driveway arches?

Jdwagner888

hey guys. did some searching and couldnt find it but for those of you who made the kind of arches that go over your driveway (not leaping arches) but sequential arches so i can sweep out or in from the driveway with color.

what is the sturdiest / best looking materiel to use. i know PVC but what did you guys use? i would be able to guy-wire each one to the next and finaly to a shed on the side of the house.

Last year I used regular PVC that you find in the plumbing section of Lowes. It held up all season until someone hit it with their vehicle. I had guy wires attached to trees for support. Yesterday I spent $100 on PVC. I am doing four archs out of 3/4" PVC all connected together with joints and 3/4" PVC. 1/2" PVC inside the archs for added stability.

RIchard where did you get those globes and what size are they? I am changing my arches to make it easier to drive under. They will be similar to yors except come to a point in the middle.

JD as for you arches. If you are planning on making circular arches than electrical PVC might be best. I would go with at least 1 1/4 inch or bigger. I have had arches over my drive the last 2 years and use 1 1/2" PVC. If you get PVC make certain you get the couplings taht are longer (not the short ones). If you get e short ones they were surely crack. I never used wires or anything. I just pounded some 1" posts in the round and slid my arhces over them. They were a nice snug fit and had very little sway even in high winds.

My picture isn't the best but yoy can see what my arches look like.

I bought the ten dollar lights at Home Depot, the ones you would put in a closet of hallway ceiling.

RIchard where did you get those globes and what size are they? I am changing my arches to make it easier to drive under. They will be similar to yors except come to a point in the middle.

JD as for you arches. If you are planning on making circular arches than electrical PVC might be best. I would go with at least 1 1/4 inch or bigger. I have had arches over my drive the last 2 years and use 1 1/2" PVC. If you get PVC make certain you get the couplings taht are longer (not the short ones). If you get e short ones they were surely crack. I never used wires or anything. I just pounded some 1" posts in the round and slid my arhces over them. They were a nice snug fit and had very little sway even in high winds.

My picture isn't the best but yoy can see what my arches look like.

I tried 1" gray and it was too flexible. I love your archs bowenrichard! I have already started building my archs for this season and its too late to start over. I was wondering if you had plans that you could post so I could make your archs. With how high mine have to so I can get my truck under then and the way the driveway gets wider closer to the house that would be the best.

its been three years almost. I used 1" gray pvc and I think the arches were 30'. I drilled a hole in the north pole and stuck a piece of rebar in it at an angle at an angle and simply put the pvc over it. I zip tied the two intersecting arches together in the middle.

I tried 1" gray and it was too flexible. I love your archs bowenrichard! I have already started building my archs for this season and its too late to start over. I was wondering if you had plans that you could post so I could make your archs. With how high mine have to so I can get my truck under then and the way the driveway gets wider closer to the house that would be the best.

I use 2 " PVC pipe but not technically in an arch shape ... more like a large "M" but extended out a bit. Two 10' sections, over the driveway, covers my two-vehicle space with the support pole in the middle. The only problem is keeping the kids from backing out of the driveway with their car doors open (DUH!)

I use emt conduit, cut into spikes to secure the PVC. Nothing else, no tie downs, etc. By using 1" EMT pipe it will provide enough support to keep the arches up thru-out the holidays

I use 1 1/4 inch grey electrical pvc (they have flared ends on one side so you can slip another piece into it). I have about 4 feet of rebar on each side of the driveway which is pounded 2 feet or more into the ground. The PVC slips over each piece of rebar. The arch is tied first to the house. Then each arch is tied separately to each other. Each arch is then secured on each side by tied downs (used for dogs) to secure each arch. No problems here. Even with snow rain and ice.

To calculate how much pvc you'll need:

Take the width of the drive way (or just a tad more for each side) in feet and mulitply by PI (3.14) and divide by 2. You'll have the amount in feet of PVC you'll need.

Chris

wow that roof over your driveway is huge! and its also probably one of the sturdiest things ive ever seen! awesome job!

anyway guys i went to home depot and found this.

3/4" Electrical PVC will work fine for what i wanted.

I am only going over a single car driveway, so nothing special.

yesterday i drove some stakes into the ground 5 feet apart on each side. and then i pieces the PVC together to make arches. (10 pieces total to make 5 arches)

they turned out so much better then i expected! then i painted them black and today just wrapped each arch with 150 Multi colored lights.

I was so happy and inpressed with how much of an awesome effect it created i decided to break out my show computer and make a sequence. i didnt get a chance to video it or take any pictures so youl have 2 w8 until i put them back up (near halloween) for pics ect :)

but truly amazing for only 5 channels. what a HUGE effect!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We have arches over our driveway. I believe there are about 30 of them. We used the plain cheap pvc and this is our 3rd year using them and we have not had a problem. We used 3 - 10ft pieces in each section so that cars could drive under them. Have not had any problems with them and we are making about 20 more this year.

I use 1 1/4 " Schedule 40. The key (IMO) is to buy the 20' sticks and not try to put 2 10' sections together. I slip the pipes over rebar that I drive into the ground about 6"-9". 1 1/2" is pretty tough to bend, so beware.

My driveway is 16' wide. Therefore, I have actually added a 3' section to each side of my 20' stick to make the total length equal 26'. It's about 7 feet tall or so in the middle so I can still drive my car into the garage.

I set up 4 over my driveway. They are two colors (white/red). The white is 8 channels and so I can do the "leaping" affect as well.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the arch and how I store them and you can see more on my website. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Brian