Transmitting music costs and ???

What will it take and what are the general costs to broadcast the music to the street in front of a house, approximately 50-75 feet away?

Thanks, your replies have been very helpful. I've just ordered my first LOR controller.

Tom

they can go from 20 bucks for a belkin transmitter which for a few bucks you can modify to work. Next is a "whole house transmitter which is like $90 but only transmits from 106.5-107.9fm. Finally you can get a full commercial ramsey transmitter which gets up in the hundreds.

Around a hundred bucks, you looking at 300-400' range. If I remember right, the belkin gets a couple hundred feet, but dont quote me on that.

I use the Belkin mod. Works great, you might have to play around with the antenna length/placement, but once you do it you have it season after season. it is around 110' feet from the transmitter to the street, however it can still be heard 90+ feet down the street.

The Ramsey FM25B, FM30, and FM100 are the old standbys that a lot of us "old dogs" use. My own thoughts are the FM25B or FM30 are plenty sufficient and the FM100 is just overkill. I would NOT buy the FM10 (their cheapest one), it is not a digital (PLL) tuner and will drift badly unless you take precautions. Some here use it, but again this is just my opinion.

There's also a transmitter called "EDM" that you can search for here in the forums. I believe there is a group buy on these coming up. I don't know anything about them other than that they appear to be a slightly better value than the Ramseys, and others here say they're great.

Plan to spend around $120-$150+ unless you want to try the belkin mod...

-Tim

I've been using my Modified Belkin Tunecast I for 3 years now and it works just fine. I picked it up on Ebay for $6 and modified it with a single piece of wire. Which I got from work. Soon after doing the first one I got nervous about it's longevity and bought a couple more for backup......I've never had to use them:)

With this unit you will need a wallwart type power supply.. Radio Shack has them. The Tunecast I only has 4 Channels available for use 88.1,88.3, 88.5, and 88.7.

The Ramsey FM25B, FM30, and FM100 are the old standbys that a lot of us "old dogs" use.

Even some of us "newer" dogs use them also (the FM30 anyway - no problem getting a few hundred feet out of the box with no obstructions)... :D

I've just ordered my first LOR controller. Tom

Welcome to your new addiction...

Edited by B_Regal78
  • 3 weeks later...

I got my fm transmitter from this person. Came in from China. Worked great almost to well...I could hear my music about 1/2 to 3//4 mile from my house...I think mine is 5 watt though....Great seller. Had no problems, just took about two weeks to receive. I got the power supply, and outside antenna and all cable to plug into my laptop. Personally it was a plug and play and a no brainer. Think I spent like $125 including shipping!

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330322955136

• 2 weeks later...

No, I know it was way over...Like I said my is .5 watts. If you contact him via email he can build/ship you a complete unit for around a $125 for everything...I get great reception! For everythign I thought it was a great proce compared to the ramsey, where you still need to get the antenna and the necessary cables.../

That one says it is .5 Watt. 500 MW

I have one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=390046401571&Category=4675&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

It gets about 1/2 mile in heavy residential area, but it is not PPL and has a dial to tune it. Once warm however it does not drift. It also requires a mutiplexor to transmit in stereo

And I bought another one that is .5 watt but cannot find it listed again. $80 shipped from China

Way to much is put onto the transmitter and not nearly enough on the power supply. Both my units worked and sounded much better with a regulated filtered power supply from Power One than they did with a used computer power supply.

Plan on spending $150 for transmitter, power supply and antenna. 50-75 feet is not nearly far enough, unless you want to put marks down and sign that says "Park exactly here" to listen to the music. 500 feet is more realistic.

Edited by BMcGeeny
  • 2 weeks later...