Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
bigj3fan4life

Inexpensive solid state relays?

Bosch and others makes 12v relays. The Bosch 30 amp relay #'s are 0332209150 and 0332209151. One comes with a mounting tab and the other does not. Both are common in the automotive industry and are available at stereo shops and part stores.

If you want to build them yourself, go to the DoItYourselfChristmas.com forum and look in the Wiki for the SSROz. wJohn in Melbourne always has the circuit boards on hand. There are often group buys for parts to keep the cost down. I have about 60 of the things and they're perfect for this hobby. If you want more than 4 channels on one, the SSR section has info about an upcoming 12 channel version that even has a case. They are 'sink' trigger design.

Jeff

Does anyone know where (besides ebay) I can find some inexpensive or even used solid state relays?

Thanks,

Jeremy

What specs/quantities are you looking for? What would you consider cheap?

I have 80-odd SSRs, complete with "relay rack" boards to mount them 16 at a time that I'd be willing to part with for a reasonable amount. These are not high current relays though, so if that's what you're looking for, these wouldn't be of any help.

Sorry about the lack of info in my original post. I'm a car guy trying to convert to a animated display guy. I have seen used SSR's (somewhere, but I cannot find it now) for under $10 each.

Here is a pic of the SSR's I am wanting.

Thanks everyone,

Jeremy

post-5586-129571112363_thumb.jpg

Are you sure that's what you want? Those are AC -> AC SSR's. Most SSR's used in displays are 5-12VDC -> 120VAC relays...

-Tim

Tim,

Jeremy is using AC input SSR's for a LASOC mod. for more amperage.

Gotcha.

Good info to know!

-Tim

do you still have the SSR and how many and give real price

Who was this comment directed to?

In case it was directed at me...

I have eighty-six (86) of these:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=GH3037-ND

and eleven (11) of these:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=GH7444-ND

Each of the latter mounts 16 of the former and connects them to an "Opto-22" (or "PB24") compatible parallel port board. I also have one of these:

http://www.measurementcomputing.com/pci-data-acquisition/PCI-DUAL-AC5.aspx

Which will drive two of the relay boards with an off the shelf cable (which I also have - C100FF-2, same vendor as above), or three of the boards with a custom made cable.

All of the above are brand new, never used. I'll sell any or all of the above for a reasonable price. If interested, look at the links listed above and decide what you think a reasonable price is and make me an offer. This stuff was all purchased brand new at list price.