LED Holiday Lighting Order Status?

The "S" number is the biggest one on the tag, so I refer to it as to identify what type of string I'm referring to... primarily because the S-2133 sets do not have an "E" number at all. The other number on the tag is an "L" number which is not valid. No "E" number equals having no clue who made them, and an improper use of the UL tag.

The real Holiday Creations sets do have an "E" number (its on the white tag), but the S-2133 sets do not have any such number. As noted, they also lack the lead warning.

The S-2133 sets have QC issues such as exposed raw parts of wires, melted rectifiers, burnt out LEDs, cracked rectifiers, parts exposed through the plastic of rectifiers and bulb bases, and test on my equipment to be a half wave design and, as discovered today, put rectified DC out the female plug instead of AC. The proper Holiday Creations sets do not suffer from any of these issues.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, those pictures show a WHITE tag ! What a rarity, none in the shipments I got! I also tried searching UL using the numbers on the few strands I received that even had a label. Nothing.

Just an expensive lesson I learned trying to deal with this vendor. I'll just junk the 106 strings I received, they weren't what I ordered anyway.

Michael-- thanks for the clarification. fortunately, all the LED's I received were the "good" ones as pictured on top. So I think I lucked out :) Good luck to everyone who's still having issues, I do hope you get this resolved soon.

I thought the lower lights pictures were those ordered from CDI. As I understand Travis had to do that to fill all of the orders. I'm not sure if 1)those are actually lights that CDI carries or 2) if Travis ever ordered lights from CDI at all. I do have over 150 strings of those pictured at the bottom (100ct strings).

The big difference between the two strings is the Holiday Creation's wire casing is significantly heavier and the Holiday Creation's crystals are a little larger (width and height) thereby causing a nicer overall illumination.

Michael - I must ask, what caused you to look for AC or DC at the female plug end?

Edited by B_Regal78

wow this is concerning - I am wondering if it is ALL of the sets or just certain peoples with the problems - i too have sets that have the s-2133 in addition i have some with s-4992 but mine are 70 count m5 on white wires...is there an easy way to tell if mine are the problematic ones? on the ones that are s-4992 i only have 1 set of 70 per channel ....but on the other type I have between 5 and 10 strings per channel (and on these they all seem to work together fine (when the male end is plugged into the femal end)) - any advice - I hatge to put more on travis but also dont want to burn my house down...btw - i know next to nothing about electricity except how to shock myself...lol

To clear up confusion, a proper Holiday Creations set (the good ones) looks like this:

hc_resized.jpg

An improper "S-2133" set (with the problems) looks like this:

nothc_resized.jpg

Some people got the good ones, some got the bad. I got a combination of the good and the bad.

Ok I am not defending Travis here as I had a few issues that we worked out quietly as good business men, and I do understand everyones frusteration as I work customer service issues daily myself. But Make sure you have correct facts before adding more kindling to the fire please...

Did you run the codes from the top string?? You will see its is not from Diogen aka Holiday Creations.

The top string you show comes from here,

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showpost.php?p=381367&postcount=287

Thanks to TimF who correctly identified the product. This same product is sold by many other vendors we on PC deal with as well, and is a very good quality product. In fact I attended a conference at a Sheraton the other day where there was at least several hundred of these strings wrapping the Palm trees ( red/blue/green and white G15 strings on close to 30 Palms, and I wrote down the UL tag codes while I was there to see if they matched mine). If you got these strings I feel postitive you do have a top notch product you will be very happy with. (I have close to 100 of these strings myself, about half came from Travis, and the other half came from another vendor so I could make my Megatrees as 4 colors this year, and so far so good no defectives)

This is a Diogen/Holiday Creations FWR (warm white that was on my fan I purchased from Travis in spring 2008) string from previous years. But with that said, Diogen may have changed the shape of the rectifier blob design, so you cannot totally go by that as a visual confirmaton. Why would they? Easy, to identify year of manufactuer.

DSC00935.JPG

I have a feeling the issue everyone is seeing (s-2133 strings) in the female plug may be one of the AC by pass feeds got reversed in the female end rectifier blob...This would be sending a high voltage DC to the female plug, which is still incorrect, and is a QC issue, (which hopefully may be just in a small portion of the production run).

I myself have several of of the s-2133 strings from Travis this year. In fact an exact number is 32 m5's and 72 5mm concaves. All are working great with LOR as you can see in this video below which is all 5mm concaves. The only issue I had with the strings were a)one or 2 individual LEDS were "twinkling", but after them being plugged in for a minute they stayed on steady.

B) had one LED that didn't have a casing around it, other than that they seem to be doing fine and so far I am pleased with the product.

I have about a dozen spares left over as I mis-calculated what I needed for this year, I will plug them ALL end to end, while mixing in other strings (spares) I have in end to end and post a photo and the results later today.

I am working on the S-2133 UL code myself just for SNG's. Once I find something I will gladly provide the information. Honestly I think its a moot point..

William

Edited by mnkyboy

For what it's worth, the LED's I have that look like the one's in Michaels first pic (the so-called "good" ones) look in all ways identical to the ones I purchased in 2007 from Paul-- including the rectifier blobs, light style, etc. Not sure if that means they're identical or not -- if I get a free moment I'll see if I can find an UL# on the 2007 led's.

My 2009 pre-order strings look, for the most part, like the "2nd" picture above. However, about three weeks ago, I needed some additional warm white strings and ordered those from Travis at retail. They arrived in those blue boxes pictured above. But all of my pre-sale lights came without individual boxes....

E305455 dated 08 of 2006 CDI (# from white tag) (R3156 on UL tag) look identical to 2007 and 2008 diogen strings.. Which all look like Michaels first picture of the "good" strings.

Jim

E305455 come up as:

Number of hits: 1 The maximum number of hits returned is 5000.

You may choose to Refine Your Search.

Company Name

Category Name

Link to File

JINJIANG WONDERFUL PHOTOVOLTAIC

LIGHTING CO LTD

Strings, Decorative Lighting

DGZZ.E305455

First thanks Micheal for the photos. I would have never known the difference. This is my first year with LEDs and dont know the difference. I have some of the better type as shown in the upper photo. And I have more of the type like shown in the lower picture. Besides the size and wiring difference of the two sets. I see that the better set also have a wire wart in the middle of the strings. Oh well, grandfather had an old saying. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

As promised... sorry for the large photo size just wanted to make sure it was clear.

I will refer them to Photo 1, Photo 2 ( that Michael Miller posted) and Photo 3 ( that I posted)

Start from top right and work back in a "S" shape.. The are ALL plugged end to end.

DSC00937.JPG

top row (right to left)

1 PW m5 -Photo 2

1 PW 5mm concave-Photo 2

6 Blue 5mm concave -Photo 2

row 2 ( left to right)

4 Green 5mm Concave- Photo 2

3 red 5mm concave-Photo2

Row 3

3 red M5-Photo 1

3 green M5- Photo 1

Row 4

8 WW M5- Photo 3

I think this test debunks the " Product A ( photo 2 product) won't work with the Product B issue from another thread. That issue has to be a QC issue and isolated to a small group of particular strings....

As you can see from just my spares, I have products from multiple vendors here on PC and also Big box stores mixed in my display.

From already having my display up and each segment fully tested, these are still ALL quality products that I know "our PC vendors" have stood behind in the past and will in the future. I honestly do not think that you have to worry about the "overall" quality of any of the products above no matter who actually manufactured it. I'm not worried... I know Travis has always stood behind his products ( as well as Paul also).

Even though Travis has had issues this year, we should be thankful we have such great Vendors that share excellent products and pricing with us that they use with their commercial accounts..

Edited by mnkyboy

I was working on my lights and noticed something I thought was unusual, I have some White Wire 100 Count Full Wave Icicles from Travis and they were plugged in working fine and out of convenience I plugged a set of 70 Count Walmart 5mm which are I think Half Wave into the end of the icicles and only half of the 5mm worked but when I plugged them into a regular outlet they worked fine. What would cause this? Plugging a half wave strand into a full wave strand, or is it something else? I had not read this thread since I received my lights and I was surprised at all the posts. Does this mean something is wrong with my lights or is it operator error?

I thought the lower lights pictures were those ordered from CDI. As I understand Travis had to do that to fill all of the orders.

The shipper ID (6 digits following the 1Z) from the tracking labels says that my lights came from two places. 3 of the boxes (with the bad product) came from Seasonal Impressions. One box (with the good product) came from Reinders. So, in my case, part of my order was actually filled by Reinders.

Michael - I must ask, what caused you to look for AC or DC at the female plug end?

Someone mentioned the end-to-end issue with these and 2008 CDI strings to me on the Aurora forum. Having knowledge of the voltage ladder design of the 08 CDI strands (I went through that too), the most obvious answer was DC coming out of the female end. It took all of 30 seconds to confirm my hypothesis.

E305455 come up as:

Number of hits: 1 The maximum number of hits returned is 5000.

You may choose to Refine Your Search.

Company Name

Category Name

Link to File

JINJIANG WONDERFUL PHOTOVOLTAIC

LIGHTING CO LTD

Strings, Decorative Lighting

DGZZ.E305455

Someone will need to check the tags on previous years or contact Holiday Creations to double check me on this, but if I remember correctly JinJiang is the China contractor that makes the sets for Holiday Creations. I know my E305455 sets came in bags with valid Holiday Creations paperwork, 3 year guarantee, are of very high quality, and look/behave exactly like Holiday Creations sets.

The S-2133 sets on the other hand...

I'm glad some of y'all have them working, but given the experience here, I believe you are in the minority. Personally, I found them unsafe and they were not what I ordered (I was very specific with Travis when I ordered that only Holiday Creations LEDs would be acceptable). Fortunately, Travis is refunding my order appropriately, so I'm not going to write the vendor off entirely.

So how can I check my lights to see if they are producing AC or DC?

The best/proper way is with an oscilloscope, but if you don't have one and are electronics savvy, you could make a simple apparatus to test this specific condition:

A single C7/C9 with a diode wired into series with it should make an adequate test. If it only lights when plugged in one direction, then it is DC. If it lights both ways (albeit a little dimmer), then it is AC. If you are not sure what I just said, then don't try it.