EDM LCD RDS transmitter info and poll

For thode interested in an EDM RDS transmitter, specify your preference  

50 members have voted

1. 1. For thode interested in an EDM RDS transmitter, specify your preference

• Interested in transmitter at full retail price with no group buy hassles or delays
    • Would like to buy the transmitter in a group buy at 10% off plus regular shipping costs
    • Would like to use the EDM one-time PCB upgrade option and can do the case mod and RDS chip on my own
    • Am happy staying with what I have.

Just a brief announcement and a poll for everyone.

(1) The EDM LCD with RDS is now available from EDM on their website:

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html -- see part # EDM-LCD-RDS-EP for

$235 shipped

(2) EDM may offer a one-time only ... PCB upgrade option, which means you swap out your old PCB board (the part inside the case) for a new PCB board ... and they would return a new PCB w/RDS capabilites (but no RDS chip) to you along with the necessary USB to transmitter cable ... for around $150 . You would have to do a minor case mod (not for everyone, as it requires snipping a hole for the USB port) and also buying the Pira RDS chip ... another $20 ... but could be purchased in a group buy for less. So existing owners could upgrade for around $170 ... but you have to do the case mod and but the RDS chip on your own (or in a group buy).

(3) There might be a group buy, if enough persons are interested ... and that woudl typically be item (1) above, for 10% off the retail price and regular shipping costs added. So 220-22 (10% off) would be $198 + $15 shipping, or $213 total.

(4) Ok, how about those interested in purchasing a non-RDS EDM LCD in a group buy also post a message here indicating that at your preference. That would be $162 (10% off priced) + 15 shipping, or $177 total.

Typically the group buy conditions require a sale of a certain number of units and pre-payment ... then when the required number of transmitters are pre-purchased ... then they all ship out together ... and everyone saves. There is usually a 30 day delay in a group buy, about double the normal shipping time from EDM.

Scott

Edited by taybrynn

I think you missed a .html in your link: http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

I wonder if more people would be interested in a non-RDS group buy. I really don't know if I would even bother to program it (RDS) if I had it for free...

And just thinking out loud for current EDM non-RDS owners: $170 for an upgrade seems (expensive?)... For someone who absolutely wanted to upgrade to this, it may make more sense to sell off your old unit here to a PC user and just purchase the new one for yourself - seems like it could be a win-win, saving both ends a bundle of money.

I think you missed a .html in your link: http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

I wonder if more people would be interested in a non-RDS group buy. I really don't know if I would even bother to program it (RDS) if I had it for free...

And just thinking out loud for current EDM non-RDS owners: $170 for an upgrade seems (expensive?)... For someone who absolutely wanted to upgrade to this, it may make more sense to sell off your old unit here to a PC user and just purchase the new one for yourself - seems like it could be a win-win, saving both ends a bundle of money.

Just what I did. Dad is interested in mine, so I get to upgrade.

Brian

(4) Ok, how about those interested in purchasing a non-RDS EDM LCD in a group buy also post a message here indicating that at your preference. That would be $162 (10% off priced) + 15 shipping, or $177 total.

Scott

I am for sure interested in one of the EDM transmitters (group buy). Haven't decided if I "need" RDS yet, so I will express interest in the non-RDS model if that is an option for the group buy.

Am I correct that LOR software supports RDS via a DOS shell command? Therefore, if using a LOR Mini-Director (mDM-MP3) then RDS transmission isn't an option, correct?

OK, you guys have convinced me then. I've got a "EDM-TX-LCD-EP" model that I bought new last year. I tested it for about 4 hours and it works fine, but I never actually put in into service - it served as my backup transmitter. It is in immaculate condition.

I must admit, the EDM is a great sounding transmitter for the price, way better than my two previous Ramsey 25B and 30B units. I still have a 25B I would also be willing to sell off, BTW.

I do want the RDS-upgraded EDM unit, so I'll open up the bidding process. PM me if you are interested. I will consider all offers over $150 plus $10 for shipping to anywhere in the U.S. I will acknowledge all PMs in the order they were received, and I will stop taking bids at 11:00 PM CT on August 5th. I do reserve the right NOT to sell the unit without the need to provide any reason (legal disclaimer).

Let's see how this goes.

Fabian

Hmmmm, $12.00 less than new in a group buy and no warranty on used, plus a potential bidding war. Thanks, but I think I'll wait for the LCD group buy.

That's cool. It was my intent to avoid competing with Scott's potential group buy. He works hard on those.

I figured someone might want one right away, and in that case it's a good deal for an almost-new unit that was never really installed or used beyond the test bench.

I don't NEED to sell it (I might decide to install it in my car some day). If it helps, I'll even throw in a 1 year warranty. I'll even add an RCA to SO-239 adapter for those that use UHF connectors for their coax.

Fabian

Edited by GordonLights
Added the RCA-to-UHF connector to the offer.

Currently, I'm just checking on the level of interest from folks.

So far, it looks like a group buy on the regular EDM LCD is the most likely.

Perhaps we can get one of each type set up ...

Scott / taybrynn

Scott, I am interested in the RDS unit if you can pull off 2 buys.

Like Fabian, I too have a little used "EDM-TX-LCD-EP" (even less than 4 hours) that I would be willing to part with so that I can upgrade. Not to compete with Scott's Group buy as well, if someone wants to play with one right away. PM me if interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any update on the group sale for the EDM transmitters? I have been waiting most of the year for such a group sale, but it is getting closer to November set-up and I'm starting to get concerned about it shipping in time if wait much longer to order (as I am sure quite a few others are as well). Please let us know either way.