Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
michael b

Florida Mini 09' September 19th at Lori's Lighted D'Lites!

Michael,

Now that you have updated the count, you can change it, lol. You can move me from the maybe list to the attending list, I've changed/made my plans so I can be there, "Michigan will be in represented".

Now, come on Chuck, I'm driving 25 hours, you should be able to make the short drive.

Can't wait to meet everyone.

Jerry

P.S. Bill, I'll bring pictures of the project.

Jerry you are offically moved from maybe to attending! :)

We now have 52 attending and 17 maybes. I do believe you will win the longest distance award! You may drive to Miami to pick it up after the Mini! :giggle:

Michael,

Now that you have updated the count, you can change it, lol. You can move me from the maybe list to the attending list, I've changed/made my plans so I can be there, "Michigan will be in represented".

Now, come on Chuck, I'm driving 25 hours, you should be able to make the short drive.

Can't wait to meet everyone.

Jerry

P.S. Bill, I'll bring pictures of the project.

OK, we're in! So mark us down for four please. It will be myself, Bernie and our two kids, ages 10 and 12. Can't wait!

OK, we're in! So mark us down for four please. It will be myself, Bernie and our two kids, ages 10 and 12. Can't wait!

Deanna,

I have you, Bernie, and your two kids down as attendees. We'll have at least 5 kids 9-12. Lori will have fun activities for them.

Michael

I have some exciting news: I'm still not going.

:P

Chuck, I still have you not attending. I believe you'll change your mind at the last minute, because you like danger!:eek:

Update: 57 attendees (52 adults 5 Kids(Ages 9-12)), 15 maybes

I'm thrilled with the number of decorators coming. It will be exciting to have this many Christmas nuts together! :santasmileyitty:

Bill and I are working on the agenda at this moment. We will post it after a few details are complete. Actually, Bill is doing most of the work and I am putting my two cents in. :)

Hi, My two "maybes" are confirmed now as definites. This will bring our total to 4 adults.

Thanks

OK Danny i have 4 for you as Attending. Thanks!

Okay, I may have my parents coming to the mini also. I am looking forward to it.

Shane,

I had you down as attending and your wife as a maybe, now I'm adding your parents as two more maybes. :santasmileyitty:

I had a great day at Lori's lighted D'Lites. They make Wireframes for Christmas, Halloween, and the other holidays. It was a blast talking with the owners, Gene and Lori. We are having the Florida Mini there on September 19th. So far almost 60 people are coming.

I already scouted which wireframes I am going to buy. This is going to be fun! :santasmileyitty:

Bill and I have an agenda for the Florida Mini. There is information at the Mini on the PC calendar:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=56&day=2009-9-19

I will keep this updated, please check it every so often. This is our tentative plans for the Mini.

If you would like a more detailed agenda e-mail me at:

[email protected]

In a couple of days I will send out the latest agenda.

19 more days until the Florida Mini! :santasmileyitty:

Here's the latest information:

The Florida Mini

10 am until ?

Lori's Lighted D'Lites

21535 US Highway 301 North

Lawtey, Florida 32058

(904) 782-3701 or toll-free (877) 647-4906

Food:Coffee, danish, juice, etc... for morning

Hamburgers, hot dogs, bake beans, etc... for lunch

(If you need to have a special diet, please bring it with you. :))

This event is free. The space and food is provided by Gene and Lori the owners of Lori's Lighted D'Lites.

Presentations:

Wireframe making by Gene, the owner of Lori's

Wireframe lighting by the other owner and wife Lori

DIY, DMX, and much more by RJ

LED's, Cosmic Color Ribbon, RGB rope light by Bill Vanderslice

LOR2 by Doug

Several decorators will be sharing what they have been working on.

Buy/Sale/Trade: You are encouraged to bring items to sale, buy items from each other, or trade.

Lori and Gene will have high quality, made in their shop wireframes to purchase. Check their website: http://www.lorislighteddlites.com/ for an extensive list with pictures.

Attendees are encouraged to bring something they are working on or have completed to share, bring a photo album of your display, your lap top with photos and/or videos, etc...

If you need help or have a question about decorating, make sure you ask. There is going to be some incredible talent at this Mini. Introduce yourself and get to know your fellow decorators.

Lori, Gene, Bill, and I want this Mini to be for to meet and get to know other decorators, ask questions, share what you are doing, get help, network, shop, help someone else, sale something, etc. What we don't want is for you to feel you have to sit through every presentation and not meet anyone. We hope to see many of you chatting off to the side exchanging ideas. :santasmileyitty:

As of 9-04 we have 59 people attending.

Here is info on places to stay by Lori's:

Motels:

Best Western

1290 N. Temple Street

Starke, Florida

(904) 964-6744

Days Inn

1101 N. Temple Street

Starke, Florida

(904) 964-7600

Red Carpet Inn

744 N. Temple Street

Starke, Florida

(904) 964-5590

That's about it in Starke in reference to ones most know, have few smaller ones. These are all within 5-6 miles of our shop.

Campground:

KOA Campground

1475 S. Walnut Street

Starke, Florida

(904) 964-8484

We are almost positive they have cabins.

I can be moved from a maybe to a pretty sure....

I just made the drive from Miami to Gainesville Thursday - is not a fun drive, then went from Gainesville to North Carolina yesterday - passed by Lori's on the way up to NC, saw they had the warehouse door opened (lots of big wire frames inside) There will be a lot cars parked along 301, didn't look like too much parking was there on their lot, but I am sure they have it all figured out.

Looking foward to it....and to seeing Chuck again, even if he doesn't make it there....

I can be moved from a maybe to a pretty sure....

I just made the drive from Miami to Gainesville Thursday - is not a fun drive, then went from Gainesville to North Carolina yesterday - passed by Lori's on the way up to NC, saw they had the warehouse door opened (lots of big wire frames inside) There will be a lot cars parked along 301, didn't look like too much parking was there on their lot, but I am sure they have it all figured out.

Looking foward to it....and to seeing Chuck again, even if he doesn't make it there....

Great JJ! It will be wonderful to see you again. We now have 60 people coming. BTW there is aside lot to park in. I was just there and Gene and I were talking about parking.

JJ, in a couple of days I will PM you about bringing some of you security cameras to share. I'm out of town right now.

I'm getting really excited! The Florida Mini is in 11 days! :santasmileyitty:

We have some talented people ready to share what they know about LOR 2, DMX, DIY, LED's, wireframes, and more.

If you have any questions about your display, bring them to the Mini. There will be someone there who can probably answer it. I know I have several LOR2 sequencing questions. I have been sequencing a lot lately and I hope there must be some shortcuts, I don't know.

If you have said you might come, please let me know. If you told me you are coming, but can't make it, please let me that, too. Lori and Gene need to know so they will have plenty of food for everyone. A breakfast snack and lunch will be provided. This event is free thanks to Lori and Gene.

See you all soon!