I got info from the postman today.

A couple of weeks ago,I asked my postman if he had heard about the rule against re-using old Priority Mail shipping boxes turned inside-out. He said he hadn't and that he would check at the station and let me know what he'd find out. Today,he told me that his manager hadn't heard of that rule OR anything about NOT being able to ship packages in brown paper. So,the general consensus that I'm getting,is that whatever rules the Postmaster General is coming up with,they aren't getting communicated properly or not told to all stations or employees. I've talked to several different employees about these rules and most of them have never heard of them. So I told him that the USPS website should clearly state them in red font "NEW REGULATIONS FOR SHIPPING" so everyone can read them and know what's what. He agreed. But it seems that I'll never know what the h*** is going on. Maybe I should write to the head office of the Postmaster General myself? I probably won't get an email back since he's the head honcho and gets a lot of email. If anyone finds a web page connected to the USPS site that has the right info on all of this,please post it. Thanks.:)

They recently did the same thing to me...I shipped a package wrapped in brown paper and they removed it...

Was it just one employee there to do it,or was there an agent giving permission to do it? I was informed last week that an agent has to be there to give the employee an okay to do it.

The reason you aren't supposed to wrap it in paper is because the odds are the paper will get shredded during processing and when it does the address disappears along with it.

(Yes, I really do know everything. :P)

I've heard the same reasoning from UPS and Fedex.

Chuck..if you know everything, how much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? I've always wanted to know that and....how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Chuck..if you know everything, how much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? I've always wanted to know that and....how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

One,if you bite really hard. I guess that's not a lick then?

The reason you aren't supposed to wrap it in paper is because the odds are the paper will get shredded during processing and when it does the address disappears along with it.

(Yes, I really do know everything. :P)

You should paste a pic of your head on an old photo of the floating Wizard of Oz head. "The Chuck of Oz". hyuck,hyuck!

I've heard the same reasoning from UPS and Fedex.

how much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck wood!

When someone brings me a package at FedEx wrapped in brown paper, I ask them the following:

1. Can we remove the brown paper?

I then explain why (the address/labels can come off and the package won't get where it's going when it has nowhere to go).

If the answer is yes, I either let them remove the paper, or I remove the paper for them. If not I ask them:

2. Can we sell you a box to put it in?

If yes, they buy a box. If no then I give the option of wrapping the entire package in tape, which makes it a challenge for the recipient to get into it.

Normally it doesn't get past question 1, and very rarely does it get past 2. I just want to make sure their package gets where it needs to when it needs to without any disruptions along the way.

When someone brings me a package at FedEx wrapped in brown paper, I ask them the following:

1. Can we remove the brown paper?

I then explain why (the address/labels can come off and the package won't get where it's going when it has nowhere to go).

If the answer is yes, I either let them remove the paper, or I remove the paper for them. If not I ask them:

If I wrap anything in brown paper,I automatically write the addresses on the original box anyway,just in case.

You folks are making me feel my age. I remember when the Post Office recommended not only that packages be wrapped in brown paper but that you should also wrap and tie them with twine. Guess those were the days before automated shredding, I mean, processing.

You folks are making me feel my age. I remember when the Post Office recommended not only that packages be wrapped in brown paper but that you should also wrap and tie them with twine. Guess those were the days before automated shredding, I mean, processing.

Denny,

Me too. I remember my grandmother had a ball of string that we used for EVERYTHING. We didn't have much tape at all. Cellophane tape would yellow, crack and loose it's "stickyness". We used that string to tie up everything from packages, to stacks of paper and magazines.

I couldn't find a ball of good string in a store to save my life. We are all used to tape and premade boxes, even though string (from cotton or other biodegradeable fiber) would be more environmental friendly, but not as secure or robust as tape.

Remember the old Lepage's Mucilage paper glue with the rubber tip. The glue would get hard and brittle and the rubber tip would fall apart and get glue EVERYWHERE.

DrHudd

feeling old

Denny,

Remember the old Lepage's Mucilage paper glue with the rubber tip. The glue would get hard and brittle and the rubber tip would fall apart and get glue EVERYWHERE.

DrHudd

feeling old

Then I guess I'm feeling old too,because I remember using that glue also.:P

They recently did the same thing to me...I shipped a package wrapped in brown paper and they removed it...
Oh I see, they just remove it because it might fall off and this just guarantees it.

I used to drop the first ice cube that I tried to get out of the tray, so now I just pitch one on the floor first. I haven’t had the problem since.

Whatever the case may be about wrapping and boxes, a lot of people want to re-use the boxes inside-out simply because it makes sense to recycle them. If the post office was so concerned about the way their boxes are being used, I wish they would set up a drop-off system where people that use their boxes for a one-time use can bring them for recycling. It doesn't make any sense to use them once and then throw them away,causing the USPS THEMSELVES to buy more and more of them every year. Why not take back the product when not needed to recycle. They can still give them out for free for Priority Mail use for the next customer. They're still getting the shipping money and they could save more money by recycling them themselves instead of going to another party to buy new ones. It would make the public feel they were doing something good for the environment and save them some money in the long run. Aren't they in the red anyway? And they should also make the search engine on their site more inclusive to the rules and regulations of the USPS itself. So many times I have typed in something I was looking for on their site and had gotten links to other website links that had nothing to do with what I was looking for. Instead,I would get links to news articles related to the USPS.

• 2 weeks later...

...<snip> Maybe I should write to the head office of the Postmaster General myself? I probably won't get an email back since he's the head honcho and gets a lot of email. If anyone finds a web page connected to the USPS site that has the right info on all of this,please post it. Thanks.:)

It's the USPS, not the USePS. I suspect a real hand written, envelope stuffed, postage paid letter would stand a much better chance of being read by the Postmaster General. It is, after all, their business to sell stamps. :D

Just my .02 worth

Larry

It's the USPS, not the USePS. I suspect a real hand written, envelope stuffed, postage paid letter would stand a much better chance of being read by the Postmaster General. It is, after all, their business to sell stamps. :D

Just my .02 worth

Larry

I guess I'll see what the other folks in the neighborhood do since they are filing a class-action lawsuit against our post office. Yes,it's that bad. We had a lady here in the neighborhood that sold her home but couldn't close on the house because her paperwork didn't arrive in the mail to her house. We have those cluster mailboxes that lock where everyone goes to one area to check their mail. She had to follow the postal carrier around the neighborhood to every box to find the paperwork. It turned up on the other side of neighborhood in someone else's box,two weeks later. She couldn't close on her house and the new buyers couldn't move in until it was found. If she hadn't had the idea to follow the mail carrier around,she might have had to refile the papers. I've found all of the mail boxes left wide open because the carrier didn't check to lock them. I found someones box wide open with a new box of blank checks justing waiting to be stolen. So I delivered them to the neighbor myself. I get my neighbors mail in my box all the time. I wonder who's getting my mail all the time. Someone signed for a Christmas present that was to come to me and I never got it from that person. The carrier got the wrong address and the wrong person to sign for it. And when I tried to get the manager of the station to find out what house it went to or who the postal carrier was that delivered it,she gave me the brush off like I was imaging things. That was the beginning of my problems with her and the post office and that was five years ago. Since then,nothing but problems for me AND my neighbors. I got more of my neighbors mail last night,that I have to give to them yet again. This happens at least once a week now. I don't get any of my bills sent to my house anymore. I deal with them online now since I don't know when they will show up or not. Everything else important gets delivered to my office. All I get now in that box is junk mail.

that's just sad that a mail carrier is one our lowest common denominator persons

I wouldn't say that. I get great service from the post office near my office. It's just this one station and it's under a major cleaning right now. The manager is in major trouble for some things that she has done. There is corruption involved.