Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
michael b

Florida Mini 09' September 19th at Lori's Lighted D'Lites!

Michael,

Put me down for 1. Look forward to seeing you again.

Lee Leibecki

Atlantic Beach, Fl

Lee,

I have you down. It will be great to see you again, too. I still appreciate you taking the time to helping me get my laptop on my wireless network.

Here is info on places to stay by Lori's:

Motels:

Best Western

1290 N. Temple Street

Starke, Florida

(904) 964-6744

Days Inn

1101 N. Temple Street

Starke, Florida

(904) 964-7600

Red Carpet Inn

744 N. Temple Street

Starke, Florida

(904) 964-5590

That's about it in Starke in reference to ones most know, have few smaller ones. These are all within 5-6 miles of our shop.

Campground:

KOA Campground

1475 S. Walnut Street

Starke, Florida

(904) 964-8484

We are almost positive they have cabins.

My wife and I will be there. Do you need us to bring anything? We live close and can help with food or anything. Let us know. Also, I have some stuff I can bring to sell if anyone is interested: green minis, red minis, white minis, multi minis. Let me know if you want anything. We are looking forward to meeting everyone.

Ralph, I have you and your wife down. I'll ask Lori about the food. I will send you a PM in a couple of minutes.

Gene from Lori's Lighted D'Lites is going to make each attendee a wireframe for you to take home. We were thinking of a wreath. Anyone have any ideas? :santasmileyitty:

How about a fireworks starburst?

My wife and I will be there. Do you need us to bring anything? We live close and can help with food or anything. Let us know. Also, I have some stuff I can bring to sell if anyone is interested: green minis, red minis, white minis, multi minis. Let me know if you want anything. We are looking forward to meeting everyone.

I need green minis about 15 strands

Up date time: We have 33 people committed to coming and 11 more that hope to come to the Florida Mini. This is shaping up to be the largest Florida Mini yet.

This event is free: thanks to Lori and Gene. :)

If you are wanting to buy, sell, trade; post it here.

58 more days!

Lori, Gene, Bill, and I are so looking forward to seeing old friends again and meeting many new ones. :santasmileyitty:

Have you decided what time of day it will start and end?

Or am I asking too early? I'm trying to decide whether to get a hotel room for one night or two.

I plan on being there and possibly my wife.

Coming in from Winter Haven.

Thanks,

Paul

Also, if anyone has been playing with LightShowPro, I would like to see how people are being precise in their sequencing. It seems more difficult than Vixen...

Not sure if I can come yet... I am working with LSP now... they have export dont they so you can import and export vixen files? Why not do what you know the best on vixen and then shift over to LSP and use its newer features there. Whats one thing I like about LSP is you can use your old familiar software as a tool to work along side LSP or vice versus.

Have you decided what time of day it will start and end?

Or am I asking too early? I'm trying to decide whether to get a hotel room for one night or two.

We will start at 10 am and end whenever. We want to leave the end time open for now.. We are structuring the Mini so there are just three presentations with communicating time. We want people talking and sharing ideas.

The LOR 2 session will have a short presentation. Then we will have questions and answers. It is my hope and design that an attendee will ask something like: If I have a channel I want to move, do I have to move all the other channels? Then 1-3 attendees would chime in how they would do it. Maybe some would show how they sequenced a particular event.

My and Bill's vision is for this Mini to be more interactive and less sit and listen.

Not sure if I can come yet... I am working with LSP now... they have export dont they so you can import and export vixen files? Why not do what you know the best on vixen and then shift over to LSP and use its newer features there. Whats one thing I like about LSP is you can use your old familiar software as a tool to work along side LSP or vice versus.

Joe,

Let me know if you can make it. It will be great to see you again.

My wife and are will probably be able to make it, but won't be able to confirm until later. Looking forward to it, though!

RO

My wife and are will probably be able to make it, but won't be able to confirm until later. Looking forward to it, though!

RO

I have you and your wife down as a maybe. I wait to hear from you. Thank you! :santasmileyitty:

Joseph

Sure hope you can make it as I would like to meet you. Your points are well taken and will be addressed by RJ in his presentation as he will be using Vixen, LSP and LOR and all will be done wireless. I think it will show what you are pointing out. It should be way cool!

Bill

I just got done counting out all my lights for this year. I have 50 red 100 count used strings and 50 green 100 count used strings for sale if anyone is interested. PM me if you want them.

We have 35 attendees and 13 maybes. Last year we had 38. I'm excited about the turnout. 55 days to the Florida Mini! :santasmileyitty:

BTW, I will be going to Louisville this Friday for Re-PLUS. I hope to have internet, but not sure. I know a few people are going from Florida. I'll see you guy there.

Joseph

Sure hope you can make it as I would like to meet you. Your points are well taken and will be addressed by RJ in his presentation as he will be using Vixen, LSP and LOR and all will be done wireless. I think it will show what you are pointing out. It should be way cool!

Bill

I am using LSP now and it is driving my Animated Lighting Products as well as 2 each 8 channel LOR's together at same time. Also looking to build a renard based Vixen controller before Christmas as well. I think LSP will definately be the state of the art, especially for those that want to mix and match light controller hardware. LSP has definately torn down the walls that used to exist between different ways to control Christmas lights.

Joseph

Sure is cool what you are doing and I am totally looking forward to seeing these options in operation which is what RJ will be doing in his presentation. Are you using DMX with your LSP? I am using DMX this year for 1st time and hope to learn about DMX and methods of controlling it. My plans now are to control with LOR 1000 adapter and sequence with LOR. Should I be looking at LSP to do this? I hope to be controlling 200' to 300' of RGB ribbon rope light with DMX. I want to do it the easiest way possible. My least favorite part of this is programming my 240 channels. Does LSP make the programming any easier?

Bill

I am using LSP now and it is driving my Animated Lighting Products as well as 2 each 8 channel LOR's together at same time. Also looking to build a renard based Vixen controller before Christmas as well. I think LSP will definately be the state of the art, especially for those that want to mix and match light controller hardware. LSP has definately torn down the walls that used to exist between different ways to control Christmas lights.

Joseph

Sure is cool what you are doing and I am totally looking forward to seeing these options in operation which is what RJ will be doing in his presentation. Are you using DMX with your LSP? I am using DMX this year for 1st time and hope to learn about DMX and methods of controlling it. My plans now are to control with LOR 1000 adapter and sequence with LOR. Should I be looking at LSP to do this? I hope to be controlling 200' to 300' of RGB ribbon rope light with DMX. I want to do it the easiest way possible. My least favorite part of this is programming my 240 channels. Does LSP make the programming any easier?

Bill

It looks like LSP has one of the best RGB supporting features in the market. Some people have remarked it handles fireflies and other RGB items superior to LOR 2 and other softwares but this of course like anything is highly subjective. Myself I am not highly interested in individual pixel or node RGB but I would like strings where you can negotiate the color of all bulbs on a 400 ft run of RGB lights all together at the same time with just 3 total channels and I cant believe the market hasnt found a way to fill this niche at all. Cost analysis suggests something under the entire string concept would cut the costs of RGB lights by 2/3 over having individual node control. I would ultimately like something like this so you could "color wheel" every light in the yard to the same color at the same time, but this would be cost prohibitive and probably swamp out controllers no matter how strong your computer is by using individual node control to do it. The closest option out there is a Philips brand that uses either RB, GB, or GR lights (2 color LED) and you'd have to remove controllers and rewire so LOR/AL could power the 2 color power feeds similar to the way you rewire chasing lights to be LOR controllable.

LSP also has some really good effects like SonoFX so you can automate driving lights automatically based on sound organ technology, it sets it up so that the programming is exportable back to LOR, AL or Vixen and also interesting because it does very complicated use of multiple up ramps, fade downs and multiple light intensities to illustrate the wave pattern in audio, its one of the best sound organ based converters I've seen and quite usable.

I would like to go to miniplus but basically my A/C in my car went out and now I have some problem with car appeared just 1 week before getting laid off last month. I am trying to fix the car but lets say I can afford my modest bills on unemployment. Taking the truck down to dealer and let them charge me $2000 to fix it just doesnt fit an unemployment check budget so I am making fixing my truck during my downtime myself a priority. My wheels arent reliable enough at moment for me to commit to a 100+ mile drive but if I can get all repaired I may still make it. I traced down a vacuum leak and repaired it, extracted my freon and about to replace my drier and freon filter in A/C system and have to replace a coil in a very difficult place to get to and see if this doesnt get me repaired.

Edited by Joseph Ayo