Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
timdks

PLUS2009 - KS Mini? (Part 2)

If a KS Mini were held August 8, would you attend?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. If a KS Mini were held August 8, would you attend?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Sorry folks but somewhere I messed up. :mad:I intended to have the poll run until 6/15 but I see tonight it is closed. So if you haven't voted yet, please vote above about your interest, or not, in participating in a Mini to be held in KS.

Thanks for your patience.

New thread, new poll, so I voted again. Like last time, I am 100% coming if it is in the KC metro area. Further west and chances of me making it drops.

Will bring a 18" sprial tree that I converted from light bulbs to LED. Also how I filled the sockets with a No-Ox like electrical grease to keep the leads of the LEDs from rusting. If this would be of any interest at the mini.

Max-Paul

Team member of S.L.A.M.

Will bring a 18" sprial tree that I converted from light bulbs to LED. Also how I filled the sockets with a No-Ox like electrical grease to keep the leads of the LEDs from rusting. If this would be of any interest at the mini.

Max-Paul

Team member of S.L.A.M.

Yes your contribution would be of great interest. Thanks for offering.

New poll new vote. The funny part is that my wife is thinking about coming with me. If you have read my earlier posts you will know that my wife is almost supportive of this endeavor.

So that the fact that she is even discussing it is a major event.

Let me know what I can do to help.

New poll new vote. The funny part is that my wife is thinking about coming with me. If you have read my earlier posts you will know that my wife is almost supportive of this endeavor.

So that the fact that she is even discussing it is a major event.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Major events are good and I think your wife will have a blast. Who wouldn't?

I'm in. If the count is around 8 and the date is Aug 8, I will offer my house as the place. No parking for more than that. Tim, if you need some help let me know. I'm off on Friday afternoons in June and July.

I've been away from PC for a will but did attend the first PLUS in 2003 and look forward to getting active again.

Steve

Kent (travler911),

I guess you told your wife about how wonderful the people of Planet Christmas at SLAM were. So now she wants to meet us Christmas nuts for herself. Looks like you may win her over to the "Light" side yet. :giggle:

Mira

Mira, yes indeed I did tell here about all the wonderful people that were there. I don't honestly know if I am winning her over, or it is sheer morbid curiosity.

The real stoke of luck is that she is willing to bring the baby. That's right, lets get him corrupted while he is young.

It's looking more and more like we will be able to pull off a great Mini-PLUS in the KC area on Saturday, August 8. However, to make sure we can identify all who have indicated a Yes or Maybe to the two polls posted, let's take a roll call.

Yes

timdks...Tim...Prairie Village, KS

TysonHphoto...Tyson...Gardner, KS

jimwright...Jim...Leawood, KS

Max-Paul...???...Warrenton, MO

traveler911...Kent...Abeline, KS (wife too?)

shawniepooh...Shawn...???, KS

erictheump...Eric...Blue Springs, MO

ChristmasKC...Steve...Merriam, KS

coreysam...Sam...???, KS

Maybe

garyB...Gary...Liberty, MO

On the first poll I think there were 10 yes and 7 maybe. But that thread has been taken down, so I know I'm missing several people.

If you voted yes or maybe on the first poll and your name isn't included here, either post a reply or send me a PM to get you on this list. Also let me know about missing information shown as ??? above so we can fill in the blanks. Or you wanted to be added to this list, post a reply or send me a PM. It would be great to have a group of 20.

I'm in. If the count is around 8 and the date is Aug 8, I will offer my house as the place. No parking for more than that. Tim, if you need some help let me know. I'm off on Friday afternoons in June and July.

Steve

Steve right now looks like more than 8, but thanks for the offer. We have another venue under consideration that I think will be an added treat.

As for the offer to help, can use all the help we can get. Thanks for the offer. We (Tyson and Jim) might have a planning meeting next week at lunch, but nothing definite right now. I'll let you know.

Updated Roll Call

Yes

ChristmasKC...Steve...Merriam, KS

coreysam...Sam...???, KS

Maybe

respond2life...???...St Peters, MO

jason101...???...Godfrey, IL

My wife and son would also attend and meet everyone, especially the baby. They would have to leave about 5:00 PM. Our baby is now 18 years old and is corrupted. To bad he will be away at collage during setup this year.

Steve

Updated Roll Call

Yes

ChristmasKC...Steve (+2)...Merriam, KS

coreysam...Sam...???, KS

???...Rick...Leawood, KS

Maybe

Updated Roll Call

Yes

coreysam...Sam...???, KS

???...Rick...Leawood, KS

Gary Martin...Gary (+1)...Lawrence, KS

Maybe

Keep them coming.

Another friend of mine Richard G, Olathe, KS is for sure a maybe, more than likely a Yes. He's new to this and will either be doing his first display this year or next year. And another previous co-worker Chad L from St. Joe is a maybe.

Updated Roll Call

Yes

coreysam...Sam...???, KS

???...Rick...Leawood, KS

Gary Martin...Gary & Mary Ann...Lawrence, KS

Maybe

???...Richard...Olathe, KS

???...Chad...St. Joseph, MO

please update your list, as far as i can tell you can count me in, i am still trying to get a hold of a friend who may want to go also, keep us posted on the details.

Alright Dale J, glad to have your response. Here is the updated roll call:

Yes

coreysam...Sam...???, KS

???...Rick...Leawood, KS

Dale J...Dale...Lincoln, NE

Maybe

I am going to make the assumption that from the previous poll the mini will still be up in the Kansas City Area? If that is so, I will do what I can to attend. I don't necessarily have a display of my own but I do programming with LOR for others. So I have a bit of experience doing that. Also am working on something in 2011 for the Midwest so will have some info to share then! Hope to be there! Keep us updated. Also location would help. Unless I am blind and missed it somewhere!!! :)

I am going to make the assumption that from the previous poll the mini will still be up in the Kansas City Area? If that is so, I will do what I can to attend. Keep us updated. Also location would help. Unless I am blind and missed it somewhere!!! :)

Lyman, we hope you can make the trip north to a Mini, it we have one. I'll put you on the "Maybe" list. At this point, it appears that we will have a MiniPLUS in the KC area, but won't confirm until later this week. Also we do have a tentative site, but haven't published that yet. Needed to get an idea of the space we need based on the number who have said "yes" to attending. So you're not blind, nor missed anything at this point.

So stay tuned for further information. Also if you have others in the Hutchinson/Wichita area that might be interested in a Mini, send them toward this thread to express their interest.

Updated Roll Call

Yes

coreysam...Sam...???, KS

???...Rick...Leawood, KS

Dale J...Dale...Lincoln, NE

Maybe

Custom Christmas Displays...Lyman...Hutchinson, KS

I think you can count me in, definitely need a specific date though. I'm running two businesses right now and starting a new job in two weeks so I have a lot of irons in the fire! Would love to come though and meet everyone.