and great customer service. You get free tech support for like a year, and they know what there doing. Running a desktop overclocked close to 5gz with 4 gigs of SRR3 overclocked, and only has crashed less than a hand full of times since September. (mostly from me messing with bios)

Try Geeks.com. 3 Ghz, 1GB RAM plus XP Pro, HD & DVD for $140. They sell refurbs and de-branded computers. I just bought a Debranded HP 2.8Mhz Core 2 Duo with 1GB for $240. Be advised that you MUST know what you are doing for some of the products especially the 'puters sold without OS. Mine was designed for Vista but I wanted to put XP on it so it required a lot of searching for drivers and a few tweaks to the BIOS to make it work.

As for the OP question, I don't know if this is anti-virus or more like anti-spyware but I'll vouch for Malwarebyte's Antimalware. Twice in 6 months it has rescued me from nasty infections that literally took over my computer. The other anti-spyware apps couldn't help me but Antimalware was aces.

Shux, I wish I read this earlier. I had to contact a good friend in Honolulu to buy me a used computer for me through craigslist.

The HP Debranded computer looks awesome, although the difficulty in finding drivers seem a little intimidating. Why can't geeks.com find the drivers for you and sell the drivers with the computer? Maybe that's their agreement thru HP?

I guess when I am ready to upgrade my computer in 5-6 years, I will definately give geeks.com a look.

Stan

Check with LU Computers. http://www.lucomputers.com/ Been building custom build machines for years, and use them a lot. Great prices and great customer service. You get free tech support for like a year, and they know what there doing. Running a desktop overclocked close to 5gz with 4 gigs of SRR3 overclocked, and only has crashed less than a hand full of times since September. (mostly from me messing with bios)

Thats a good website as well. I don't have much money, so I was looking into the $200 range for a new PC that could do dual head as a minimum requirement. But I will keep that site bookmarked, in case I decide on upgrading.

Thanks,

Stan