Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
skarah1313

I hate USPS!

Look at my goth pic album and you'll see what I looked like in high school. :giggle:

Thankfully I can can look back at my electric blue liberty spikes, my tail that went down to my butt, the 4 holes in my ear, and all the makeup I wore and laugh about it.

Not everyone in every business has a good work ethic.

Mira

Trust me,I know. I work with politicians. I have to hold a banquet tomorrow for a mayoral candidate.

Thankfully I can can look back at my electric blue liberty spikes, my tail that went down to my butt, the 4 holes in my ear, and all the makeup I wore and laugh about it.

You had a TAIL? I did too,sadly. :P

I'm off to bed,folks. Got a long day tomorrow. If anyone feels like chewing me out based on misunderstandings or any chuckles at my expense,well.........I'll have to respond to you tomorrow. I thought I had a legitimate complaint and became a target instead which took away the whole basis of my thread post. Sorry if I'm a little grumpy,but I regret posting my thread thoughts at all.

I'm off to bed,folks. Got a long day tomorrow. If anyone feels like chewing me out based on misunderstandings or any chuckles at my expense,well.........I'll have to respond to you tomorrow. I thought I had a legitimate complaint and became a target instead which took away the whole basis of my thread post. Sorry if I'm a little grumpy,but I regret posting my thread thoughts at all.

What are you talking about?!? This is your best thread ever!

You started it all grumpy and (most) of us are just trying to cheer you up.

Don't take everything personally. :P

I don't mean to be touchy,but I've heard the jokes since high school,so it gets a little old after a while. I'm 37 now.

37 + Goth = Emo.

<Ducks and runs for cover> :giggle:

What are you talking about?!? This is your best thread ever!

You started it all grumpy and (most) of us are just trying to cheer you up.

Don't take everything personally. :P

I was starting to lighten up until I got chewed by one person about a misunderstanding........yeah,yeah,I know.........I'm a hypocrate. It's been one of those days.

Why would this be my best thread ever? Because I'm a loon? If you think this is good,you should see my blog on Myspace. :P

Why are you not on Facebook?

Why are you not on Facebook?

I started out on Live Journal,but then my friends wanted me to transfer over to Myspace. Now they want me to transfer to Facebook. I refused. One sleazy networking place is enough for me. I have my alter egos;good on here,well I try. And bad on Myspace,which is me mostly griping about stuff. I need an outlet somewhere.:rolleyes:

I started out on Live Journal,but then my friends wanted me to transfer over to Myspace. Now they want me to transfer to Facebook. I refused. One sleazy networking place is enough for me. I have my alter egos;good on here,well I try. And bad on Myspace,which is me mostly griping about stuff. I need an outlet somewhere.:rolleyes:

Facebook is a little cleaner than MySpace if you want a more "blog-like" environment and you can control access to your page a little better. You should try it for a while. There are a lot of PC'ers over there.

One sleazy networking place is enough for me. I have my alter egos;good on here,well I try. And bad on Myspace,which is me mostly griping about stuff. I need an outlet somewhere.:rolleyes:

Switch to facebook.....I heard Myspace is the new B--tycall. :)

This is a pretty funny thread!!!! Its kind of like watching a bunch of 3rd grade boys....they only beat on the girls they like.

Edited by ChrisL1976

It all depends on your location. There are several city post offices around here. I have found that the bigger the location, the higher the probability of getting the "look" and the "shoulder" from the clerks.

The most ridiculous policy I came across was having to sign your credit card to use it.

Here is my story: We were shipping several large parcels to an APO box. I want to pay with AMEX and have "Check ID" on the signature block.

The Postmaster in the office shows me the placard that says all cards have to be signed. I tell them that I do not sign it for security purposes. They don't care. I pull out my ID. Still no dice.

So I sign the back of my card there in the Post Office and we are in business.

Thinking that they took it because I showed them my ID first, during the next shipment I do the same process with them and whip out the MasterCard.

I show them the MasterCard that has "Check ID". They tell me that it has to be signed. So I sign it. They take the card without checking my ID.

Go figure. The USPS supports credit card fraud.

Between losing parcels, waiting 6 weeks for delivery or the ability to file a lost claim, I stay away from them as much as possible with the exception of being able to mail stuff across the country for under $1.

Gotta love that!

I show them the MasterCard that has "Check ID". They tell me that it has to be signed. So I sign it. They take the card without checking my ID.

I think you'll find if you read the fine print on your credit card agreement, your card must be signed to be valid. "Check ID" is not a valid signature unless your name happens to be "Check ID"

I think you'll find if you read the fine print on your credit card agreement, your card must be signed to be valid. "Check ID" is not a valid signature unless your name happens to be "Check ID"

I have to see the fine print before I can read it. (looking for the squinty eyed smilie but not seeing it) :121_reindeer:

anyway, my point is that I found a very small office that only houses a few hundred boxes. The PostMaster there is friendly and as long as I respect the hours, she goes above and beyond what is required to assist me.

I have not been back to the other larger office in years.

It all depends on your location. There are several city post offices around here. I have found that the bigger the location, the higher the probability of getting the "look" and the "shoulder" from the clerks.

The most ridiculous policy I came across was having to sign your credit card to use it.

Here is my story: We were shipping several large parcels to an APO box. I want to pay with AMEX and have "Check ID" on the signature block.

The Postmaster in the office shows me the placard that says all cards have to be signed. I tell them that I do not sign it for security purposes. They don't care. I pull out my ID. Still no dice.

So I sign the back of my card there in the Post Office and we are in business.

Thinking that they took it because I showed them my ID first, during the next shipment I do the same process with them and whip out the MasterCard.

Go figure. The USPS supports credit card fraud.

Between losing parcels, waiting 6 weeks for delivery or the ability to file a lost claim, I stay away from them as much as possible with the exception of being able to mail stuff across the country for under $1.

Gotta love that!

I always buy insurance on everything that goes through USPS. If a seller won't offer insurance,I won't buy what they're selling. And if I ship anything out with USPS,I'll pay for the insurance whether the buy wants it or not.

And if I ship anything out with USPS,I'll pay for the insurance whether the buy wants it or not.

I see you have dealt with the USPS before :giggle:

I see you have dealt with the USPS before :giggle:

Oh,have I. I still have a Christmas present that's been missing for three years. They let someone else sign for it and now it's gone. :mad: