Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Chris in Ct

Zip tie gun question

Some swear by taking an old pair of wire cutters and grinding down the edge flat and using them.

But I will say, I use my zip tie gun a ton, a metal Panduit GS2B. Mine has got to be 15 years old or more. It may not save a ton of time, but it sure helps with the squeezing and pulling that the above unit requires. With the 3 tensil settings, it does a fine job of any zip tie I have seen. I may not go through as many ties as some, but I still manage about 1K a year with everything I need them for.

The only ones I've ever seen in person didn't use zip ties that were large enough to actually bind wires/cords, etc. They were more used to attach curtains together (I do a lot of banquet stuff with my restaurant).

I dont know the model number or even the brand, but a couple years ago my dad did all the air conditioning in our house so he had to get one to do that and i have used it since then, and it is awsome i love it.

if you take wire cutters they work almost as good but they take more time.

-Will

Here is the one I use. I got it off Ebay. New, they are expensive ($150). I love mine, it has been a real time saver.

Manufacturer: Hellemann Tyton

Name: Hand Tool

Type: Mark 9

Adjustable clamping force: YES

Material cable ties: Plastic / Nylon

HellermannTyton cable ties: T50 to T150, as well as LK5

Width / Thickness of ties: 13.5 mm / 2.2 mm

Now I feel like a idiot. That is the same person and item I bought mine from back in Nov.

As I said before it works great. It cut my build time with my tomato cage mini trees in half. I used anywhere from 300 to 500 lights depending on the size. I also used it on my 10 ft PVC tree. It took about a week to get it from Germany.

Mike

Now I feel like a idiot. That is the same person and item I bought mine from back in Nov.

As I said before it works great. It cut my build time with my tomato cage mini trees in half. I used anywhere from 300 to 500 lights depending on the size. I also used it on my 10 ft PVC tree. It took about a week to get it from Germany.

Mike

Do these work with many sizes of zip ties? I tend to use 3-4" ones on the small end, and 6-8" ones on the larger end... Different widths too, since I usually just buy whatever is cheap.

-Tim

Do these work with many sizes of zip ties? I tend to use 3-4" ones on the small end, and 6-8" ones on the larger end... Different widths too, since I usually just buy whatever is cheap.

-Tim

Majority of them do work with many sizes of cable ties (usually cable ties are rated in weight rating of strength).

I have a Greenlee with a dial adjustment for tension. Works great and always cuts the cable ties flush (very important when working in the car, you don't want to end up cutting yourself up with cable ties under the dash).

Stan

The only problem that I have is that sometimes the cheap 4” ones are a bit thinner. The gun both doesn’t grip as well so the ties aren’t quite tight enough or it grips too well and breaks the tie. The width doesn't seem to be an issue.

Tim I could have brought mine to the mini so you give it a try. If we have another one this year, I’ll be sure to bring it with. It really is a finger saver.:D

I also have a Panduit G2SB that I use almost everyday. I use tiewraps for a lot of stuff since I am an electrician as well as I build computers for people. I am the guy that people call to install TV and phone lines as well, so the gun gets a good workout. :)

I used it to bundle together my extension cords running up the house for my lights last year as well as to fasten my lights to my star and in the building of my arches.

Wouldn't be without one.

Bill

I use one also and it works great. Tightens the zip tie and cuts the end all in one quick squeeze. I got mine two years ago for $10 at Wal Mart. It was located in the automotive department. I later bought a back up when it was on sale for $7. It is still in the package because the original is still working...and I have gone through 3 bags of 1000 ties with no problems. So yes, highly recommend one if you have many zip ties to do.

The G2SB is an excellent zip gun. And I will just parrot everyone else and say that it is a time saver, finger saver and when adjusted right it can do a great job snugging down tight or just a good firm tightness. Yes some of the real little ones are best done by hand and side cutters. Such as the little 3" tie wraps. But for most 4" and bigger this gun is great. Shoot it tightens and cuts all in one or tow pulls of the trigger. Try to do that by hand and then grab the side cutters. Take much longer that way.

Max

Guest tandemlaura

I bought mine at Harbor Freight works goodclear.gif

Automatically fastens and cuts ties in one motion.

• Adjustable bundling pressure
  • Handles cables from 2.4mm/3/32" to 4.76mm/3/16" wide and up to 1.6mm/1/16" thick
  • Self-locking
  • Durable construction

Overall dimensions: 6-1/2" L x 5-1/4" H x 7/8" thick

Weight: 0.46 lbs.

ITEM 98854-1VGA

$7.99

I was looking at that zip tie gun at Harbour Frieght as well.... Dang, I should've bought it when it was on sale last week...

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to purchase one. I don't think I can afford $150 for one maybe more like $50.

Last year I made a half dozen garland wrapped mini trees and my fingers were raw by the time I was done.

I want to make another dozen this year,so something that will save the fingers would be nice.

I bought mine at Harbor Freight works goodclear.gif

Automatically fastens and cuts ties in one motion.

• Adjustable bundling pressure
  • Handles cables from 2.4mm/3/32" to 4.76mm/3/16" wide and up to 1.6mm/1/16" thick
  • Self-locking
  • Durable construction

Overall dimensions: 6-1/2" L x 5-1/4" H x 7/8" thick

Weight: 0.46 lbs.

ITEM 98854-1VGA

$7.99

Does it work on the cheapo 4" walmart zip ties?

I'm going to bid on the one in the EBAY link I posted,but if it goes over my budget ($50)

I may try the one your suggesting. For $8.00 it's worth a try. Thanks

Edited by Chris in Ct

Does it work on the cheapo 4" walmart zip ties?

I'm going to bid on the one in the EBAY link I posted,but if it goes over my budget ($50)

I may try the one your suggesting. For $8.00 it's worth a try. Thanks

Chris, I did the same thing two years ago. I tried to bid on one on eBay and got outbid. I then went and got the one from Wal Mart for $10 and could not be happier. I have mostly used the 4" ties from HD but have also used 10" ones with it and have not had any problems. It is made of metal and has a good weight and feel to it. I am sure the more expensive ones are great also. I just wanted to share my experience whith the inexpenive one. Good luck.

Chris, I did the same thing two years ago. I tried to bid on one on eBay and got outbid. I then went and got the one from Wal Mart for $10 and could not be happier. I have mostly used the 4" ties from HD but have also used 10" ones with it and have not had any problems. It is made of metal and has a good weight and feel to it. I am sure the more expensive ones are great also. I just wanted to share my experience whith the inexpenive one. Good luck.

That's good to hear. I, too, looked at the eBay one, was tempted, then saw the $20 shipping! Yeah, like you couldn't fit that in the $4 flat rate box...

-Tim

. I am sure the more expensive ones are great also. I just wanted to share my experience whith the inexpenive one. Good luck.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm going to take your word & expierence and go out tommorow and buy the less exspensive like you have.

I like saving money. Well!! not really, I like saving money so I can buy other stuff with the savings.

I use one also and it works great. Tightens the zip tie and cuts the end all in one quick squeeze. I got mine two years ago for $10 at Wal Mart. It was located in the automotive department. I later bought a back up when it was on sale for $7. It is still in the package because the original is still working...and I have gone through 3 bags of 1000 ties with no problems. So yes, highly recommend one if you have many zip ties to do.

Can you tell me the brand name,so I can make sure I get the same one you have in case they have different brands.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I am not at home and won't be for a few days. It was located in the auto department. It is red and it is the only one they carry. Sorry, I could not provide more detailed info.:(

I've used a number of the Uline ones, and a couple of the walmart ones.. Last I saw, the Walmarts here had closed them out.. But, I have messed one of them up by stepping on it.. I never did get it bent back to being as smooth as it was. The Uline ones don't seem to notice being stepped on at all. Though in the hands of volunteers, and handling many thousands of ties, they may not be quite as sharp as they once were...

I think out of about 8 different Uline guns, we have found one that would not set the tension low enough to not break the 4 inch Northern Tool ties...