Forums, Forums Everywhere!

Guest Jeff_Womack

Guest Jeff_Womack

I wish one of the forum software companies would make an ap where suers could "subscribe" to forums that they wanted to via the control panel. There are only about 10 forums I actually read anymore!

I wish one of the forum software companies would make an ap where suers could "subscribe" to forums that they wanted to via the control panel. There are only about 10 forums I actually read anymore!

Or just a setting box that would allow you check a box next to a list of the forums. Then just the forums you checked would show up.

I kinda wish either we could cut back on the number of forums, or someone would put their foot down about making sure topics are actually posted where they belong. Right now, a very generic Light-O-Rama question could end up in any number of forums.

5 off the top of my head....

Vendors of PlanetChristmas -> VENDOR - Light-O-Rama Odds and Ends

Newbies

Dasher's Diner -> How In The World Do You...

Computerized Displays

Computerized Displays -> Synchronizing Light Shows

More?

It's getting REALLY tedious to keep on top of things.

I subscribe to email notices for daily updates in "VENDOR - Light-O-Rama Odds and Ends" and Dasher's "Heads Up" to make sure I don't miss any LOR sales, but if I subscribed to all the forums that covered my actual interests my inbox would be a mad house (more than the 300/day on average I already get).

Seriously..... There's such a thing as being TOO specific, especially if you don't actually enforce staying on topic.

A thumbs up to Chuck S for innovation. Sure, we could have left it the way it was and never known otherwise. But now there is a forum where the "pros" can get together and chew the fat.

If it remains visible to the public, it would be an interesting read. If it becomes a private forum that we can only read and not post, it would still be fun to see what is put there.

I like Womakc's idea of being able to filter out certain forums in the control panel so that your searches and the "new posts" wouldn't include them on a regular basis.

personally, I like the idea of the "doing business" area, but I think it should have been left with 3 sub such as: Getting Started, Business Issues, Customer Service.

What I really don't get is why there's an off season sub in this area, isn't that what the rest of PC is for?

I remember a few years ago that Chuck would DELETE forums he felt were not being used (even if they were relevent). We (the users) had to BEG for new forums to be opened. Now he's gone the other way :cool:

Now with nearly 150 forums (plus the ones in the penthouse), I think we have lost the 'community feeling' this place once had.

And what the heck does Light O Rama and light shows have to do with the buy, sell, trade forum.

My bad!

Apparently there is a separate forum for each vendor product to buy, sell, trade.

I don't understand why anything that you want to buy, sell or trade can't go into the same forum that was always there.

I guess we need a forum just to sell NOTHING.

Very strange!

Roman

Edited by Roman A. Gurule Jr.
I don't understand!

After ten+ years of running the PlanetChristmas forums the only thing I'm sure of is there's no one way of pleasing everyone.

Tried the minimalist approach. We'd still end up with "how do I build a train" in the "For Sale" section. :mad:

Tried the "here are the forums slections... they're not going to change so live with it" approach. That didn't work at all. :(

Finally came to the conclusion the forums are simply a work-in-progress. If a new forum doesn't work, lesson learned, move on to something else. :D

I can't tell you how many times people have made a forum category suggestion, I'd implement it immediately and it would be a big hit. Keep those suggestions heading my way.

Bottom line: change is good :)

One reason I don't even keep up with the forums anymore. Just way too many to go through. I personally liked it better a year or two ago.

It got too busy to to follow all the forums here at PC.

Same here, I just click on new posts and when I get tired of reading, I quit... IMHO we have WAY TOO MANY individual forums.....