Do you have the lights & sounds of x-mas box & want to go computer animated?

Guest CRAZY LIGHT KID

• 5 months later...

Yes several people have done this most are on the DIY christmas forum. I was going to go that route but I decided to go DIY and build Renard 24 controller boards. LOR is not the only way to go. They do make a great product, but it was out of my budget. I did a lot of research and then made my decision. Also you should look at the new Mr. Christmas with the 4 separate boxes. If that is the way you want to go.

What's old is new again :)

Back in the late 90's when the PC forums were just getting going, the "parallel port" control scheme was one of the more common methods. That was back when 32 channels was considered a lot, and 8 wasn't bad ;) I remember Mark Obermiller had 130 channels or something like that and it seemed like an impossible thing... Now I have more than that myself and am one of the smaller displays here ;)

-Tim

• 1 month later...
Guest csx5861

Question, does this modification give you the ability to use your own music (MP3 files) or are you still stuck with the "canned" 40 songs in the unit? The modification looks promising, but I have the GE Mr. Christmas 4 Module Wireless system and don't know if the connections internally would be the same as in that video.

Anyone modified the GE 4 Wireless Module system and, if so, how well does or did it work? And can you use your own music? I'd rather not make the paralel modification, but would like to modify the unit to accept an external MP3 player or computer audio cable (audio out from computer to audio in on the Mr. Christmas light show control box). Is this even possible? And if so, do the lights still stay synchronized to the music being fed into the unit?

Question, does this modification give you the ability to use your own music (MP3 files) or are you still stuck with the "canned" 40 songs in the unit?

I was wondering this also.

Does this just change the light sequence, or can you add your own music and light sequence? I think it would be worth the mod if you can add music, but if you can only change the light sequence, I will wait till next year to get a better kit that is customizable.

Thanks

It makes sense and should work, but I am not sure how well it would work. Plus I think the sound and lights of xmas can only handel 13 amps.

This mod should work just to control the lights, or you think it should work to add your own music and control the lights?

13 Amps is no longer a problem, mine can handle whatever I throw at it now, I just need to give it some real music, and if this mod will do that, it should keep me some what happy for a little while.:giggle:

I guesss I could always do the mod and find out for myself, and if I can not add my own music, oh well, consider it electronics practice

Edited by romeo

the mod is to control the lights you can then use your computer that is running vixen for the sound. you program your light sequences to match the music you are using in vixen. there are also some sequences that you can download for free check-out the diychristmas site.:121_reindeer:

Guest csx5861

It makes sense and should work, but I am not sure how well it would work. Plus I think the sound and lights of xmas can only handel 13 amps.

It doesn't give an AMPS rating, only wattages, Rated: MAXIMUM 420 WATTS, AC 120V~ 60Hz per Receiver, or 1,620 Watts total for all 4. What that comes out in amps I have no idea. And I looked through my owners manual, no amperage listed except for the transmitter rated AC 120V~, 9.6 Watts, 0.08 amps 60Hz

And I don't believe that mod will work for the Wireless version, since the Wireless is only 4 channels and not hard wired like the one in the video.

• 10 months later...

guess no one here ever had the reg box to try it. You have to have a OLD pc. mine is about 8 yrs old but doesn't have a port like that

im in the same boat as you .wanting to do this but broke.i wander if this will work

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=usb+to+parallel+printer+cable&hl=en&prmd=ivs&resnum=3&biw=1280&bih=607&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1660719598718154490&ei=vCLjTMm6HYa8lQexk4C2DQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CHAQ8wIwAA#

Well it seems many use doggles for such things... with suscess. i wondered how people use them with pCs that only have USB looks like you can go from USB to just about anything these days