Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mliquori

Planet Christmas Magazine

I did not have an easy time with the magazine. Seems I could only get 2 sizes. Too small to read anything or so large that I have to scroll the screen back and forth just to read every line. Is there a way to resize this better. I gave up after 4 pages.

Congrats, Chuck! Looks great! Just had to have hard copy, so dumped it to a pdf file and printed it on some glossy magazine-like paper.:D Can't wait for the next issue!

But.....(there always has to be.....)

The article on Aurora wrongly states that a powerful computer is needed. Not so. Aurora will run perfectly well with no ill effects on a 1Ghz Pentium (available at finer neighborhood dumpsters). Only caveat is when using the Waveform To Event tool - things slow down noticeably while rendering if used for a long portion of timeline - a more powerful computer helps only in this regard. Borealis will run on an "ancient" 700Mhz Pentium 3 machine quite easily. One overlooked item was that Aurora will also output video to a projection unit - has done that since the releases in early '08.

Also, Spectrum is no longer available (End of Life) after its latest incarnation was rejected by D-Light in favor of Aurora on Sept 1 of last year.

Congrats, Chuck! Looks great! Just had to have hard copy, so dumped it to a pdf file and printed it on some glossy magazine-like paper.:D Can't wait for the next issue!

But.....(there always has to be.....)

The article on Aurora wrongly states that a powerful computer is needed. Not so. Also, Spectrum is no longer available (End of Life) after its latest incarnation was rejected by D-Light in favor of Aurora on Sept 1 of last year.

The article was written way back in February... but the magazine got held up because of some production issues for this newbie. Amazing how quickly info becomes dated in the 21st century.

As for me... a bit of an oldster in the personal computer world, anything more powerful than my Apple IIE with 16KBytes of memory is quite mind numbing .)

Chuch (H), your article was the best! lol I started laughing at the top of the 2nd column, and didn't stop until the end! :D Nice way to disguise anonymous!

Great start...I'm loving the magazine already!

The only downside to the magazine is that all of my "Christmas Magic" will be revealed if it ever hits the newsstands.

...............Nice format and content, very easy to read, two thumbs up.

That sentence above looks like eBay feedback, but a good job on the magazine and all of the articles nonetheless :P

Edited by B_Regal78

The only downside to the magazine is that all of my "Christmas Magic" will be revealed if it ever hits the newsstands.

...............Nice format and content, very easy to read, two thumbs up.

That sentence above looks like eBay feedback, but a good job on the magazine and all of the articles nonetheless :P

Great magazine! Would do biz again!

Great magazine!

I had a heck of a time backing it up for a local copy. I know you have your reasons, but I like to keep copies of things that I like; for personal use of course.

I would prefer a PDF format because I can scroll it more like the chatroom but again, I

Guest Jeff_Womack

Current publishers format does not support the newest browsers on the market and don't really intend on going backwards. Like several people, I would have liked to see a PDF verson.

For what its worth, at least on my computer, if I go to the PRINT option for the magazine, you can choose 10 pages at a time and it opens them up in adobe. Just cancel the Print screen when it opens up. You can then save the 10 pages as a PDF file. Or read those 10 pages a little easier.

Close it and do the next 10 pages.

I know its kind of a hassle not being able to do the entire things, but it will work for now

Congrats, Chuck! Looks great! Just had to have hard copy, so dumped it to a pdf file

How do you do that?? (not looking to print) just would like to read it (i don't really care

too much for .PDF 's but at least its something i can deal with)

Straight HTML would be much much better

Flash sucks plain and simple (unless you like lockups and browser crashes that is)

How do you do that?? (not looking to print) just would like to read it (i don't really care

too much for .PDF 's but at least its something i can deal with)

Straight HTML would be much much better

Flash sucks plain and simple (unless you like lockups and browser crashes that is)

I have more issues with PDF than Flash. And plain HTML is pretty lame. I had no issues with the current implementation.

To create a PDF file, first you'll need Adobe Acrobat - not the freeware Reader. With Acrobat, you can create a virtual printer that will send any file you "print" to a PDF file. This way, you can make double-sided prints just like a magazine (use heavy stock paper to prevent bleed-though).

The current delivery method is the best way as it covers just about any net-accessible computer.

Edited by Flanigan

So far I have not been able to read it. Print is too small. I will have to try again. Also my other problem is being on dial up. I know, I know. Money is tight and $15 a month is better than $50 to $70 a month for satellite. No other option out here in the country. I just start a down load and come back later. My choice I live with it.

Andy Anderson

Chuck,

Nice job on the magazine, great reading. I would also like the option of a PDF download version for off-line reading and archive. Another magazine I subscribe to in E format is Circuit Cellar, they recently switched to a flash format but there is a download as PDF button in the flash player. This is great for me since I prefer PDF over Flash. They only have the most recent few issues on-line, downloading PDF is the ONLY way to archive issues if you are not a print subscriber.

Howard

anyne know if the september issue of the magazine will be online only or mailed via USPS if you already signed up for it? I remember I signed up for it back in the beginning but was jsut wondering. Maybe chuck might know...

anyne know if the september issue of the magazine will be online only or mailed via USPS if you already signed up for it? I remember I signed up for it back in the beginning but was jsut wondering. Maybe chuck might know...

Its online.

Its online.
I know it is ONLINE i have been reading it online but I remember signing up for them to be mailed to my home address as well. I was just looking to see if the 2nd issue was going ot be mailed as chuck said the first issue would be electronic only.

I guess there's no .PDF version this time???

Yes there is. Open the link to the on line edition. Once open there are buttons on the right side. One of them will open a PDF version

I guess there's no .PDF version this time???
Yes there is. Open the link to the on line edition. Once open there are buttons on the right side. One of them will open a PDF version

Last time there was a link for the .PDF in the e-mail it sent out when the new version

was posted...this time there was no link for a .PDF (the online edition page only displays

alittle message to install a certain browser plugin...no download links) :(

anyone know what the direct URL is for the PDF?