Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
rob352

How many Ch's did you start with

How many CH's did you start with  

188 members have voted

1. 1. How many CH's did you start with

I have another 64 channel controller ready to go, so hopefully I can get some ideas built this summer. Though I know how much time it takes to do things now, I somehow end up procrastinating and running out of time in the end. Maybe I

I started with 320 working channels, and another 48 non working.

I have acutally switched a little from all blinky blinky on off channels to 10 24 ch dimming controllers and 2 64 ch dimming controllers and 2 96 ch blinky blinky controllers.

16 ch my first year

stayed at 16 my 2nd year

stayed at 16 my 3rd year

I must be the only one to stay at 16 ch for three years! :121_reindeer:

I could be on Ripley's Believe It or Not!

This year who knows. I may or may not add 16 ch.

I am starting with 48 channels for my first year.

Wrap those two front trees higher like in the animation - your sequences will look better.

Last year (2008) was my first year and I started with 64.

I was going to add another 64 this year, but $$$ is tight right now.

128 will give me exactly what I need for the design I've planned... I guess I'll work up to it between this year & next (unless I win the lotto :D)

I started last year with 160. Hope to add more this year but I think I will wait until next year. It can get crazy and then all of a sudden it falls into place.

I started with 138 last year. I had designed it to be 128 channels, and bought a back-up controller....that quickly got used for another 10.

I plan to buy 2 more during tomorrow's secret sale at Light-O-Rama.

I started with 16 last year, then 2 days before Christmas, I upgraded to 48. Just a few hours ago, I upgraded to 208 channels, with an additional 16 on a backup LOR box.

Edited by Duaneinva

I have a large LED pre-order ready for Travis for the lights I'm going to need, as well as getting a roll of SPT1 next month along with a large number of vampire taps for the many lengths of cords I'll be using (mainly short ones).

I started with 80 for 2008, just bought 32 more today and plan to buy at least 80 more this summer so that will be 192 for 2009. I have about 70,000 new lights to add to my display for next year so I will need the channels, I plan to build some big channel hog elements.

Jerry

Last year was my first year and I started with 192. I have one more controller that I havn't put together yet (bought it for a backup). I was planning on adding at least five more controllers but that might have to wait until June.

This is our first year, we just got 32 channels via the secrete sale and will get 32 more before Nov. We have the music and LORII, now it's planning what elements and make/buy what we need for the show.

First year I started with 96

Second year jumped to 192 (with 176 in reserve and 32 out on loan)

And just added 80 yesterday.

So a possibility of 480 channels.

But I buy alot of used controllers off PC. Half to be exact and they all seem to have little quirks. It's nice to be able to grab another and switch it out in the middle of a show. I would recommend at least one extra box. Even my new starter pack the first year had network plugs with issues.

Good luck.

The first time I saw synchronized lights in action was in 2006 at Oldcqr's place. I had seen them on the internet,but never in person.

I was cautioned to start out small, but went with 128 channels. Although I got it done it was 5:45 on opening night when I wired the last channel in.

It really depends on how much time you have to dedicated not only to sequencing, but setting up and running all the cords. My Mega trees alone take 1.5 days each. The roof takes 2-3 days. It takes me 5 weeks to set up because the only time I have is on the weekends. I might get an hour or so during the week, but it gets dark at 6 so not much gets done then.

If I had to do it over again, I probably would go with 32 to 48 channels the first time out. Then you can pace yourself and determine how many extra each year.

I am at 192 channels for 2008 and am only adding 16 for 2009. (Arches)

If you go all out with 128 like me, it can be done but plan on alot of time sequencing. Get your cords made ahead of time. That in itself will really slow you down if you wait to make them during set up time. Also, finding SPT2 wire late in the season can be hard.

Started with 16 channels in 2008

I just bought another 3 controls in the secret sale, and plan to buy another one in June so I am going to have 80 channels for 2009

I am a newbie to Light-O-Rama although after 2 years of learning how they work i will be starting with about 400 channels for 2009. I have already started sequencing and assembling controllers lol.

I started with 128 in 2007 and went to 320 for 2008. I don't think I'm getting much bigger due to the time and Power, but I LOVE IT. I maxed out my power on a standard home because I'm not near all LED and with over 70k lights that's alot of power. I say go big if you can and put your all into it. You'll be so proud and the rewards are big. But make sure you have help. Family and friends are invaluble with big displays.

I'm a newbie for 2009 just getting started with 16 channels and hoping to do a mega tree of some sorts. If things go well I plan to double channels and phase in new lights each year till I've got all I can handle, nothing really major tho.

Started this January with 32 channels but decided very quickly that it wasn't enough for a decent show, so added another 16 for a total of 48 channels. Probably add at least 16 more next year. The bad part is, I already had several songs sequenced for 32 and now I will have to re-do them. Oh well, it was great practice.

Started with 32 in 2008, but I cheated - I followed the forum post talking about doubling your channels. I wanted a huge display, but I was limited at 32 channels, so here's the shortcuts I took:

I used the double your channels trick - when power was off to the relay, my arches were gold. When energized, the arches went Red.

I had 3 arches, but I tied them all together - 9 channels for 3 arches. They looked great, but I used SO MUCH extension cord I probably could have bought 1 more controller with the $$ in copper.

I had 14 mini trees in my front yard consuming 8 channels - 7 channels drove pairs of trees in clear while 1 last channel turned all the minis on in green.

The other channels were eaten with windows (14 windows, used 10 channels as 4 windows were on the side of the house - tied them in with the closest windows on the same level on the front of the house) bushes out front, 2 channels of floods, and roof.

With some creativity you can really maximize what you've got.

I can't vote as my first year was an 8 channels controllers back in 03 or 04 and been growing scent, I have somewhere over 250+ channels.

CTB-08, CTB-16D, CTB-16PC, CMB-16D, DC-MP3,iDMX1000 and MC-PX-16 also forgot the RF-V4. :eek: