Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
tyler9613

Pole with Cable Across Street???

Ok, I'm actually dreaming for a display for 2010, where I will have 4 houses animated with LOR. This is still a DREAM, so I don't know if it will actually happen or not. I don't think that my neighbors would mind, but I haven't asked yet.

So for my current question: What about two "mega-poles" on each side of the street, exactly parallel across from each other? Then, string a steel cable between the two mega poles across the street. Then, guy the opposite sides down to ensure safety.

We could hang stars on the cable and animate them. This could also be an alternative to buying wireless transmitters, and we could just string cat5 cable along the cable.

I know this may be something legal, or that we may be "liable". Is there any way to incorporate a pully system so that we could take it down when the show is not running (the show will only run on weekends...) so that people aren't afraid to drive or walk under it??

If that fails, I'll run a string of lights between two trees and use it the same way. It won't work as well (the trees aren't exactly parallel, it'd be diagnal).

Attached is a diagram...

Just ideas....

-Tyler:D

You see this all the time for municipal displays. I'm from the school of do it until someones says don't. (although, that's not always the best approach). Code in my area for electrical lines is 18' over a roadway, 15' for a driveway. Make sure they are high.

You see this all the time for municipal displays. I'm from the school of do it until someones says don't. (although, that's not always the best approach). Code in my area for electrical lines is 18' over a roadway, 15' for a driveway. Make sure they are high.

Thanks, I was planning for 20 feet on each side... keeping in mind that it will probably sag in the middle a little bit...

If the city turns me down, I can argue that the City Museum (a kiddy playhouse place in STL made out of recyled materials: http://www.citymuseum.org/home.asp) is held together with Steel Cable. Which it is. All of the outdoor stuff is suspended by steel cable (extremely thick) attached to the building, then attached to concrete pillar things on the ground... Sounds safe, huh? :giggle:

What diameter steel cable should I use??

-Tyler

Thanks, I was planning for 20 feet on each side... keeping in mind that it will probably sag in the middle a little bit...

If the city turns me down, I can argue that the City Museum (a kiddy playhouse place in STL made out of recyled materials: http://www.citymuseum.org/home.asp) is held together with Steel Cable. Which it is. All of the outdoor stuff is suspended by steel cable (extremely thick) attached to the building, then attached to concrete pillar things on the ground... Sounds safe, huh? :giggle:

-Tyler

I have no idea....The stupid answer would be "one that's large enough to hold the lights!" but that gets you nowhere.

Talk to your city. Like said above, many municipalities do the same thing. The only issue I could see is the liability since odds are you will be constructing these poles and such on city right-of-way. Make sure you check with your own insurance guy.

Having worked with municipalities before. ALWAYS going in with a idea and ask what you need to make this happen. I know too many people who have been snotty and gone in with a "This is what I'm going to do attitude" and got shot down on just that attitude.

As far as height......13-14' is pretty standard for interstate underpasses, so anything more than that should be fine.

-Tyler

You start arguing with them on stuff they have done, they will most likely just turn around and start asking you for plans for your setup designed by a structural engineer. :giggle: They may ask for those anyways.

like stated many stated, make sure they are high enough and you have that checked off. I dont think many people would be afraid to drive under it. If municipalities do it and people drive under it Also I know here that township roads have different standards then the PennDot roads (from Pennsylvania) so you may have to check your local state DOT office as well if your road is deemed a state route.

Having worked with city and county governments a great deal, if you can get them to look at this idea at all, they probably would ask you what you want to do and then tell you how to do it. They would start with a traffic engineer, a structural engineer, and electrical engineer, then move on to the impact process, anyone who is effected by this has a right to voice an opinion.

If you get all these agency's to agree to do it, they will either require they do it themselves or that who hire an approved contractor to do it up to the municiple specs. You will also be required to serve a bond, probably several million dollars, to cover any liability you might cause.

My guess would be if you are talking 2010 you better get moving. It took 4 years to get a strip mall permission to hang a 20' banner between two of their buildings, at a cost of $20,000. And thy owned the buildings. They finally had to get the city to vacate the street they wanted to hang over and accept full responsibility for snow removeal and street maint.

Good luck

But it is a really neat idea

I have had my snowball fight over the street for 2 years now.

It is supported by two trees not poles. However poles would work as well. You can check it out here. http://bazillionlights.com/Tech/LightsTechSnowballfight.html

My wiring slides across on carabiners like a shower curtain.

Yours could work the same.

Note....

If you looking for something straight across the street it won't happen. Power companies can't even do it:p

You can make something appear straight by doing something like I did with drop cords.

It may depend on where you live as much as anything else. If you live on a low traffic or dead end street, and get all the neighbors to agree, then no one should complain to the City/Township hall about it. If the area you live in is relatively unpopulated, chances are the local government won't even see it and won't care unless someone complains. If, however, you live in a city or larger town, all it takes is 1 wrong person to see it and start the ball rolling.

What's the worst they could do? Make you take it down I suppose, and maybe a couple hundred dollar fine if you broke any ordinances.

If it were me, and I met the small town and low traffic road criteria, I would do it without asking for permission. If you go through them legally, they will be required to make you submit engineered drawings, pull permits, get bonded licensed contractors, everything. It is a liability issue for them.

I know this is an old thread, but I can all but guarantee the city isn't going to sign off on this without an official sign-off by a professional engineer. On the other hand, depending on where you are, etc., they might look the other way if you just put it up.

I would just use a pair of ELL's and then not worry about it.

It's rather hard to suspend items over the road with ELL's (read the thread ;) )

At the entrance to my street two neighbors have a sign that says merry christmas across the street, HOWEVER, they used trees to suspend the lights, if this is available it may be much easier than constructing mega poles.