Baby back ribs??

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Practice.

After a while you learn to leave the lid closed and you just know when it's done.

A lot depends on the cut of the meat. Steaks generally take higher heat for a shorter period. Ribs are tougher meat and a longer cook at a lower temp breaks down the "toughness".

Sorry, I should have been specific. Steaks I know. Ribs are a little different...

I think that the tricky part with ribs is finding the perfect doneness. Too long and they dry out, too short and they are tough. I've done both, I just have a hard time finding the perfect middle. In my case, they have always been delicious, however, I know they can be better if finished at the perfect time... The answer *is* out there somewhere. Someone knows...

Jeremy- If you notice, an uncooked rack or 1/2 rack of ribs is a bit stiff. Hold it in the middle with tongs and both sides stick straight out. When the ribs are cooked to perfection and you hold it in the middle with tongs, both sides flop down or bend easily.

I'm not entirely sure that post was 100% family friendly but I'm not going to say anything. ;)

Let me elucidate...

Any post involving meat and/or stiff and flop can be construed as unfamily friendly...but only in dirty minds such as mine, Chuck's and the Bull's...:giggle:

I'm still stuck on all the butt rubbing...ha..ha..:P

Let me elucidate...

Any post involving meat and/or stiff and flop can be construed as unfamily friendly...but only in dirty minds such as mine, Chuck's and the Bull's...:giggle:

I'm still stuck on all the butt rubbing...ha..ha..:P

I laughed long and hard at that!

What about par boiling? Anyone do that before cooking?

I use a pressure cooker most of the time. They always come out nice and tender. I may try that method with that multi-day marinade recipe.

OK, I know I'm really late on this, but I think I have a pretty dang good/great rib recipie which I have perfected to the point I almost was ropped into going into the BBQ biz myself.

No, joking, I was layed off last year and looked into a BBQ franchise and also what it woult take to go it alone.

Needless to say, after months of research I decided both the franchise and going it alone just wasn't for me.

Anyway, this is my recipie for dang good real smoked ribs.

Most important - I never do ribs on a grill. I have a grill but do nt use for low and slow. Get your self a cheap smoker. Don't need to spend $1000+.

For the ribs, I like baby backs. There is practically no waste with backs. If you go with spare ribs, your spending a lot of money on waste. They need to be trimmed well. St. louse styale is what I founf is best (you can look up on the 'net that type of cut).

Most important trick is to get the membrane off the back of the ribs. If you done take that off, the back side of the ribs will not cook right. How do you get that off, ahhh, thats a trick also.

Now, the rub.

I NEVER use iodised salt, I think it does not have good taste. Get Kosher salt and use very little. Salt pulls moister from the meat.

Rub:

1TBS Kosher salt

2TBS brown sugar - get the raw sugar if you can.

2TBS ground cumin - more to taste

1TBS chili powder

2TBS black pepper

1TSP white pepper

1TBS garlic powder

1TBS Onion Powder

4TBS Paprika

1TBS gound sage

Make a lot, but your going to completly cover the ribs all around. This makes the 'bark'.

No need to marinade the ribs. Prepare the day before. Smear with a very little amount of yellow mustard. This acts as the marinade and gives the rub something to stick to.

Once you rubbed them, wrap them tight in plasic wrap and place in the fridge.

The next day, depending on when you want to eat, my process takes five hours.

Start your smoker with charcoal. While the coals are getting ashed over, soak a good amount of wood chips or chunks. don't use miskeat, wood is too strong. USe hickory or fruit wood such as peach.

When the coals are just ashed over place them in the smoker. Then place a good amount like a huge handfull of wood on the coals.

Ribs should be in the smoker.

Try to maintain the heat no hotter than 220 and no lower than 185. This is the tricky part based on your smoker.

Smoke staight up for two hours.

Then, remove ribs and wrap them in foil, tightly. Place back in the smoker, for two more ahors, heat at 200 - 220.

After two hours, remove ribs, reserving the juice. Now place ribs back in the smoker for one hour - again heat at 200-220 degrees. This will create the 'bark' or crisp crust.

Once ribs are down, you'll know because the meat should be pulling away from the bone.

Remove ribs. Place on plate and if they are dry, pour the reserved sauce over the ribs for those who like them 'wet'. That's really all that is needed for bbq sauce.

Now, if you want award winning bbq sauce, that's another request.

Hope you enjoy the really best ribs you will make!

Joe,

That's very similar to Walter's recipe. :rolleyes: (And I agree about the kosher salt. I use very little salt on anything but when I do I generally use kosher.)

I'll have to try wrapping in plastic and refrigerating overnight.

So, how DO you remove the membrane? I didn't bother and they were fine.

Chuck,

The name is John not Joe.

Anyway, getting the membrane off is one of the biggest tricks in the book. It opens up the back part of the rib to flavoring. Also, it makes the meat much more tender once cooked. If you notice, when you cook with the membran on, the back side of the rib tends to be very dry and the membrane gets kinda hard.

To get the membrane off, get a very and I mean VERY sharp paring knife. Start at one corner of the end of the rib. Start on the bone and slide the knife under the membrane about a quarter of the way. Then gently lift the knife to release the membrane from the bone. Once you get a good porttion to grab, then get a dry paper towel and grab the lifted membrane and pull gently until the entire membrane releases and lifts up. If it brakes which it probably will, just get the knife again and lift the membrane the same way.

I have found(another trick), let the pork sit out for about fifteen minutes before geting the membrane off. No need to worry about the 'pork police' casing you for leaving the pork out. It's not enought time for that.

Wrapping them the day before with the rub creates the marinade. Try it, I will bet you will like my procedure best of all.

I Googled it and came up with this. Has anyone tried marinating ribs for 2-3 days before? Is it worth the effort? If so, do you have a favorite recipe or does this look "good enough"?

This is Low Calorie marinade.....who wants to eat healthy ribs....:rolleyes:

ME, I have 3 pounds of ribs in my fridge right now with this marinades name written all over them.

I'll be the crash test dummy for this recipe and see if its any good....and worth the 2 day wait.

Archived