Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
BMcGeeny

Everybody Hibernating?

It seems nothing has been going on in Minnesota. Everybody up at the eelpout contest?

Tim, got your lights down.

Gary any new inventions.

Ernie, how is the Ren-24 project going?

SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHING

I'm working with as much stuff as I have been able to bring with me from Michigan.. Its far to cold to venture outside and be productive that way..

Lots of busy work type stuff..

2 Channel Extension cords...

Working with leaping lights...

Purchased my SSR's to make the NewburyChristmas style DYC LOR boards...

That kind of stuff..

When can it be nice again??!?!??!

BMcGeeny,

I still have not finished putting everything away yet from 2008 season.:o

I went from a few static Christmas decorations in 2007 to 120 channels of LOR done to 10 songs this year.

Tried for 128 channels but with family health problems and business traveling I only managed to get up 120 channels with 14,000 LED lights up.

1 Mega tree w/3D 5 pointed Star on top, 8 mini trees, 4 snow flakes, 2 large wreaths, 2 large window frames, 90 ft of eve lights, 4 arches, all done in 4 colors also a few static items.

I am rebuilding my 4 ft wreaths to 5 ft - 4 colors and the 5 ft x 6 ft window frames also with 4 colors.

For next year I have already started ordering wire, plugs, colored strobes, LED lights, & cords.

Will order more from LOR stuff this weekend I hope when the sales goes on?

I plan on doing a Marty Fan and Fire Stick or Bellagio Fountain/Seymour Lights did but with a new twist by adding Lighted Fireworks lights behind and above the 24 ft long wall with arches over the top.

I have to go back to work to pay for this addiction!!!:D

Garry

PS: I have thought about a doing a mini but I live out in rural Minnesota 10 miles from any towns and about 2

I've done very little with the lights since January. There's still a few displays partially frozen into the ground -- fortunately they're far back from the road and not very noticeable. My mom had hip surgery and was in the hospital twice and that was all going on when it was getting a bit warmer and the snow melted, so I didn't get my icicle lights down, unfortunately, and now we have 6" of new snow. Oh well, William loves playing in it, and we shoveled off the pond and went ice skating yesterday...

Glad to see some Minnesotans are alive.

Gary has been busy

Ernie sorry to hear you took a fall. I have come so close several times this year.

I got all my frozen cords and display items pulled loose and piled in the yard during that two days we had the warm/rain/warm that took all the snow. I just took everything loose one day after work in about 1 hour. Then it got cold again but since it was all loose I just had to take it in the shed and warm it before wrapping up cords.

Tim

All I have left is two strings in the trees I forgot about and a bunch of posts that will not come out until the ground thaws about 6 inches.

Hi All,

This is prime time for electronic dart tournaments, and I've been busy with that and my

fantasy nascar league that I run. As matter of fact, my Mixed Doubles team just won the

Division II State Dart Championships in Minneapolis last month...12 3/4 hours of shooting to

virtualy outlast the competition. Never finished better than 3rd in state so, I'm quite happy.

During our last thaw we got everything out, down, and in the garage except the manger and the 7-8 extension cords still frozen in till April. The C7s are still on the roof, but I'm in need of more storage as we bought 42 molds from a display sale in Oakdale on December 27...Half of my garage floor is still full of some great finds that will have to wait, till it is warm enough to build more storage.

We are building a new backlit manger that I hope will be innovative and eye catching...The

old one has served our display well, but has seen its better days.

Lee

Pittsburgh is still going strong!!! I've disassembled everything 2 weeks ago. Still have a few things to organize, but it will be done soon. I'm so glad its down and my house dose not look like Christmasvill :D

As far as 2009, I've been able to get a lot of sequencing done. I've added like 6 songs to the list and have plans for even more. I've also joined the Army National Guard Reserves and will be shipping to Basic Training in August (in hopes of gaining my masters degree in business). I'll be finished with training just in time to run the show for Christmas. As of the LOR sale, I'll have 128 channels with plans of 2 more controllers.

I have lots of work to do for 2009 before going to Basic Training. 6 arches (5 channels) and 4 fire sticks (5 channels). Bethlehem star (3 channels). Also, I'm building custom window frames for each window on the front of the house. I'll wrap and store the lights on the frame and not have to "take down the lights" next year. They will be self contained and stored neatly in the attic.

Just waiting for the new LED lights to come in to make sure they will fit the wire frames I have planned to make. I am rebuilding all 16 mini trees to be able to hold 4 colors of LED

I feel the same way about the time available for sequencing. I will probably get my new lighting projects done, but the sequencing is what I'm worried about.

Just finished pole, frame, and guy wires for my "monkhouse jump" mega-tree (now standing in my yard w/o lights), but waiting on a price for the 3-D Northstar from Christmaslightshow.

Also, yesterday I just finished soldering and assembling the last of my 7 LOR controllers bought at the summer sale (I think next time I'll buy the boards pre-soldered).

After I get the lawn mowed today, I'll start working on a means of putting my leaping arches on the garage roof.

I don't care if people think I'm crazy by starting to put my lights out. I remember running out of time last year because all of my projects took longer than I estimated (which has proved to be the case again this year). It is also more pleasant working outside in 70 degrees than 10.

Any of you other Minnesotans started yet?

Ernie - I'd be interested in how you are going to hook up that load center into/off your ac unit..... I have thought about the same thing - since we don't use the a/c unit in the winter. Down the road from ya in Lakeville. :)

I'm adding an "inner" mega tree of 120 strings of minis inside my "outer" Tree of Lights - 16 strings of C-9s - plus tackling programming an animation for the first time --- feeling overwhelmed and the leaves are starting to turn....

I know what you mean about being overwhelmed! I have never done a mega-tree before on that scale either. I just finished putting up my 125 strings of lights, and learned a lot through the process.

Hang in there. It will be worth it when you are done! It looks very impressive when finished, even in the daytime.

Let me know if you have any questions you think I could help you with.

One tip would be to test your lights before erecting them to the top. I had about 3 strings of the 125 that needed repair (even though they were new), and one of my zip-ties wasn't secured properly causing 3 strings of lights to fall down after I had my tree jacked up 23 feet (all part of the learning curve I guess).

Even the slightest wind wants to grab your tree and lights also. I just kept moving my ground anchors toward the tree as I jacked it up so that the wind wouldn't blow it over. Looking back, I should have attached a chain to the ground stakes so that I could just unclip the guy wire and reattach it to a chain link closer to the tree as I jacked it up.

I don't really know others from MN but I'm thinking everyone is swamped with the end of summer - taking advantage and putting away, "Pre Halloween Blizzard" chores, and a growing concern that Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I know that these thoughts are on my mind.

Yes, clean up chores come first. Garden beds need to be cleaned up,roses need to be readied for winter,boiler needs cleaning,wood shed to be filled. One mega tree done so far,two more to go. Got to get a few sheets of black coro this week.So things are moving along,but maybe not as fast as I'd like. Keep up the progress guys.

Your friend Jerry

Looks like this needs a bump.

It's the end of September. We need at least a short get together. A bite and some chat at minimum.

I'd be willing but being 2 hours south of the cities puts a damper on it. Anybody. I bet you can find a couple of us to help out. I did think of the building my company offices in but I don't know if the conference rooms can be used for non work related gigs.

Another member here has their business in the same building and might have luck with it. Our company used the room on the main level for a meeting a couple months back. Has great electronics with a built in projector, light blocking shades etc. Would hold 20-30 people and gear. I would think a Friday night or a Saturday it would be available.

Or maybe a picnic and hope for good weather. I think last year we had soemthing about the middle of October.

Time is running short.