Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
michael b

Florida Mini 09' September 19th at Lori's Lighted D'Lites!

Hi All........

Thanks for all of your comments. We had a blast yesterday, other than the heat I think it went well. It was really nice putting faces to the names and meeting everyone! I feel like I made some really good friends and Ms. Patti I truly enjoyed our talks and thank you for the sugar cookie recipe! Mr. & Mrs. Newsom thank you so much for helping and staying to make sure all was taken care of. Ms. Emily it was very nice meeting you. All in all I hope it was informative and satisfying to all. Not knowing what to expect I feel like Gene and I did OK for our first attempt at a get together that turned out bigger than expected. Let's do it again - IN OCTOBER......maybe it will be cooler ..... who am I fooling we do live in Florida.

Mr. Micheal B. and Mr. Bill V. thank you for confidence in letting us host this for you all.

Lori, Gene, Andrew, Logan and Leisha (my adopted daughter since everyone was calling her my my daughter!) And Mr. Artie our jack of all trades - cooking, parking and directing!

Here is a crowd shot: They are probably looking at the RGB LED rope light Bill was showing. The next pic is Bill showing the Cosmic Color Ribbon, very cool. This new product from LOR is awesome. Then, you have Gene cooking and a food line shot.

I'll post more pics later.

What a couple of generous hosts we had!! Gene and Lori and crew, thank you so much for your generosity....breakfast treats, lunch, and a free wire frame and clips and lights for those who attended, it can not get any better than that! I did not need any wire frames, but ended up buying three because I was caught up in the excitement! This was much better than I was expecting, well worth the time spent.

Excellent speakers and well organized, Michael and Bill did a great job of pulling this off. Thanks to all those that participated.

Thanks also goes to Chuck for not showing up, one more person in that classroom would have created too much heat and would have blown the roof off. The heat was not too unbearable...anyone ever invent or see a portable ceiling fan? Maybe something like that might help...

Hope we do it again next year...maybe Chuck will make it up (bring a fan) after seeing all the great pictures Michael posted ...thanks again Michael to you and Bill and Lori's ...

post-359-129571150562_thumb.jpg

post-359-129571150571_thumb.jpg

post-359-129571150577_thumb.jpg

post-359-129571150583_thumb.jpg

RJ taught on DIY, DMX and his LYNX controllers. As you can see many were extremely interested in RJ's information. If you are will to build it yourself he can save you money. :)

Thanks also goes to Chuck for not showing up, one more person in that classroom would have created too much heat and would have blown the roof off.

I'm glad I was able to help.

And, Michael, those are great pics.

Here is Doug ready to Chop Chuck H. (Not really, he is giving tips on LOR 2.)

Doug leading the LOR2 Question and answer session. He won the LOR controller, BTW! Thanks Dan!

Lori lighting our free Mini Moose. Gene made each family a Moose, Lori showed us how to light it, and they gave us two sets us lights and clips! Wow!

That's it on pics from me.

Edited by Michael B

Thanks, and what a wonderful time it was!!

Bill and Michael did a fantastic job organizing this event and lining up a series of wonderful presentations, I learned a lot and met a lot of new Florida friends. Of course their must be a big thanks to Gene and Lori for providing such a wonderful facility for us to have such an event at, the showroom made it impossible to not be in the holiday mood.

I don't know how you folks deal with this kind of heat on a daily basis, it was rather warm compared to Michigan at this time of year. This was the highlight of my vacation to FL, so thanks to everyone involved for making it such a great experience.

Bill, sorry I missed your stop for dinner on the way home, I was in the right lane for 75 south when I realized you were turning left to stop and I was on the way up the ramp with no turning back option (guess we should have traded cell numbers).

Thanks again, everything was great,

Jerry

Hey Chuck,

for someone who had to mention about 319 times that you won't be at the event, you sure have a lot to say about it :)

Just got home. Thanks for the invite and we had a great time. Hope I answered a few questions LOL I was glad to see the interest and man I was answering questions while we were getting loaded to drive away. It was really great to see that many people excited about christmas.

Thanks Lori, Gene, Bill, Michael et al for hosting and all the work done. It is a major project to make something like that happen and it was great! Bill, I also did not get the stuff I wanted to do done either. I think we could of had twice the time and still not covered it all.

RJ

I had a GREAT time not driving that far. :P

Not as much as we enjoyed you NOT driving that far!

I am just kidding Chuck you know it! We had no one to push thing over on this year!

RJ

P.S.

If I do one in central Florida next year, could you "NOT" not drive that far to it? LOL

Thanks, and what a wonderful time it was!!

Bill and Michael did a fantastic job organizing this event and lining up a series of wonderful presentations, I learned a lot and met a lot of new Florida friends. Of course their must be a big thanks to Gene and Lori for providing such a wonderful facility for us to have such an event at, the showroom made it impossible to not be in the holiday mood.

I don't know how you folks deal with this kind of heat on a daily basis, it was rather warm compared to Michigan at this time of year. This was the highlight of my vacation to FL, so thanks to everyone involved for making it such a great experience.

Bill, sorry I missed your stop for dinner on the way home, I was in the right lane for 75 south when I realized you were turning left to stop and I was on the way up the ramp with no turning back option (guess we should have traded cell numbers).

Thanks again, everything was great,

Jerry

Jerry

Now I know what happened to you-thanks for letting me know. Sorry we missed not having dinner with you. I sure enjoyed your pictures and you are the most organized guy I know when it comes to your storing of your collection. You are also the biggest junk collector I know and you amaze me at the stuff you come up with! Wish I could find the stuff you do. Glad you could join us at this mini and good seeing again.

Bill

RJ

I thank you for your great presentation and we learned one thing from the schedule. It was not long enough! Next time we will split presentations into 2 segments and double the time. I think it is tough to hold audience for 2 hr session. I think 1 hr with 15 min break and then 2nd hour could work. What do you think?

Bill

Special thanks to Gene, Lori and crew for hosting the 2009 mini, you guys went all out. Michael and Bill, great job putting the event together.

Unless someone has done something like this, they can not imagine the amount of effort it takes to be successful.

Bill thanks your education on LED. I now have a base understanding and look forward to next years "The Return of the LED". You probably just saved me countless hours and possible electrocution.

The speakers/presentations were great. I don't think I could have absorbed much more.

L

Whew, we got home this afternoon all tired -- and revved up to start decorating. So after a long rest this afternoon, we are up and moving about. The dogs won't let us out of their sight as they think it was just awful we left them at home, they wanted to go too.

Like so many, we went hog wild and bought a bunch of wireframes and lights from Lori's. It is really hard to not do so, they are all so awesome. For anyone who has not seen these live, the photos doe not do them justice. They look fabulous. We bought several and ordered more.

I was amazed at how quickly they made my special order. In only a day it was done and ready for us to pick up at the Mini. That is incredible service!

The Fla Mini was great. You can tell it was great, because everyone endured the heat to stay and listen to the great presentations.

I think everyone learned something, and we all made new friends.

I loved putting faces to the names of the wonderful people on Planet Christmas. And those name tags were very helpful.

Thanks to Michael and Bill and Lori & Gene and those that helped them. What a well run mini this was!

I want to send special thanks to Joel & Kathy for bringing our wire frames back to our home. They really went way way out of their way to do this. They have the True Christmas Spirit all year long!

It was great meeting my neighbor Mr. Saunders and his son who live in Moultrie. We live so close but have never met each other.

Watching wireframes being built was very interesting and I'm conviced I'd rather buy them from Lori's than make my own!

Here's a few photos I took. I took mostly photos of the beautiful lights!

Darlene & John

Edited by Darlene Pino

If I forgot to thank anyone, THANK YOU. The hospitality was wonderful.

also, if you get a chance to Eat at Laredo's Mexican Restaurant there, it was very very good.

One more post... My husband, John, asked me to post about our FM Transmitter as several had asked him about it.

We have the Mobile Blackbox MBB-v600. It has been wonderful, and has good transmission distance without an extra antenna. If anyone is interested in more information, go to:

http://www.mobileblackbox.com/content/view/40/75/

Darlene

Darlene

Nice meeting you and John, you are nice people. Thanks for your pictures and comments. Glad Joel could help you with delivery. Just shows what Christmas people are all about. Thanks for coming from Ga to join us as we enjoyed having you.

Bill