solid, inexpensive base ideas

I need some ideas for the ring at the bottom of the tree to attach lights to. I'm building several very large mega tree's (30-50ft). Last year I used tent stakes which was nice to tensioning strings as they stetched, but I did have a few that pulled out during some rough weather. I'm thinking of just using PVC and some cinder blocks, but did not know if anyone had used a more elegant... or cheaper solution.

I need some ideas for the ring at the bottom of the tree to attach lights to. I'm building several very large mega tree's (30-50ft). Last year I used tent stakes which was nice to tensioning strings as they stetched, but I did have a few that pulled out during some rough weather. I'm thinking of just using PVC and some cinder blocks, but did not know if anyone had used a more elegant... or cheaper solution.

I use 1/2" PVC in a circle. I insert four tees pointing down. I then drive four pieces of rebar into the lawn and place the PVC ring on top of them with the rebar in the tees. To keep it from popping up, I cloth tape the tees to the rebar. Once this is set, centered and level and painted dark green, I attach the light strings to the ring with tie-wraps. It's simple and cheap. The whole ring is about a foot from the ground to keep the plugs off of the ground.

Dog "Tie-out" stakes are supposted to hold approx. 75-100 lbs dogs, they would probably help, and they'd be less obtrusive than cinder blocks.

This will be my first year with a MEGA Tree but my plans combine a few ideas.....

I will make a ring of PVC. My plans call for the "Dog Tie Down's" placed at the four "corners" of the ring and the lights will be zip tied to the ring with the male plugs close to the ring and tensioned so as to "elevate" the ring a foot or so from the ground. To keep tension on the light strings and to accomodate any stretching of the light strings... I plan to use "Bungee" cords from the ring to the Dog Tie Down points. In my mind's eye, this should allow for some spring in the event of windy weather and still be able to keep the light strings pulled taught.

Doug

I must agree witht he above comments. I use te PVC ring, rebar, and zip tie method.Go with some electrical cnduit this way you won't need couplings to connect the pipe. You could stake the PVC ring striaght to the ground if you like to save a littl e$. I have done both a raised ring and a non raised ring without any issues of water.

This will be my first year with a MEGA Tree but my plans combine a few ideas.....

I will make a ring of PVC. My plans call for the "Dog Tie Down's" placed at the four "corners" of the ring and the lights will be zip tied to the ring with the male plugs close to the ring and tensioned so as to "elevate" the ring a foot or so from the ground. To keep tension on the light strings and to accomodate any stretching of the light strings... I plan to use "Bungee" cords from the ring to the Dog Tie Down points. In my mind's eye, this should allow for some spring in the event of windy weather and still be able to keep the light strings pulled taught.

Doug

My mega tree is approximately 17' tall (not counting the topper and the distance above the ground, but the tree itself). I believe I use 5 strings per color per channel (maybe 6, but I'll use 5 to illustrate my point). My tree has 10 channels and 3 colors, which means I use 150 light stringers (I consider my tree small to medium). While each string does not weigh much, all of those strings together do (which is why the Mrs. does not help me put it away). I would be leary of using bunge cords as a way to remove the sag. When I put my tree up using new lights, I do try to stretch them out to whatever extent possible, to eliminate any sagging. Of course it's going to occur anyway, but honestly, my tree never has sagged that much where it really looked bad. If anything, I just lower the ring a bit by pounding the stakes a bit deeper into the ground. This year, I broke down and bought a winch - I'll be so diappointed in around Christmas as I will not be using my ladder, and if the tree sags, I'll just give another click on the winch and tighted everything back up.

I use 1/2" PVC in a circle. I insert four tees pointing down. I then drive four pieces of rebar into the lawn and place the PVC ring on top of them with the rebar in the tees. To keep it from popping up, I cloth tape the tees to the rebar. Once this is set, centered and level and painted dark green, I attach the light strings to the ring with tie-wraps. It's simple and cheap. The whole ring is about a foot from the ground to keep the plugs off of the ground.

I like that idea. But if you used PVC Xes instead if tees and run the rebar through them you wouldn't need to cloth tape them.

Greg

I like that idea. But if you used PVC Xes instead if tees and run the rebar through them you wouldn't need to cloth tape them.

Greg

The tees keep the rebar from coming out the other side. The rebar is hit into the ground and say a foot remains above the surface. The PVC tee is place over the rebar until the rebar bottoms out on the backside of the tee. This keeps the ring off the ground. To keep the ring from coming off of the rebar (e.g. lifting off of the rebar), the PVC tee is taped to the rebar itself.

I use the dog stakes (the big screws that you put in the ground) then run PVC through the handles of the stakes. No tywraps wire ties or anything else needed to hold the PVC. Then attach my light strands to the PVC circle.

What I built was a PVC ring that fit around the megatree pole e.g. 2" PVC pole and I used a 2" 4 way, drilled a 2 1/2" hole thru the middle of it. From the tee's I used 2" PVC. At the end of each on I swedged down so I could add a 1" Tee. I used 1/2" electricial conduit and ran it thru the tee's. I used about 20 feet for a 6 foot dia. circle. I joined it into a circle without using any cement and worked great. It gives enough weight to hold the string of lights down. I did add a couple of guide lines just so it couldn't spin.

ring.jpg