Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
skarah1313

I hate USPS!

Last week,I got an email telling me that the postman tried to deliver a package to my office but since it was the holidays,he left a notice for me to pick it up today. Fine,no problem. So today,I called to make sure that it was there since sometimes he tries to re-deliver the following business day. The postal employee on the phone said it wasn't there and he most likely had it. 4:00 rolls around and nothing. Again,no problem,I can pick it up. So I called again and it was there. So I drive down to the post office and usually they close at 5. Not today! Today they decided to close at 4:30,so fine,it was 4:24 when I got there. 6 minutes to get someone to answer the doorbell at the parcel pick up. But did someone answer? NO! And this employee in the other room just gave me a dirty look and ignored me! Now I know it's a crappy job to work at a post office,what with all the jerks that come in to complain. I know what that's like since I'm a secretary at a government office,so I hear it all the time. But seriously,postal employees seem to think they are the ONLY ones on this planet that have crappy jobs and take a lot of crap. YOU AREN'T THE ONLY ONES! Still no answer at the door,so I get back in my car and drive right into the back where only employees are allowed to go. I go up to the back door until I get an employee,and guess who I get? The guy that's supposed to be answering the door in the first place! He was outside talking on his phone. He apologized,which in this case,was his saving grace. Me in 101 degree heat in black clothing,wanting Christmas lights and not getting helped is the last thing you want barking at the back door. Is it just me or do postal employees have a major chip on their shoulders? Everytime I call them to ask a question pertaining to their particular office,they get all rude,like I've insulted their mother or something. I'm always polite and sometimes joke a little to loosen them up and maybe brighten their day. And it's the same attitude when you get there. If they don't like the job,they can always go stand in line at the unemployment office. I know plenty of people that would love to take their jobs. Sorry for the ranting and raving,but I know SOMEONE on here must understand this aggravation. :mad:

... Me in 101 degree heat in black clothing....

Being a goth is hard :P

Ok sorry. I don't know you well enough to joke like that, but it did make me laugh :giggle:.

Please don't kill me! I'll buy you a cup of coffee at Denny's :D.

I'm going to stop now.....

(Seriously: It's all in jest, if you're offended, I'll edit and remove it)

Mike -

I was thinking the same thing!

And I have $10 that says she will find it equally as funny when she reads it.

That dress/blouse looks mighty Victorian, and along with the braids, I think that makes her goth. Emo's don't have enough self respect to look that good.

I refuse to comment anymore until she has a chance to defend herself.:D

What I don't understand is why the postal workers would be crabby anyway. I would love to work for the post office. My uncle works there and seems to like it and the pay and benifits they get are better than just about any place you go.

Shaun

What I don't understand is why the postal workers would be crabby anyway. I would love to work for the post office. My uncle works there and seems to like it and the pay and benifits they get are better than just about any place you go.

Shaun

Then why do so many of them "go postal"?

It's the human condition. After a while a lot of us fail to appreciate what we have. You're right - he has benefits that almost unequalled. His pay is not bad either, with the government keeping his salary increasing in accordance with inflation - for the most part anyway. But when you come accustomed to it, you forget what you have, until your home on the couch... Of course, your dress does cause stereotyping to occur, but the USPS guy could also be working at 7-11 - at least then I might understand why he could be bitter...

Is it just me or do postal employees have a major chip on their shoulders? .....they get all rude,like I've insulted their mother or something..............If they don't like the job,they can always go stand in line at the unemployment office. I know plenty of people that would love to take their jobs.

Sorry for the ranting and raving,but I know SOMEONE on here must understand this aggravation. :mad:

Yes skarah I do understand. Can you imagine being married to one. I am. That's all they talk about is how much their jobs stink. And to top it all off it is Walmarts fault that their jobs only pay $50k a year. (don't ask me how)

I feel your pain. But it keeps me in lights.

Edited by BMcGeeny

Ok sorry. I don't know you well enough to joke like that, but it did make me laugh :giggle:.

I do have a sense of humor,but that did offend me. I don't see what my being goth has to do with being angry with the USPS.

That black clothing was my suit that I wear to the office. I have to deal with politicians and windbags all day. Morticians wear black too. So do limo drivers and even some cops. Go figure.

I don't know about that. Emo's hate being called Goths. :giggle:

Watch it,Chuck or you'll both be paying ME. I'm not Emo.

Watch it,Chuck or you'll both be paying ME. I'm not Emo.

Heh. We kid you because we love you. :)

(I knew you weren't Emo and I have my doubts as to you being Goth.)

That dress/blouse looks mighty Victorian, and along with the braids, I think that makes her goth. Emo's don't have enough self respect to look that good.

I refuse to comment anymore until she has a chance to defend herself.:D

That dress is something I wear out to clubs,not work. I don't wear my goth crap to work. It usually scares the politicians. And the braids are a hair piece that isn't permanent.

Then why do so many of them "go postal"?

I don't know,but they haven't gone postal in a while. Maybe it was the anthrax?

And to top it all off it is Walmarts fault that their jobs only pay $50k a year. (don't ask me how) /QUOTE]

That's an interesting theory...........

Heh. We kid you because we love you. :)

(I knew you weren't Emo and I have my doubts as to you being Goth.)

You sure you want to question my "gothness"?:giggle: I can post pics in an album for proof.................

Sorry, it was in good fun but I won't do it again.

I don't mean to be touchy,but I've heard the jokes since high school,so it gets a little old after a while. I'm 37 now.

Sorry, it was in good fun but I won't do it again.

Look at my goth pic album and you'll see what I looked like in high school. :giggle:

skarah1313 said "I don't know,but they haven't gone postal in a while. Maybe it was the anthrax? "

Skarah that was in very poor taste. A Postal worker in the Washington DC area lost his life.

I am married to a Postal Worker, a good man who knows he has a good job with good benifits and is thankful for it! Would you like to have to worry about packages going through your place of employment that could kill you and everyone you work with? I am sorry you had a bad experience but the same thing could have happend any where else. Not everyone in every business has a good work ethic.

Mira

skarah1313 said "I don't know,but they haven't gone postal in a while. Maybe it was the anthrax? "

Skarah that was in very poor taste. A Postal worker in the Washington DC area lost his life. I am married to a Postal Worker, a good man who knows he has a good job with good benifits and it thankful for it! Would you like to have to worry about packages going through your place of employment that could kill you and everyone you work with? I am sorry you had a bad experience but the same thing could have happend any where else. Not everyone in every business has a good work ethic.

Mira

Mira,I think you misunderstood my comment. I didn't mean it in whatever way you took it. I don't think anthrax is funny one bit,nor did I mean it in a threatening manner. I thought it coincendital that the incidences of work place violence kind of ceased after a while. Who knows why,but it was a thought. I wasn't trying to be tasteless.

Skarah that was in very poor taste. A Postal worker in the Washington DC area lost his life.

I am married to a Postal Worker, a good man who knows he has a good job with good benifits and is thankful for it! Would you like to have to worry about packages going through your place of employment that could kill you and everyone you work with? I am sorry you had a bad experience but the same thing could have happend any where else. Not everyone in every business has a good work ethic.

Mira

I'm sure your husband is a great person and works very hard. I'm not saying there aren't hard working people at the usps,but the majority of the ones I've dealt with have been rude for no reason to me and to others. I don't know why,but it is what it is. And just recently,my neighbors and I have had to deal with postal employees rifling through our mail to steal things. We've had the Post Master General in our region investigate several of them. I don't even have my mail sent to my house anymore. I have to have everything sent to my office now. There are some good people and bad people that work for any company. Tell your husband he should be proud he's one of the good ones,because there aren't too many of them going around.