I use 1 1/4 " Schedule 40. The key (IMO) is to buy the 20' sticks and not try to put 2 10' sections together. I slip the pipes over rebar that I drive into the ground about 6"-9". 1 1/2" is pretty tough to bend, so beware.

My driveway is 16' wide. Therefore, I have actually added a 3' section to each side of my 20' stick to make the total length equal 26'. It's about 7 feet tall or so in the middle so I can still drive my car into the garage.

I set up 4 over my driveway. They are two colors (white/red). The white is 8 channels and so I can do the "leaping" affect as well.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the arch and how I store them and you can see more on my website. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Brian

Brian,

First off they look GREAT! Second do you get much sway with them? Do you have much wind? I'm just starting out with all this stuff, and looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Thanks!

-jim

Brian,

First off they look GREAT! Second do you get much sway with them? Do you have much wind? I'm just starting out with all this stuff, and looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Thanks!

-jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the compliment. I do get some wind from time to time and they do pretty good. That 1 1/4" pvc is pretty sturdy. Just to be safe though, I wrap "tie" them all together with fishing line. I secure the line to the first arch closest to the street and then take the line and go to the next arch, wrap the line around it a few times, and so on so on to the last arch. From the last arch, i take the line, up to the eve of my roof and tie it to an eye hook I screwed in. That way, all 4 arches are tied together and they are anchored to the house. I hope that made sense.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Brian

I built 7 driveway arches last year spanning about 24'. I used the 1 1/2 inch grey plastic conduit pipe. I used 6' heavy duty T-posts driven about 2 1/2 feet into the ground and slightly angled towards the driveway to put the posts over. I did not use any guy wires. Now, I live out in the country with not a lot of windbreak around my house. While the arch's were up we had steady 60 mph winds for a straight 24 hours. The wind had the tops of the arch's dancing pretty good, but none fell or were damaged.

Sarge74

I use 1 1/2 grey pvc with led rope light which is kinda heavy. I drive stakes into the ground and slip it right over. I decided to hold arch to arch i used christmas light shows snap on tees and white pvc to go arch to arch. In the pic you can see what i mean with the cross pieces. These have made it through 50+ mph winds!!!!!

post-3061-129571159717_thumb.jpg

I use 1 1/2 grey pvc with led rope light which is kinda heavy. I drive stakes into the ground and slip it right over. I decided to hold arch to arch i used christmas light shows snap on tees and white pvc to go arch to arch. In the pic you can see what i mean with the cross pieces. These have made it through 50+ mph winds!!!!!

Wow! Your arches are great! (So are your candy canes and trees). On my screen, I don't see the arch-to-arch braces, but they seem like a good idea.

Thanks i wanted to do something different they are super bright. The arches and the mega tree is what attracted many people as they were passing my block. Many people i have asked how did u find us and they said "we were passing your block and happened to see a burst of light and had to turn around to check it out". The rope light was much easier to work with then countless sets of minis. Its a definite 2 person job setting them up due to the weight but once there set they dont budge. Well atleast not in 2 seasons hope i didnt put the hex on myself. lolololololol

The arches get vaseline before being put together because sometimes its hard to get them apart. But the vaseline also makes it easy for them to slip apart so I actually use a screw to hold them together so take down is nice and easy!!!!!!!!!!!! They have with stood 50+ winds no problem.......