Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
skarah1313

Today has been a good blowmold day!

The woman I got my Victorian Caroler mold from last week apparently makes all the rounds of the garage sales in three different towns all week,every week for her business. And the other day,she found out that the woman she bought the Caroler from has a lot more molds in her garage that she's thinking of getting rid of. She manages to find molds every now and then anyway,but now she has a direct source for a bunch of them. She just has to go back and find out what was dug out of this woman's garage and attic a little at a time. So today I got the male Caroler and two Empire candles. The other ones she had in the back of her van I already had. I'll post some pics of what she has right now in a while. I didn't get pics of the ones in the van,but I have some catalog pics of them from Mel's disc.

Nice i talked to a guy today that said he has like 30 or 40 molds in his old storage building and wants me to come look at them all told me i can have them all for $50 if i want them im going over some time mid week to look.

Nice i talked to a guy today that said he has like 30 or 40 molds in his old storage building and wants me to come look at them all told me i can have them all for $50 if i want them im going over some time mid week to look.

$50?! That's a great deal! You have to take pics of the haul when you get them.:D

I found nothing. I went to yard sales and thrift stores and even antique malls. Just nothing out there today to be found.

That's usually the way it is down here. Most of the time,my molds come from online,like ebay.

Here are example pics of the other ones she had. They were a bit faded from years of use but could be repainted. The General Foam Snowman was missing his carrot nose.

I had a good day at yard sales. I got the TPI coca cola bear, an Empire Santa, the TPI Santa with reindeer, the GF small ghost holding a pumpkin, a Santas Best big Snoopy & the Empire Santa train and tender car. This is the best yard sale day I have had in a long time.

I went to 22 garage sales and one thrift store yesterday, visiting 10 different communities..and found NOTHING, not a thing other than a .50 3 foot Christmas tree, which I passed on. Oh well, better luck next time (what is wrong with people in Chicago..there are zillions of molds here during the holidays, but I'll be darned if they want to give them up):(

I went to 22 garage sales and one thrift store yesterday, visiting 10 different communities..and found NOTHING, not a thing other than a .50 3 foot Christmas tree, which I passed on. Oh well, better luck next time (what is wrong with people in Chicago..there are zillions of molds here during the holidays, but I'll be darned if they want to give them up):(

Hi Carrie, Move to PA there are plenty here that people don't want!

Hi Carrie, Move to PA there are plenty here that people don't want!

Karen yes we know lol You always have them on ebay its so not fair. Here is kansas you will be lucky to find 20 in one year. If you do find them all the hicks around here want boo koo of bucks ... :mad:

Hi Carrie ,Whatscha lookin for?..... We have been having a yard sale here at our house for the past 3 days and I think I had 17 blowmolds out there for sale and only sold 2, I told Greg today that we must be the only people in the Kankakee area that buy blowmolds. I thought for sure more people would come and buy them up. Geez we see a blowmold for sale its like we can't get from the car to the mold fast enough...LoL! Anyway we have a bunch for sale. Come and get em!

P.S. Since you'd be here anyway ..... I can send ya home with a few that I want painted. Hint!..Hint!

Type to ya soon Candee!

Hi Carrie ,Whatscha lookin for?..... We have been having a yard sale here at our house for the past 3 days and I think I had 17 blowmolds out there for sale and only sold 2, I told Greg today that we must be the only people in the Kankakee area that buy blowmolds. I thought for sure more people would come and buy them up. Geez we see a blowmold for sale its like we can't get from the car to the mold fast enough...LoL! Anyway we have a bunch for sale. Come and get em!

P.S. Since you'd be here anyway ..... I can send ya home with a few that I want painted. Hint!..Hint!

Type to ya soon Candee!

Hi, would you mind saying what molds youve got and the prices youre asking? I mean are they bigger molds ?...or candles & smaller inside ones...or what?

I ask because i wonder if the prices are too high? No offense here, but i think a casual display person who is getting out of the hobby will tend to sell for .50 cents - 2$ for smaller items and 2-3 $ for larger items at a garage sale. Because theyre getting out of the hobby and arent collectors they dont value their molds the way a current display person or collector would. Around the minneapolis area, .50 cents - 3$ is about what the typical garage sale person might expect to pay for a small or larger mold.

Now with that said... an active display person, or collector who knows how hard even a common blowmold can sometimes be to run across, or has an emotional bond to a mold, or has been watching ebay too long...haha...believes their stuff is worth more than 50 cents or 3 $. So, we (yes, 'we' ...im guilty too) price our stuff higher than usual garage sale prices which turns off most casual garage sale shoppers who are looking for a 'deal'.

M.

Type to ya soon Candee!

Candee, what are you selling..and yes, I will repaint whatever you want. :D

The best part of garage sale blow molds, is that most people put a higher price than they would settle for, and usually don't want to be stuck with them for another season. If the person is having a 2 day sale, you would be surprised at the deals you can get toward the end of the second day!

Hi Ross...

Welcome to the blowmold forum. I see youre from Sawyer...i wasnt exactly sure where that is so i google mapped it. About 20 miles west of Duluth. Finding any molds up there in Gods country? :)

I agree...garage sale molds usually go cheap. Half price day is the day to get them, but if i find them even on a thursday i make an offer. Hate to run the risk someone else gets it for 50 cents more.

M.

I know what you mean about buying them when you have the chance. A few weeks ago, I found a really unique Mrs. Clause at a sale, and the owner told me another person just purchased the matching santa and left the Mrs. Clause. Needless to say, I bought the Mrs. Clause anyway. It's a shame to see them separated though. It looked like it had never been used, and very old.

I picked up a couple of blowmolds as a Christmas decoration "package deal" a year ago (I didn't want them at the time), and now find myself mysteriously drawn to them, buying others when the opportunity presents itself. I don't think I will have the time or channels to incorporate my new arsenal of blowmolds into this years display, but it will happen... you can count on it!