Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
snoop

Easter Display

I am thinking of doing a Easter Display, but what do you think? I haven't really decided yet but I do have some time. Do many people do Easter displays? I asked my wife and she doesn't care either way (she is just waiting to start working on more christmas things for this year)

I am thinking of building a cross, and then my mind goes blank. So, any input will be helpful. I must have a religious connotation in the display, I am trying to be a good christian, and its the reason for the day.

There are dozens of Winfield cutouts you can do if you are up to the cutting and painting. Or if you weld you can make wireframes using the patterns. You can also get wireframes from several of the wireframe retailers that include lights or get them bare and save money by adding the lights yourself. Simplest thing is an egg of any size and paint it or drill holes for lights to stick through. The cross is one of the best ideas. Made it from 4X4 s and using the plastic plumbing straps to hold rope lights on it. Kathy and I are gearing up to decorate our grandson's school again this year. We had a 6 ft high rabbit hold an egg out in front of the school and dozens of smaller rabbits, eggs and other signs scattered around the school. Kathy also took a white twig tree and added Easter garland and Easter eggs on it and decorated one area with it. We used a smaller Easter bunny blowmold for a tree-topper. I have been debating making an Easter house to add to the school this year. In the thought stage at this time.

Thanks guys you all have given me some great ideas!:) Ryan you just go all out!! wow! I like the bunny that looks like Buggs.

snoop

I'm with you.....My Easter display will be all Christian.....I have a 15' Jesus inflatable with His arms open wide. I also got a 8' inflatable cross. Now this is my 4th of July display but I'm going to use the inflatable screen to project some painting of Jesus rising out of the tomb.....I think it will look real good.....

We haven't really done a Easter Display, but did find a Pink mini light Bunny head in our front window. It is cute. Only 6.99 at Walgreens.

I'm not a Christian, sorry. My easter display this year (the first year) consists of two strings of C9s. I use white, red, hot pink, purple, and flourecent yellow. Its simple, cute, my daughter whose birthday is next week loves it and a family modo- next year it will be bigger. I like the pastels although I had to special order them., A few will go up next Christmas for acent. Alos, I got some awesome C9 clips at home depot just after christmas. This is the first time I have tried them out and they are great. Thye keep the lights straight, safe and even.

adam