I was thinking of making a flying ghost for halloween like this one: http://www.haunteddriveway.com/flying_ghosts.html And then take the ghosts off for halloween and put up something for christmas that will by light and normally flies. I was thinking of a santa/reindeer but that may be too heavy. I was thinking of just reindeer but thought that would be too ugly or original... any ideas of what else could fly? Also here is a link for multiple different types of "flying ghosts" http://www.hauntproject.com/projdetail.asp?category=Axworthy%20Flying%20Ghost . What is your thoughts? PULLEY vs BICYCLE WHEEL RIM . Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated as always. Thanks in advance. NOTE: this would be attached to some maple and white birch trees.

I have also wanted to do this type of setup and I have started to "collect" bicycle wheels. I don't think I'll get to it this year but maybe next year. I actually want it to bly behind the house then back around the front. That way it disappears for a little while.

Weight is a real factor on this type of setup. The more weight the more the cable will sag. The more the cable sags the more misalignment the cable has in relation to the wheels guiding it. In my opinion most Christmas decorations are too heavy. You'd have to make something from scratch from foam or coroplast to make it light enough.

If you do a boom setup like my flying Santa/Ghost you can have electricity down to the end of the boom for lighting. This looks real good and can support much more weight.

http://www.bazillionlights.com/Tech/LightsTechFlyingSanta.html

Gary, first time I saw that link for your santa...AWESOME, is there anything you can't do with an idea? Keep the post coming, thanks.

P.s. You name was brought up a few time today at the Philly Mini, nothing but great praise on your ideas and work.

Thanks for the comment on Youtube. I think the comments dissing my Santa are some young kids trying to tell everyone it's not the Real Santa....;)

yeah well they were being dumb lol, i just say what i honestly think. oh yeah, i didnt lose sleep over them reading it and getting mad :)

"Gary, first time I saw that link for your santa...AWESOME, is there anything you can't do with an idea? Keep the post coming, thanks.

P.s. You name was brought up a few time today at the Philly Mini, nothing but great praise on your ideas and work. "

"Gary, just to double up on Chuck's post, enjoy you're input!! "

Thanks Guys! i appreciate the nice words!

• 1 month later...

ok got 4 free bicycle rims from a guy off craigslist today. I was nervous to get anything off craigslist but it seemed to be ok today. I would encourage others to use craigslist as well now that I have used it. I also got stuff at hobby lobby to make my ghosts for halloween and my angels for christmas. Engineering will begin tomorrow depending on weather. Dont want to be in trees with metal in a thunderstorm.

We're going to put black rope on the ski lift and attach some ghosts to it and see what it looks like. We've never set it up for Halloween, so it's going to have to fit into the graveyard. Might look OK...ghosts flying out of and back into the graveyard. Ski lift photos on our profile page and video on YouTube if you want some ideas. As I said, we don't know how it's going to look yet.

Just some ideas for less space than the Axworthy flying ghosts.

Good Luck,

Terry

ok so i got free bycycle rims, and a free bike with 12 more rims, i kept the chain and sprocket as well. 1 rim has sprockets on as well but it lockes when going in reverse like the pedals would make it. I am trying to figure out how to fix that. Also still looknig for a motor to power it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've looked into the plans for the flying qhosts at most of the halloween sites. It looks like you'll be fine if the weight of what your moving is very light. If however your moving something a little heavier your going to have issues getting the object to pass a pulley without either getting hung in the pulley or pulling the string downward and making it slip off the pulley.

Anyone come up with a way to solve the weight issue?

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking of making a flying ghost for halloween like this one: http://www.haunteddriveway.com/flying_ghosts.html And then take the ghosts off for halloween and put up something for christmas that will by light and normally flies. I was thinking of a santa/reindeer but that may be too heavy. I was thinking of just reindeer but thought that would be too ugly or original... any ideas of what else could fly?........

How about snowflakes or shooting stars for the Christmas show?

Brian

I use large bicycle wheels with small idler pulleys to guide the line. Some of my distances are quite far (about 60 feet) so the trick I found is to angle the wheel at a steep angle and use idler pulleys to push on the fishing line so it has to make a bit of a swoop up to go around the wheel. This way the weight of the object doesn't pull itself off the wheel as it comes up to it. The fishing line I use is 80# Dacron (about $5.00 per 100 yards) and is small and very strong. The clear stuff just stretches in the sunlight.

I ran out of time this year and did not put up my flying objects, but here is a YouTube of my flying bat (

) from a couple years ago where you can see some of the pulleys I made. You can see a little bit of how the bat approaches the wheel and when it gets to the pulley it makes a bit of a hop upwards then goes around the wheel. Another trick I found is to hang the object down a bit...not attch it right to the line, bit down about 6 inches or so. And for the ghosts, when it hangs from the head I put another line from its back a little farther back on the line to keep it going forward.

I sketched what my pulleys look like below.

post-4672-129571161948_thumb.jpg