Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Douggg

Found a source for 12V 10A DC Universal Regulated PS for LOR

I was looking for lighs and other stuff on eBay and found a 12V 10A DC Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply for $15 plus $15 for shipping or $30.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230378332360

I was thinking of buying a DC LOR controller for LEDs and have been looking for a PS. (I might be wrong, but isn't this a good price?)

Anyone know how many LED can be powered with 10a?

Douggg

The listing states that it is a "Switching Power Supply". The supply will generate some electrical noise at the switching frequency (typically > 20 KHz).

This is a commonly used method of getting higher current ratings for cheaper cost. In most uses the switching noise does not cause a problem.

It's probably overkill, but I plan using Linearly Regulated power supplies when I venture into DC control. Linear supplies are much cleaner (and much more expensive).

OK group,

it's time to do some math hear. :-)

let say that we use a 12v @10 amp power supply and divided 10 amp into 16 Channel we get 0.625 ma per Channel.

now we are planning to use the MR-16 LEDs most are 12v @ 2w this come out at 0.16666666666666666666666666666667ma . let round this off to 0.167 ma.

if we add up four of MR-16s @ 0.167 ma. ea.

0.167 ma. X 4 =0.668 ma. well we are over our limit so we can only use three of the MR-16 LEDs

as this out to 0.501ma per Channel.

hear an other one to do, have some leds are .020ma each

we take .020 ma X 312 LEDs = 0.600 ma

hear link to a calculator to help you.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

:121_reindeer: I forgot to that Controller Use 300 milliamp :121_reindeer:so that will be .600 ma per Channel that we can!

Edited by Jerry Plak

What's the cost on that type of PS?

I just did some quick searching, and the short answer is way too much. The prices aren't even close to practical for a display.

Just be aware that switching supplies do generate electrical noise. Try to keep them and the loads they supply (lights and cords) away from the LOR communication lines.

The DC controllers (LOR or D-Light) both use "switching" power for their output anyway (400 Hz). I would feel pretty safe in saying they aren't going to be very sensitive to the small ripple from a power supply. Put a ferrite bead on it if you are really concerned.

http://www.granburychristmaslights.com/DCx16.html

JonB

Is an MR-16 a string? The calculation you made is 16 times more. I did some looking, and the current draw of an LED is around is 10ma.

So a 10a PS would power around a 1,000 LEDs. (10/.01=100)

Look like my earlier guess was way off. (Don't worry, I'm in the Army, atomic munitions sighting – If I’m off by this magnitude with an atomic bomb it’s still close enough.)

I just got one of those, Just the 24V 10A version and from a different Ebuyer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-10A-DC-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ390058326006QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad149b7f6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Its even $5 cheaper :-)

Did a quick test with the LOR DC controller and it seems to work 100%

How many LED's can it supply? Im my case, my LED strings (100ct) uses 8W per string

so, with 120W supply you can have 15 strings on at the same time. (30 in my case since i have 240W)

I will use it for my homebuild LED elements eg. my Holdman star. I prefer 24V because i can use thinner wires and will use less resistors.

/Kim

Guest Lightzilla

10a could run 14,350 LEDs or 20 strings of 70 count LEDs and 1 string of 35 count LEDs.....and 15 amps could run 21,525 LEDs

A 70 count LED light string pushes 0.04 amps

Or look at it this way......1,435 LEDs vs 300 incandescence mini lights on 1 amp