Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Toymakr000

Cell phones and kids.....

Luddite.

I've had a cell phone for over 20 years.

Me too. First phone was a 'portable' meaning I could take it out of the trunk and hook up a 6lb battery and carry the thing around like a suitcase. Hey, that was cutting edge!! Cell phones were only car phones then. We all had pagers back then.

Me too. First phone was a 'portable' meaning I could take it out of the trunk and hook up a 6lb battery and carry the thing around like a suitcase. Hey, that was cutting edge!! Cell phones were only car phones then. We all had pagers back then.

I had a Motorola "brick" in the late 80's. That was a real cell phone, not a mobile.

I have never had/used a pager.

I'm not opposed to technology; however, I do not necessarily believe every 10yr old kid needs one (with a $50 monthly billl to boot). When 50yr people talk of getting a cell phone 20 years ago, they were 30; again, not 10. Until my kid can demonstrate responsibility (which is fairly hard to do at 10), he will probably not have one of his own for a while yet.

Edited by B_Regal78

I'm 16, going on 17 (on the 1st) and I don't have a phone.

My dad had a Nextel brick for a while (5-6 yrs ago) and then 2 years ago we switched to a family plan for my dad, mom, grandma and my oldest brother (graduating high school). Now, we just included my 2nd older brother, as he leaves for college (5 phones on the plan..T-mobile's max).

I get the short end of the deal...I pretty much can't get a phone unless I get a) a pay as you go or B) a new plan.

I've never really "NEEDED" a phone...when I run out, I borrow my mom's, or sometimes I take it to school if I have after-school activities. At school, I borrow other kids as needed. None of my other 4 siblings have phones, but a lot of their friends do. My brother in 4th grade says some kids have phones. Absolutely ridiculous. I think kids should get phones when they can drive independently and are in high school.

Most bookies had cell phones way back in the 80s

We got our son a cell phone when he was 8. Not because his friends had one (none of them did) but for safety and convenience. He had it to take to soccer practice or over to a friends house or on bike rides. We knew that he could always get in touch with us no matter what. Now that he's 12 he has it when him and his buddies go fishing or when he rides his bike to the grocery store. Its great peace of mind.

Now, at 12 and in 7th grade, most of his friends do have one. His friends do call each other and text back and forth but its really pretty minimal. And he knows that the phone, just like is computer, etc., are subject to parental review at any time. That being said, if you don't have a plan with a good number of minutes, insurance on the phone, and unlimited texting, you are just setting yourself up for trouble. It really depends on how responsible the child is, though, my wife claims that our 12 year old is more responsible than I am most of the time.

As a member of Law Enforcement, I tell people to have their phone with them at all times. From time to time women out for a walk (or jog) call our department and report men that either followed them or displayed things to them (and that

Middle school for both mine. I also got the oldest one his first- to know where he was going, events, etc, etc. As they get older they go places with other friends/parents and it gave us piece of mind. We've been lucky- only one has gone over on minutes- once- never again when the phone was taken away for a week. Definetly get the unlimited texting. Both mine even take them to school- keep them out of sight - and have used them to let me know when the school bus has BROKEN DOWN and I was frantic- so yes, peace of mind with them having cell phones is wonderful. Never lost one yet- they know they will buy the next one with their money.

Second, update your contact list with the following--HOME, WORK, and/or ICE. As an officer I have come in contact with people that are unconscious or having a medical emergency, and being able to use their phone to make contact with someone at either their home or work that may be able to provide me with a medical history or medication list is so important. If I have to take the time to give dispatch the person

Daughter is 10 and has a cell phone. Of course she was travelling back and forth to school 40 miles each way oon backroads with her grandma taking her and grandma doesnt have a cell. Since we don't have a home phone either just made sense 4 her 2 have her own. She has been very responsible and am proud of her.

I actually bought my first one myself... during the summer before starting high school

Young kids don't need cell phones. Plus, it's better for everyone to buy their own than get one from their parents. That way everybody is much more conscious about footing the bill and not over running the maximum amount of minutes.

It's the same way that getting a car should be dealt with, everybody should buy one on their own. Cars should not be dealt as gifts. If college students are able to buy a car, fix it themselves or afford a mechanic, foot all the tickets and afford gas and insurance then that is when they should buy a car.

Edited by soks

Buy him one of those disney phones with the GPS tracking. You can log in online and see where he "AKA the phone" is located at.

He, show hi this one...... If he wants a phone, tell him you'll get him that one.

10944677.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

Edited by ChrisL1976

I got my first 'real' cell phone in 8th grade. I had a prepaid in 7th grade.

My rules are as follows...

-No using at inappropriate times

-Watch the # of minutes used

-They pay the 10$ for service, beyond that you pay (texting plan, etc.)

-All other services are blocked, internet, downloads, etc.

I now have the env2 and am in 10th.

i got my first phone in 7th grade

my rules were:

1. no use at school unless you are told you can (tornadoes, school closing etc)

2. If you get it taken up then they can keep it for a while

3. if YOU go over your minutes then you will pay the bill

4. If you lose it you will buy your next phone.

Another option: most kids just text now you can disable calling on the phone and have it for only texting for a fee..my friends 3rd grader's phone is that way.

another rule at first was no cell phone use at dinner time..However, now, my parents and I all have blackberrys and we all have them sitting on the table at dinner lol.

I got my 9 year old a cell phone last year for safety reasons. She was told that she can use it for emergency calls only, unless she asks permission to make personal calls. She's had it for a year now and has obeyed the rules.

ICE (In Case of Emergency), is a universal listing that police, fire, and medical personnel look for in your contacts. You can even list them in order of who you want contacted first. If you want your spouse contacted first, you can use ICE 1, your oldest child could be ICE 2, and so on.

If someone was to pickup my phone a found ICE numbers, they'd call Terry Powers, Joshua Shumaker, etc. (as in Indiana Christmas Enthusiasts)

j/k it's a good idea if LE actually looks at it.

As far as phone for kids. I've told my daughter that she will not get one until High School (she's in 5th now) Then it WILL have GPS tracking on the phone and the car ;)

I was 15 and Had to buy my own and pay my own bill. My parents then gave my brother one when he was 17. I think middle school is a little early to have one, especially since they are not allowed in schools.

Wow I figured the cell phone companies had a limit on how many times you could do that. My friends son went to Haiti and lost his phone, I told her she better cancel it quick before some Haitian texted 90999 several thousand times.

Our foster daughters graduated high school in 2000. Neither one had a phone at that time. But amazingly, both survived.

My 2nd grader feels he needs one because his friends have them, not gonna happen. I feel when my kids start to drive then we'll talk cell phone. Everyone has their reason to give their kid one or not to. Funny thing growing up in the 80's (when cell phones were in bags) my parents always knew where I was and we were way too poor to afford any cell phone. I was responsible enough to call home from wherever I was (or got my back side warmed). As a middle school teacher and seeing how the kids use them (dirty photos of themselves and all) I know better.

I just don't see why a kid needs a phone. After my sister's daughter rung up a huge bill (about $700) calling a boy long distance she too rethought the phone.