camoflauging controllers

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made Coroplast Christmas Presents with a hollow bottom and cover ours with the boxes. I make different sizes and they look really good in the display.

Still, the controllers within those boxes must be on stands of some sort. It seems like your are substituting your "presents" for my trash bags to cover the controllers.

I must be a red-neck...

Still, the controllers within those boxes must be on stands of some sort. It seems like your are substituting your "presents" for my trash bags to cover the controllers.

I must be a red-neck...

You steal the bags from your neighbor, don't you?

Still, the controllers within those boxes must be on stands of some sort. It seems like your are substituting your "presents" for my trash bags to cover the controllers[ENDQUOTE].

Not standing, but laying on thick stepping stones and cinderblocks that kept them above water level when it rained.

Since we don't run in the rain, we weren't concerned about the connections zapping the ground.

I tried putting them all together (neat) last year. They all looked nice next to each other mounted to my garage but I probably wasted 2k feet of zip cord to make it happen. At $130 a role last year it was a good lesson for me.

How many feet of cord do you have? :eek:

I tried putting them all together (neat) last year. They all looked nice next to each other mounted to my garage but I probably wasted 2k feet of zip cord to make it happen. At $130 a role last year it was a good lesson for me.

How many feet of cord do you have? :eek:

Yeah - I don't get that. I know it looks cool to have a big wall of controllers with miles of wires running out from them but that's a PITA to deal with.

Putting the controllers out where the lights are is MUCH cheaper.

(And with the money you save on extension cords you can buy more controllers.)

Guest Lightzilla

I thought someone on PC puts their controllers inside their "blow molds" etc.

I plan to do something similar to that.......not just for tidiness but for mostly theft as well.

I was thinking of putting the 5 of the LOR controllers in side of the mini trees and the other five may go under the front porch of the house or 1 under the front porch and screw two to the left mega tree and screw two to the right mega tree .........both tree will be close to the front porch.

I hid my AL controllers under the front porch last Christmas.

My snowmen blow molds might actually be big enough to hold a controller ( under each 1)

Edited by Lightzilla

I cover mine with green outdoor carpeting. I got a 12'x12' roll at Menards and cut it to size. It works really good as a circle under the mega trees.

During the 2-3 days they are not covered by snow, they disapear into the yard.

It also makes it easy to access the boxes to test, or pull out at the end of the season, just dig out the snow, and lift the carpeting. The boxes are somewhat clean and dry.

I also coil up all the extra power cords and hide them under the carpet.

Simple and cheap.

- Michael

I just paint the enclosures dark green. The 3 that are most visible are the ones under the mega tree -> http://www.landolights.com/main/component/option,com_ponygallery/func,detail/id,117/Itemid,31/

(if you click the photo you'll get a larger version and can spot them)

It's also funny reading about inflatables killing grass. Down here in FL, they actually keep my grass alive! We typically get a killing frost in December which forces all the grass to go dormant (and get brown). In January when I take everything down, the only green areas left are under the inflatables!:D

Another way to do it is to use small controllers that don't need much in the way of camouflage. Here is a photo of a prototype DIY controller for use with Vixen that I intend to build and use. It is fairly small (2" x 1.5"), so it can fit in either a small length of PVC pipe or a small project box, and can be potted or otherwise waterproofed. It's only good for about 0.8A per channel, but that is good enough for me. This is small enough that it can be easily hidden in the display (on the backside of a mini-tree, etc). As you can see, it isn't much bigger than the 8-function controller/lights that are out there.

I don't know of any similar controllers that are commercially available, but maybe they are out there.

post-3848-129571131616_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

I'm not really concerned with what they look like in the daytime. My wife is just really against them being visible. My front yard is not all that big, the house is only about 50 feet off of the street, and it's about 90 feet long and some of the length is taken up with a double driveway. She's afraid of a cluttered look, but I think even if I disguise them, it'll still be the same thing. I'm going to show her these posts, and the videos of the poster's displays and that should convince her that having the controllers around is not the end of the world.

Frank I *KNOW* your frustration, since I've ordered 3 more controllers my wife is now telling me I need to "hide" them because of all the cords that will be coming out of and connected to them. And because of their cost.

I was initially planning on mounting them to the wooden stucco on the house, now I've got to rethink placement and extension cords if she really pushes this. I told her they'd be better secured and safe screwed down to the house and locked.

I'm trying to convince her that most of the bushes will hide the excess cords, but yes, the "junction boxes" will be visible, but no more so than the sprinkler box mounted next to the garage door.

Wives can sure be a pain at times now can't they?:giggle:

Shhh, don't tell my wife I said that or I might be sleeping in the garage!:121_reindeer:

Frank I *KNOW* your frustration, since I've ordered 3 more controllers my wife is now telling me I need to "hide" them because of all the cords that will be coming out of and connected to them. And because of their cost.

I was initially planning on mounting them to the wooden stucco on the house, now I've got to rethink placement and extension cords if she really pushes this. I told her they'd be better secured and safe screwed down to the house and locked.

I'm trying to convince her that most of the bushes will hide the excess cords, but yes, the "junction boxes" will be visible, but no more so than the sprinkler box mounted next to the garage door.

Wives can sure be a pain at times now can't they?:giggle:

Shhh, don't tell my wife I said that or I might be sleeping in the garage!:121_reindeer:

Okay Clay, you flagrantly broke a major rule (that I made up) about bringing back old threads. But since you did I have to say that I did put the controllers throughout the display. I covered them with some stolen garbage bags that I got from Dano NJ. I saved a TON of extension cords and when the display was running the were not at all noticable.

Okay Clay, you flagrantly broke a major rule (that I made up) about bringing back old threads. But since you did I have to say that I did put the controllers throughout the display. I covered them with some stolen garbage bags that I got from Dano NJ. I saved a TON of extension cords and when the display was running the were not at all noticable.

Didn't you have one fill up with water? :P

Really? :confused:

I haven't seen that rule anywhere (as yet). So I must have missed that discussion.:eek:

Could you please point me to that discussion so I can brush up on the particulars of "NOT reviving old/dead threads ettiquette".:rolleyes:

Really? :confused:

I haven't seen that rule anywhere (as yet). So I must have missed that discussion.:eek:

Could you please point me to that discussion so I can brush up on the particulars of "NOT reviving old/dead threads ettiquette".:rolleyes:

Clay, you have to learn the we sort of make up the rules as we go along, especially me.:giggle:

I use low-tech solutions for a high-tech world. I hide my controllers for two reasons: theft deterance and asthetics. This won't work for everyone but I usually have one controller in each Little Tyke's house (I build a village in my yard). The cords run out the back windows. The rest of them are hidden inside white garbage bags, loosely closed so they can breath, in the bushes behind the tree and inside the wooden boxes that comprise part of the choir risers. One has to be in the center of the yard. Its mounted to a piece of plywood that is elevated up on stakes that are attached to either end. That is usually located behind a group of blow molds and is also covered with a garbage bag (either black or white) depending upon snow conditions.

So does anyone LOCK their control boxes with any kind of lock or do you just leave them open (no locks) where you can get inside them?

I am and will be putting locks on all of mine. Especially since we have a couple of neighbors that like to open things and see what's inside and have turned off and reprogrammed our sprinklers several times (yes, it's under lock and key now too). I sure don't need any cat5 cables to go missing or some idiot getting themselves electrocuted for being stupid, so I'll be putting locks on all my controller and accessory (FM Transmitter/ShowTime MP3 Director) boxes.

BTW: "Warning: High Voltage" signs don't work for those in Darwin's gene pool.