Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Coen

Large Indoor Nativity in Ohio

Hi all. If you are in Lancaster, Ohio this advent season, please stop in and see my nativity display at Crossroads Ministry Center, 2095 West Fair Avenue. This is an almost life-size Fontanini display that gets cooler every year. The display is made possible through memorial gifts and is designed so you feel like you are "in" the display yourself! This year we are adding a produce cart, a tunnel to the shepherd's field and a bakery which I plan to have the smell of baked bread coming from! You'll want to bring a camera because it is stunning. The display hours are Wednesdays and Sundays from 6-9 p.m. in December and the kickoff is a Nativity Festival on November 29th from 6-9 p.m. (You can display your nativity there as well!) I would post a picture but I am computer challenged.

We are open on Sunday and Wednesday evenings from 6-9 p.m.

This year we added more LED lighting, stars and an additional smell. Hope you will stop in if you are in the area!

Gave me goosebumps just watching the video. Absolutely awesome! I am going to try to bring my family to see it....we live in North Canton. It looks like it would be worth a road trip!

If you could come on Dec 12, you could also see our Blacklight Christmas Show! Showtimes are 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. with acticities for the family in between. Admission for the show is $3. That would DEFINITELY make the trip worthwhile!:)

This year we are adding a forced perspective street to make the little town of Bethlehem a little bigger! Also adding more LED lighting. The first chance to see this will be at our Nativity Festival on November 27 from 6-9 p.m. at Crossroads, 2095 West Fair Ave. Lancaster, Ohio. Admission is FREE! LOTS of nativities will be on display this night.

Our Nativity Festival is this Sunday, December 2 from 6-8:30 p.m. LOTS of nativities on display along with live music and free refreshments. It's all free to enjoy! PLUS the walk-through Fontanini display opens that night. The walk-through will also be open every Sunday, Wednesday and Friday night in December from 6-9 p.m.

Here's a video from this year! We just added a standing angel and Abraham, a man sitting at the end of our forced perspective street!

We are adding Alexander the Centurian and Rachel this year along with some updated candle effects! Our Nativity Festival (one night only) is November 30 from 6-8:30 p.m. Our walk-through nativity is open every Sunday, Wednesday and Friday in December from 6-p.m.

Now open for the 2015 season! New this year is a bagpiper, woman with child a stable and housing for the camel that arrived last year (along with a fisherman!)

Nativity Billboard.jpg