Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Ponddude

LED Chaser build...HELP!

I have posted this on several different forums including all the DIY forums, but no ones seems to have much interest in helping me. I even posted this on a few electronics forums...still to no avail. I am hoping the DIY community here can help me...

I am trying to create or purchase an LED chaser circuit that chases 10 LEDs. I want have two of the LEDs on at once and have them chase in one direction. I would also like to control the speed of the chase.

I should also tell you that each of the 10 "channels" will have 3 white LEDs and I want to run it on 12v.

Like I said, I could built my own, but does anyone know of a place where I could purchase a pre made PCB? If not, I have no problem making my own.

Like I said, I could built my own, but does anyone know of a place where I could purchase a pre made PCB? If not, I have no problem making my own.

Greg,

I you build your own, please PM me as I would like to know how. I want to make a smaller version (3-4 channel) for roof chasers.

Thanks,

Dan

By "two LED's at once" do you mean that you'd want the following sequence:

12, 23, 34, 45, etc (where the number means the LED is on)?

I've never seen a pre-made kit like that but it would be pretty trivial to build with a microcontroller circuit. You'd just have to have a micro with 10 outputs that you could sink the power of 10 LED's with, and a trivial bit of code...

That said, I can't do it for you, since I'm not set up to do Micro work anymore. I used to dabble with Atmel micros but not anymore... But I'm sure there's someone else here who could help you out -- from what little I understand of Micro circuits this should be trivial.

-Tim

but it would be pretty trivial to build with a microcontroller circuit. You'd just have to have a micro with 10 outputs that you could sink the power of 10 LED's with, and a trivial bit of code...

Trivial for you maybe, and possibly Toymaker also, but it sounds difficult and expensive to me. I would be curious as to how one is built if anyone attempts it.

That said, I can't do it for you, since I'm not set up to do Micro work anymore.

I could lend you my wife's "Red Hammer"...

Trivial for you maybe, and possibly Toymaker also, but it sounds difficult and expensive to me. I would be curious as to how one is built if anyone attempts it.

Yeah, by "trivial" I meant "trivial for anyone who knows how to deal with micro-based circuits".

As for 'expensive', depends on what you call expensive... Micro's are dirt cheap these days, and there would be minimal additional components needed just to drive LED's... My WAG estimate would be $30, probably less (component cost only -- no idea what someone would charge to do this for you. Knowing the PC community, someone might do it gratis...)

-Tim

This where I got all my info/help for making the led taillights and controllers for my car. I ended up using one controller for the tail/turn/break that has 8-10 selectable patterns and I also used an 8 channel controller to do chase patterns in each taillight.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Click on the LED section

Also check out www.able2products.com They are the makers of my show-me controller. I don't remember who made the other. maybe them. I have a crude diagram of the box that I wired to integrate everything. One controller is positive ground, the other negative. Everything is 12v, so you will need a wall wart/batterie to power them. I made a pulse width modulator to vary the intensity of the leds, also.

Anyway, good luck. I am no expert, but I will try to answer any other questions you have

One way to do it without micros is to modify the venerable 555/4017 chase circuit which you can find everywhere on the web. Instead of driving each LED from one output of the 4017, you drive it from two adjacent outputs, using diodes (e.g. 1N4148) between each LED and the two outputs that it's connected to.

Last year i started constructing/building a 12 channel chasing LED controller.

I want to use it to strobe 12 small boxes with 4 pcs. 0.5w 10mm LED's each.

I use the construction here http://picprojects.org.uk/projects/ledchaser/ to start with and have added a powertransistor to each output because of the high power used by the LED's

I bought 50 LED's here http://cgi.ebay.com/50p-10mm-HP-0-5W-MULTI-Chip-White-LED-280Kmcd-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ350172775199QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item350172775199&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Guess it would be simple to modify the code for the pic for your needs.

/Kim