Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
rob352

How many Ch's did you start with

How many CH's did you start with  

188 members have voted

1. 1. How many CH's did you start with

The poll is flawed...some of us started with fewer than 16 channels but there is no option for it.

I began with 2 channels: I put together a timer and relay system so my house would be multicolored for several seconds, then all white. After that I learned about computer control. I built an 8 channel controller and knew right away it wouldn't be enough. The next year I had 16 channels and then switched over to LOR. I'm up to 64 now and hope to double that for the 2009 season.

Bought 2 16 channel AL controllers late in 2007 running stock shows. The first time my son and I ran our first test we officially went nuts about the light effects. Had 112 channels in 2008 and will have at least 192 channels in 2009 (already short). This is the most addictive thing I've ever been involved in.

Used a 16 channel unit the first year, not LOR. The bug hit bad now up to 224 over 250,000 lights, two mega trees, 24 mini trees, 8 arches, everything is 4 color and the wife has filed for devorce (just kidding). She is enjoying it as much as me.

Based on the poll, the old crawl - walk - run adage might as well be taken out with the trash....

I started with 16 my first year and, yes, I did wish I had more channels, but I knew I didn't have as much time to do everything I needed. I had to build the mini trees, I had to learn the software, plan out the display etc etc etc and oh yea, I was a full time college student too!

So, what I am saying is it depends how much time you have to sequence. Remember, the more channels you have, the longer it will take to sequence, especially when you are first beginning.

Also, you have to figure out how much you want to spend. Remember, you not only need the controller, but the software and the plug so that the computer can communicate with the controller, unless you buy the mp3 controller, which of course is more money.

I guess my philosophy was this. Star small 16 or 32, make a display that you are proud of with it and take your time. There is nothing worse then feeling rushed because you have so little time and so many channels to sequence. It's not like you can't add more next year. That is what I have done every year. 16, added 32 more and this year adding 32 more. I am a firm believer of the start small and then grow til you are as big as you want because nothing is worse then being frustrated and USUALLY if you have less channels, you won't be as frustrated. Yes you might not be able to do everything you want, but at least you have something you can be proud of for your first year

Rob

Guest Lightzilla

I started out with 48 channels of Animated Lighting controllers last Christmas......sold those and now I am running 160 channels of LOR for the 1st time this season.

I know that I bit off more than I should have........thank God I found some sequences that were similar to my display setup........ except I still need to do a couple of my own. My display hasn't changed much from last season so that helps.

My thought is this...... start out with 48 channels minimum.......then you can do something.

Don't forget the unintended consequence of starting with LESS:

You are forced to think more creatively. Throwing channels at a problem is sometimes not the best way to SOLVE that problem ;)

------------------

Someone posted about another controller vs extension cords. This turned very true for me in the DIY world this year. It is cheaper for me to put an 8 channel controller on the workshop, rather than run the 600' feet (150 * 4 colors) of extension cords needed from the front of the house.

8 Channel controller complete: $50

4 100' extension cords = $48

+

4 50' extension cords = $32 --> total $80

First year I started with 64 channels and went to 128 channels last year. Looks like we might add another 64 channels for 2010.

16/16/16/32 CH of LOR.

The extra controller really added to the display. Next year, who knows if I'll add another controller or not. I like growing slowly...

Started with 80 in 2008, have 208 running this year with a couple of spare controllers sitting around so I could have had 256 this year.

Next year I hope to get up towards 350 or more channels.

Go Big or go home !!!

Oh wait, I am home.:121_reindeer:

Otay then - GO BIG !!

Started out with 64 but converted 3 of the boards to DIY-LOR so now I have 106 channels. I purchased my sequences from a member of PC due to time considerations. I have been very happy with the result btu am planning many changes next year.

I started in 2006 with 48 channels then 2nd week of december added another 16 for a total of 64 in the first year... ran 64 for 2007 also.. no display in 2008 and ran 176 channels this year... still working on display layout for 010 display but likely will have 256 channels available (not sure if i use them all or not)

-Christopher

What is this secret sale of which you are speaking?

Well, it happens in February right around inventory/tax time. It is a liquidation of stock from LOR and has a way of saving like 10-12% on the price of the items. Good savings. Look for it in mid February.

Man, I started out with 8, then 24, then 40. Hopefully more next year!

But, I started out in 7th/8th grade with virtually no income...so, that was all I could afford!

First year 128, all 8 controllers were ACx16. We added 10 more ctrl's in the 2nd year for 288 total with a DCx16 on the design bench that never made it in. We stuck with that for year 3 (this year) as we added a huge 14'x8' video screen this year. Now for 2010 we decided to use the DCx16, add 2 new controllers, a iDMX for 2 sets of lasers on moving heads and a Servo Dog controller for an animated frosty. Its all about how bad you want it. I have a saying that I go by for everything, its from Mighty Ducks, "Its not worth winning unless you win big" To me it means to go all out, like Clark Griswald said to his son "Russ, when have I ever done anything in moderation?"

Couldn't vote in the poll...it doesn't go do down low enough LOL

I started with 8 channels back in 2001, then went to 24 in 2003

With my current hardware/software thats the limit.