Does Anybody Else Hate LED's?

present?????????????????

Haha! After four years of Barry O and a democrat controlled congress the good old U.S. of A. is going to be an "obama-nation." We'll see how many of us are going to be able to continue this hobby when the energy rates increase 90% under the new energy policy. Not trying to get political here but it's another good reason to make the switch to LEDs.:giggle:

In the Lynx Express we have something we call Light Normilization Technology that does that per channel. But it easier than what you are showing. You just pick the brand and type of lights you are using and which channels has which ones on it. The neat part is you do not have to give up any of the 255 levels of control you get in DMX to do it so you can still fully controll your DMX motion devices ect. We just added four times the level of dimming so we can do it without limitations.

The neat part is not only does each light then come on at level 1 and max out at level 100 or 255, the lights ramp at the same rate so that 30% is 30% output and 60% is 60% output. Makes your show look exactly like what it does on the preview so you do not have to tweak it after setup.

Heres a picture of what it looks like.

RJ

post-6384-129571152561_thumb.jpg

This is one of the reasons why I think I think there should be an adjustment feature per channel in LOR ............

That is actually the exact feature I am using with the program Vixen.

I have setup almost ALL of my lights channels to a custom dimming curve, I've got ones for the LEDs ones for incandescants (by color and brand), one for C9s (power hogs.... especially almost 2000 of them.) One area I saw a HUGE improvement of how the lights "looked" was in my ropelight - with the dimming curve set (14% to 70%) the fade ins and outs are significantly smoother.

Since I've noticed (along with many others I'm sure) there is a "neglegable" difference on most lights from 80% to 100% almost everything has this range just cut off. I will also get the "side benefit" to this of saving just a little bit of power also.

The LED issue is also cleaned up - I can have LEDs and incandescants right next to each other, and both look good - the only way you can tell what is LED is the LEDs have pure color, where a lot of the incandescants are faded a bit.

Below is a screen capture of the curve generator.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23564&stc=1&d=1254159578

post-2580-129571152603_thumb.jpg

Edited by fkostyun
spulling

Not trying to start a fight, but how did Senator Obama vote?

He voted the same way I did. LED lights are not real Christmas lights. Saying they are is like saying a smokeless cigarette is a real cigarette. Or neer beer is drinking.

You guys can put up all the LED lights you want, but don't start calling them Christmas Lights. Christmas Lights are either bulbs that screw into a C-9, C-7 or push into a mini socket, are made out of glass and break when you drop them, they give off lots of heat and make your electric meter spin like crazy.

If you can't afford to do an electrical upgrade to several hundred amps and pay the bill when it comes, get out of the game. This is for real.

LED'S ARE FOR SISSY'S!

But then, I really don't have an opinion on them.

This year I will use blue and red LED's and white incandecents. I too tried the cool white LED icicles and didnt like the look at all. I cant seem to find red LED icicles so I may just put C9's on the PVC with the blue LED and white incandecents icicles.

I knew somebody would have a scientific explanation for LED color, thanks XMASGUY.

I agree completely, I also like the Cool White Color, but just can't make the conversion to all white LED. I have dropped at least $2K this year making the conversion to LOR, what with controllers, electrical upgrades, SPT2 wire, etc. Geez, hope the wife doesn't read this.

The good news to all this is that I did the light test last night; temporarily hung a set of the warm white on the gutters near a some clear incandesecent minis and was actually please with the match. You have to really focus to notice any difference.

Glad to hear that the WW's should work out for you!

My main dislpay will remain all incandescent mini's... but i also run some LEDs as an

after-hours thing...for that this year i plan to use both WW and CW together (in reality

i have no idea of how thats gonna look) using CARS8's words "silver and gold" is a good

name for it LOL

Haha! After four years of Barry O and a democrat controlled congress the good old U.S. of A. is going to be an "obama-nation." We'll see how many of us are going to be able to continue this hobby when the energy rates increase 90% under the new energy policy. Not trying to get political here but it's another good reason to make the switch to LEDs.

90% :eek: LOL i'm sure thats just a crazy rumor

I fully expect power rates to go UP but nothing like that...but lets say they it went

up even 50% i'm done - no more display :eek: (plus i'd very likely be selling off my tropical

fish and houseplants :eek: :eek:)...don't expect that to happen tho..50% would be a giant

increase.

Oh and i'm glad i figured out what to type to get this: :eek: LOL i like that one.

Are we allowed to talk political on this forum?:giggle:

excuse me if I indulge just a little bit.

politician=bad

businessman=bad

republican=politician

democrat=politician

businessman=politician

I always roll my eyes when I hear people supporting or talking down on some politician or political group.

I can assure you that almost all politicians are BAD, are controlled by big business, and have done nothing but surely run our country into the ground.

Don't like Clinton? What did Bush do to fix Clinton's wrongs? Don't like Bush? Think Obama will undo any of his wrongs??

Think any President will bring back our status as the Industrial Superpower?? NO.

Don't be surprised if inflation is the hallmark of Obama's tenure, however he inherited most of it, he is also willing, like any president to compound the problem.

Anyways, glad everyone is satisfied with their recent WW LED purchases! Someday I'll use LEDs to, but for the meanwhile I just keep on keepin' on with my stash of incandescents.

90% :eek: LOL i'm sure thats just a crazy rumor

I fully expect power rates to go UP but nothing like that...but lets say they it went

up even 50% i'm done - no more display :eek: (plus i'd very likely be selling off my tropical

fish and houseplants :eek: :eek:)...don't expect that to happen tho..50% would be a giant

increase.

Oh and i'm glad i figured out what to type to get this: :eek: LOL i like that one.

Not a crazy rumor...

Here's a link to the articles, SF examiner and the Wall Street Journal.

My entire display is and will remain LED, I'm okay that they look different, I believe it's the right thing to do. BMcGeeny can use his electric meeter as a fan to cool those hot incandescents but I'll bite the bullet and go with LEDs. Besides, there are a lot of really cool RGB things, flexible strips, floods, etc that you just can't do with incandescents! I'm really excited to see what comes out in the next few years.

Edited by magii

:eek: OMG :eek: if any of that comes to be i'll be eBay'ing even more lights than I

already have... plus a bunch of other stuff too :(

The next President & Congress are gonna have a huge mess to clean up no matter what

My entire display is and will remain LED, I'm okay that they look different, I believe it's the right thing to do. BMcGeeny can use his electric meeter as a fan to cool those hot incandescents but I'll bite the bullet and go with LEDs. Besides, there are a lot of really cool RGB things, flexible strips, floods, etc that you just can't do with incandescents! I'm really excited to see what comes out in the next few years.

I prefer the look of LEDs in general (don't get me wrong, normal lights look good

...but LEDs look 'Great' LOL) the colors are so much more vivid...and while some do

fade in brightness over time, the color itself stays the same :)

I'd love to see someone come out with a RGB LED string ... that would be cool