Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
FandomFilms

Wiring Up an LOR Controller to a Socket

I have a question maybe someone can help me with. The attached pictures are ones I pulled from the forums here and I was looking to create something simular to use for a spot in my display. I understand how to set-up the controller and run the wires to the various spots. What I'm not sure about is hooking the wires to the outlets and what's the best way to ground the wires.

Any instruction would be most welcome and appriciated.

post-104-129571137378_thumb.jpg

post-104-129571137388_thumb.jpg

I connect the Hot wires to the Hot terminals on the controller and to the gold (hot) screw on the outlet. Then Neutral wires to the Neutral terminals on the controller and to the silver screw on the outlet. If you break off the tab between each gold screw and silver screw you can have 2 isolated receptacles on each duplex.

The ground wires I run one from each duplex and then attach them all together with the incoming ground. I do this on a screw run through my steel enclosure to ground the enclosure itself.

Did I explain it clear enough?

Edit: I use wire labels on all my hot wires to tell one from another. I don't on the grounds and Neutrals, although I do mark my neutrals for one bank or the other.

Edited by Toymakr000

The third picture that you have is mine. I didn't have any grounds in there last year but will be changing that this year. I will be running a ground to each of the quad boxes and I was told by an electrician that it would be fine that way especailly since everything that we run doesn't have a ground anyhow.

i would hook the grounds together anywhere that is anchored down. like a bolt through the wood.

If you leave them bouncing around the box they could short out and turn your wood box to charcoal....:eek:

i would hook the grounds together anywhere that is anchored down. like a bolt through the wood.

If you leave them bouncing around the box they could short out and turn your wood box to charcoal....:eek:

Good point, that is what i forgot to mention, one thing to do is to take all the grounds and put a terminal connector around them and then hook them to the heat sink so that the outlets are grounded and then the lor board is also grounded.

rangebob

How do you keep your controllers from getting wet? Do you have any additional pics of the boxes?

(sorry to hijack)

If you are using a wood or plastic enclosure with 3 wire cords you can attach all the grounds together with the ground from the input cord. (I also run a ground to the mount on the heat sink also.)

If your using a metal enclosure you can attach all the grounds to the enclosure. If you want something permanant you can go with a heavy duty enclosure.

post-4496-129571137402_thumb.jpg

post-4496-129571137412_thumb.jpg

post-4496-12957113742_thumb.jpg

They run out under the garage door. Just shy of 360 SPT cords makes a pretty thick bundle, so the garage door doesn't shut all the way.

For next season Im going to use the 4 controller boxes in the yard for the new displays. Should cut down on about 2000' of additional cord.

Scott

"impressive set-up. How do you get the cords into the garage? "

How did he get that much room in his garage:p

I hardly have room to walk let alone room for a computer and all the controllers/plugs

As an electrician I am seeing a few things. First, unless you have a device that has a 3 prong plug on it, why are you all messing around with grounds? What good is the ground? Unless you mount the controller in a metal box.

I am not really fond of the wooden box idea. Can anyone say fire hazard? Esp. if you do not mount the control boards on tall stand offs of at least .5". Remember wood can hold moisture. And moisture conducts electricity. Which can cause a carbon track, which conducts even more. At an apartment complex a few years ago. A workman ran a nail through some wood on the outside of the building. And it pierced a run of romax. After a hard rain sometime later some current began to flow through the wood to something that was grounded. This eventually caused the wood to heat up and catch on fire. I just do not like a wooden box with bare circuits in near proximity.

Max