This is my favorite rib roast recipe for Christmas Eve Dinner. I started this tradition 2 years ago and my family and friends love it. They can't believe how easy it is but it looks impressive..

Standing Rib Roast

1 (5-pound) standing rib roast

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

5 to 8 garlic cloves

Olive oil

Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Make small slits evenly over roast and add garlic cloves into slits. Rub roast with olive oil. Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder together and rub mixture all over roast; place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve. I cook it until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.

This is my favorite rib roast recipe for Christmas Eve Dinner. I started this tradition 2 years ago and my family and friends love it. They can't believe how easy it is but it looks impressive..

Standing Rib Roast

1 (5-pound) standing rib roast

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

5 to 8 garlic cloves

Olive oil

Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Make small slits evenly over roast and add garlic cloves into slits. Rub roast with olive oil. Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder together and rub mixture all over roast; place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve. I cook it until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.

Buy yourself some Lipton Onion Soup mix. Sprinkle that on the rib roast with some fresh ground pepper - nothing more simple and um, um good!

• 4 months later...

If you cook it until 165 degrees you have probably overcooked a good piece of meat. 125-130 is all you need and then let the roast rest. It will continue to cook even after you take it from the oven. Try cranking that oven up to 500 degrees for 25-30 minutes and then cut the temp back to 225 and cook it the rest of the way. This high heat seals in the outside of the roast and wil make for a juicy piece of meat.

• 2 weeks later...