Does anyone else do this

Hi again...

I was wondering does anyone else do this and is it wrong of me...Ok it's December 19th you are at Wal-Mart or any other store, some decorations are already on sale but something you really want... say a gemmy holiday light show and a big lite up ornament are not. So you nonchallantly pick up said items place them in you cart and stroll off as casually as possible. Then finding a corner of the store where no one is you move the items off the shelf, then put your claim on the shelf then put everything else back the way it was making sure it can't be seen. You then finish your shopping go home and wait five days then when stores open on December 26th you fly to the store and get what you've hid then go get other things and then check out, telling everyone who ask you where you found it " umm .... it was over by the hardware I guess somebody put it back down..."

...lol Just wondering

I wouldn't even consider doing that:mad:I use to work in retail as a manager for 15 years. People would often try to do exactly what you described. I intentionally would walk through the departments looking for merchandise stashes..when I'd find them, we'd remove the stock and put it back where it belonged. Its a fairly common thing, costs millions of dollars each year, and in our store if we caught you, you didn't get the discount..period.

If you need it that bad, buy it on the 19th, return it on the 26th and try to re-purchase it on the 27th if its still there. At least this is within most of the stores return policies.

Most store's policies specifically disallow that for seasonal merchandise these days...

This topic has come up here before. Some will swear it's not "stealing" because they're still buying it. But like Chuck et. al. said, you're depriving the store of a profit that they would have made if you hadn't messed around. It's really no better than taking a $10 string of LED's and sticking it in a $2 incandescent box and walking to the register.

-Tim

Most store's policies specifically disallow that for seasonal merchandise these days...

This topic has come up here before. Some will swear it's not "stealing" because they're still buying it. But like Chuck et. al. said, you're depriving the store of a profit that they would have made if you hadn't messed around. It's really no better than taking a $10 string of LED's and sticking it in a $2 incandescent box and walking to the register.

-Tim

I'm not advocating doing this but Wal-Mart's return policy is 90 days on most items. If another store sells the same item cheaper then I'm going to return the item and purchase it there. This can happen on Christmas items and I'm going to use there policy if I needed and did last year.

I returned lights purchased at 50% and returned them when they were 75% off. The only difference is I didn't go back and try to repurchase them as I did feel this was wrong.

I did confront the manager who did not want to take the items back with there return policy and he did back down because I was right and had his policy printed out so he could see it. The end results was I was out to prove a point and I'm not a confrontational type person.

http://walmartstores.com/7737.aspx

I'm not advocating doing this but Wal-Mart's return policy is 90 days on most items.

Thanks for clarifying. I shop a lot more at Target than WM, and know Target specifically disallows returns on seasonal merchandise that has gone on clearance, except at the current clearance price... That's because they were sick of people doing stuff like buying an artificial tree, using it, then taking it back 2 days after Christmas because "it just didn't work out".

-Tim

Thanks for clarifying. I shop a lot more at Target than WM, and know Target specifically disallows returns on seasonal merchandise that has gone on clearance, except at the current clearance price... That's because they were sick of people doing stuff like buying an artificial tree, using it, then taking it back 2 days after Christmas because "it just didn't work out".

-Tim

I have no problems buying something at full price and asking for the difference if it goes on sale (notice I didn't say ON CLEARANCE).

If I buy something Nov 25, and Dec 10 it goes on sale, I go in and ask for the difference. Otherwise, it gets returned at full price with the receipt, and then re-purchased at the sale price (I've had to do this at KMart who will 'price match' up to 30 days, but will allow for returns of non-clearanced merch for 90).

Since it's not clearanced I treat it the same as other merch. The difference is that I bear the risk: If the item doesn't go on sale, I eat the whole cost. If I try to wait it out to pick it up on clearance, and then it's gone -- too bad.

Once anything is clearanced, all bets are off.

I don't even go back to get the sale price on anything I bought at full price. I would spend more in gas than what it is worth.

Well... It all depends on where you live and how much you save ;)

If it's $20 and kMart is 3 miles away, I'm getting my $20.

If it's $1 and it's an hour drive. Forget it!:cool:

Well... It all depends on where you live and how much you save ;)

If it's $20 and kMart is 3 miles away, I'm getting my $20.

If it's $1 and it's an hour drive. Forget it!:cool:

I live in the middle of nowhere so yeah, for me it isn't worth it. It takes a minimum of 15 miles to get to any store worth buying anything. Most are at least a half hour away. Maybe if I got 30 mpg it would be worth it.

Sorry I didn't know it was that bad I only saved like $35 (which i know is still a lot or at least it is to me). But the day I did it they had at least 20 of each item i got I know for a fact. And I knew they would go quick, and last year I couldn't drive myself so I knew I couldn't get there early enough to get one ( because nobody else wants to go to every store buying half off stuff the day after first thing in the morning) And when i finally got there there were none left on the shelf so somebody had already got them. But i know they still had them there on the shelf at Christmas eve b/c i looked at the stuff while doing last minute shopping. So if anyone wanted to pay full price they had a chance.... but i didn't realize it was that bad I wont do it again I'm sorry I just wanted it so bad and I would've waited but I knew they would all be gone by the time i got there..... but now i can drive this year so I can get there early so it won't happen again so sorry about all of this ... I am ashamed :(

I am really sorry about this whole thing. All I wanted was a garantee that I could get one if there were any left. I never intended on stealing from the store or anything. But that still doesn't matter. What I did WAS wrong and I feel terrible about this whole thing it wont happen again.... :(

Don't take it too hard. As Mike pointed out, this subject comes up every now and then. When it does, we try to emphasize the "it's not right" side of it since it's usually someone young that hasn't thought through all of the implications of what they are doing.

At least you have learned a valuable lesson.

Next time, try to think if you would do whatever it is you are considering doing if YOU owned the store. If the answer is "#$% no!" then you probably shouldn't do it.

I am really sorry about this whole thing. All I wanted was a garantee that I could get one if there were any left. I never intended on stealing from the store or anything. But that still doesn't matter. What I did WAS wrong and I feel terrible about this whole thing it wont happen again.... :(

You are forgiven..go..and sin no more ;)

Like Chuck said, you've learned a lesson and you're young. That is what we are all here for, to help each other and sometimes offer a bit of advice.

Guest showtime

:)I have never thought about doing something like that, but I have to say yes your learned a lesson and got some great adivice. Glad you stepped up to the plate and posted your sorry for what happened . Lots of great people here with good advice!:) O yes and feel free to post in the Im sorry thread:D

You have a good point Chuck, I'll keep that in mind. Thanx for the forgiveness I feel better now. I know im young and strange enough i kind of like getting advice from people older than me It lets me know they care enough to warn me not to do something stupid or wrong ... Thanx for all your advice you guys are great....