Easy way to twist lights together

Just my .02 cents here...I havehundreds of strings (super strings) that are five colors each and I do not twist them. If you have to make repairs you might as well start pulling your hair out trying to fix them.

Instead I assemble the strings with five small tie wraps along its length. I have been doing this for years and have not had any problems. It is very easy to repair and if you leave the tail of the tie wrap on it is easy to find should you need to cut it off and replace the bad string. Making repairs goes quick.

Just my opinion

Anthony

I've seen Anthony's super strings and that's what I've done with my swags as well (four colors). I tie the four to the top of a fence, go to the other end and sort of swing them like you would a jump rope. Five or six twists and then five or six zip ties and I'm all set.

This will be my first year putting multiple string together. I'll probably go the Anthony route, but I was wondering from both camps (tied vs twisted) about storage and tangles.

Seems to me twisted, especially fairly tight, would make the string stiff and rope-like. It could be coiled or wound up like a rope for storage.

I'm always looking for ways to make setup and take-down faster. What's the opinion from either side of the fence along those lines? Does the way you put these together impact the way you store them, and do they stay tangle-free?

I have a set of two that I twisted together. I have a very low speed 1/2" drill on a remote switch. This twists the two together very quickly. I agree, do not get them two tight. Also make one more than you need as a hot spare. That way when one is giving you a fit, just swap it out and repair it later.

BTW - this was not my idea about the drill. These folks here on PC are awesome for sharing their how-to's.

Does anyone have an easy "one man" way to twist light strands together?

Ray

I don't twist multiple strings of lights, but take the four colors of mi mega tree and zip tie them together, then I slice 10-20 feet of hook up wire on the puug in ends so I don't need extension cords to the controlers.

Those I do twist. I put the far end of the wire in a clamp or vice and clamp the other end into my cordless drill. I spin them just enough so they start to pull. That is tight enough.

I run 4 color super string on my roof and the way I tie them together is to zip tie the 4 bulbs just behind the socket creating one large bulb glob. Then I use a C9 gutter/shingle clip to hold the group. It does take a long time to create the strings, but everything is held in place.

I did have one string go out on me, and I just added another string over the top while it was in place, and then waited until January when I took it down to replace the string. You could not even see the dead string up there.

- Michael

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

It's abit off topic but I have just tested my icicle lights which i haven't taken down for 3 years, they do't appear to be working (i think is completely dead). You all appear to take great care about how you wrap and store your lights. Do you think it was a bad move for me to left mine out? or just bad luck?

Kat

Edited by christmaslights
spelling error

Kat,

i think you were lucky they lasted as long as you did, leaving them outside like that.

The sun and wet weather is really hard on minilights.

The wet dry cycles of the weather will corrode the light bulb contacts and the sun destroys the insulation on the wires eventually...

Actually about three years from what your telling us:)

Thanks for conducting the experiment;)

Hi guys,

It's abit off topic but I have just tested my icicle lights which i haven't taken down for 3 years, they do't appear to be working (i think is completely dead). You all appear to take great care about how you wrap and store your lights. Do you think it was a bad move for me to left mine out? or just bad luck?

Kat

Yes... I do

I must agree with the others, I take my stuff down after the season.

I will throw out another idea. I went and bought a long section of cord wrap. It's a plastic channel with a slit cut down the side. I then cut these into 4-6 inch sections. I then placed them on the long runs of cord. This way I am able to pull them apart if needed without fighting them.

Kent

I tied the twisted lights last year and the wrapped together. I found that the twisted worked better for trees specially when taking them down. I just wrapped them in a ball and no mess no hassel. The problem is repair which can be a bit difficult.

The ones I tied together much easier to fix and work well for roofline and other applications but a pain with trees because they got caught on smaller branches.

Icecicles outside after the holidays looks bad.